Low on internal memory, SD card empty...

Steve91T

Reaction score
I've been dealing with a slow droid for a while now. Stock droid, 13 months old. I've been getting a message about low storage. Right now, I have 14.5 GB available on the SD card, and only 52 MB on internal storage. I have almost all my apps on the SD card, and few pics and movies in the gallery I don't know where the pics and bids are saving to. My phone has been locking up, slow to load the home page, and is now often so slow at using the on screen keyboard, that its unusable. Of course this is not all the time. I just dumped all my texts and most of my vidaeos and pics, so its doing better.

Why can't I use my SD card? It seems everything saves to internal storage. The more pics and videos, along with texts, the slower it gets.

I have version 2.2 and haven't gotten a message for the latest update. Phone says system is up to date.

Thanks,
Steve

hatcyl

Reaction score
50mb internal sounds about right.

If its too bad don't be afraid of a factory reset, it'll give you a fresh start.

After a year of installing / uninstalling apps its probably a good idea.

You might just have too many services and widgets running.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
S

Steve91T

Reaction score
I can do that myself, right? What will be lost? Everything? What about my contacts?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Your Dalvik is gummed up, your internal text/etc cache is full, and you haven't moved an app to the SD card even though you've had the capability for months.

If you were rooted I'd have more options, but the best I can offer is move as many apps to SD as you can and a factory reset might be in order.

You can do a manual update if you wish, but that's not going to help your internal storage problems; might even make them worse.

harrellj

Reaction score
If you go into settings > accounts and sync > your account, do you have contact sync enabled? If so, they'll show up at google.com/contacts and will also sync back down to your phone after the factory reset (as long as you use the same account of course). All your purchased apps are associated with your Google account as well, so those will be available in the market. Some (or all) of your free apps may auto-install for you as well. The biggest problem with a factory sync is losing any save progress in any games and also reconfiguring apps (and signing back into the various accounts).

The factory reset basically takes the phone back to out of the box condition, but your Google account has a lot of your information saved on Google's servers.

hatcyl

Reaction score
Yes you can do it yourself.

1. There is an option in the settings to back up all your apps and settings with google. UNCHECK that, you don't want to factory reset and have everything come back.

2. Everything will be gone. You can redownload apps that you've bought before for free.

3. Contacts and email are on google servers. Those SHOULD come back (they will just resync)

OP
S

Steve91T

Reaction score
Maybe I should just have Verizon do it, so I know they will transfer my contact info. I can't afford to loose them.

One more question, why can't I save pics and other info to the SD card? Other phone have the option to save to the SD, but mine does not.
Steve

OP
S

Steve91T

Reaction score
Your Dalvik is gummed up, your internal text/etc cache is full, and you haven't moved an app to the SD card even though you've had the capability for months.

If you were rooted I'd have more options, but the best I can offer is move as many apps to SD as you can and a factory reset might be in order.

You can do a manual update if you wish, but that's not going to help your internal storage problems; might even make them worse.

What do you mean I haven't moved an app to the SD? How do you know that? I even said in my first post that nearly all my apps are on the SD.

Steve

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
I missed that. My apologies.

Instead of focusing on what I missed because I was in a hurry to help why not look at the rest of the post and see if any of it can help you out. Word of advice -- if you decide to root to fix any of these problems then do it now because it becomes a lot harder after the update.

OP
S

Steve91T

Reaction score
I missed that. My apologies.

Instead of focusing on what I missed because I was in a hurry to help why not look at the rest of the post and see if any of it can help you out. Word of advice -- if you decide to root to fix any of these problems then do it now because it becomes a lot harder after the update.

While I appreciate your help, I didn't appreciate your assumptions. Offering quick advice without even reading my post isn't helpful. I've researched rooting my phone, and decided it wasn't for me. Even still, I shouldn't be having these issues.

Again, I mean no harm....just saying.

That being said, I'm still trying to figure out how to save pics to my SD.

Thanks,
Steve

hatcyl

Reaction score
Actually, your pictures should automatically save to your SD card (and a factory reset won't erase those)

To make sure, you. Can download any file explorer from the market, you'll be able to see what's on your SD card. Or you can just plug your phone to your computer and navigate your SD card that way.