Looking for ROM suggestion

knw257

Reaction score
So, recently upgraded to ICS, and looking at installing a custom ROM. I'm looking for a couple specific, though minor, features. First, I want to be able to customize the apps available from the new circular slide-lock feature (i.e. instead of having the slide-down app be the text messaging app, change it to the Google Voice app). I'd also like the ability to set different lock-screen and home-screen backgrounds. I'm guessing most custom ROM's have this, but the ability to use the built-in Wi-Fi tethering without a 3rd party app would be nice as well.

Any suggestions you guys have would be appreciated, as would links to info about where those ROM's (and instructions with which to install them). Thanks.

auronis

Reaction score
I'm also looking for some ROMs, and functional download links. Hopefully with working data, camera, and some additional customization options like CM7 had on my Thunderbolt.

So far I've read about CM9, CM10, AOKP, and Eclipse.

From what I've been able to download and flash, CM9/10 don't have working camera or solid data (I can only find Kexec builds, maybe an older one works?)

AOKP I cannot find a working download link for, and Eclipse works well but is very similar to stock without much customization (lock screen, pull down notifications, ui/interface/status bar, etc.)

Can anyone help me fill in the holes here? I'm sure I must be missing some info

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
The problem with roms (except Eclipse) is that they are built to run off their own kernel and we have a locked bootloader so loading a custom kernel was out of the question. But recently (google kexec & android) it has become possible so in the coming weeks/months we'll see more stable CM/AOKP/Gummi roms because of the kexec.

For now Eclipse is the most stable out of the bunch.

kenji91

Reaction score
I've had very few issues with Z4ck's AOKP ROMs, the latest being Skyl1n3 (the ICS one, not the kexec/JB one). It's extremely customizable.

auronis

Reaction score
I've had very few issues with Z4ck's AOKP ROMs, the latest being Skyl1n3 (the ICS one, not the kexec/JB one). It's extremely customizable.

Would you be able to help me with a download link? I've seen several of his threads where the OP has been completely erased. The other main issue is a lot of these ROMs were on Rombot which is now down, and I'm struggling to find working mirrors.

kwyrt

Reaction score
Would you be able to help me with a download link? I've seen several of his threads where the OP has been completely erased. The other main issue is a lot of these ROMs were on Rombot which is now down, and I'm struggling to find working mirrors.

+1 for AOKP Skyline. The link is still up in the OP. It's the Phase 1 link.

Droid 4 - AOKP Skyline

auronis

Reaction score
Thanks guys, looks like we have a lot more fun ahead of us with the new kexec builds! dancedroid

OP
K

knw257

Reaction score
Sorry for my ignorance here (i don't keep up with android development news as much as i should), but could someone explain/link what kexec is exactly. Would be appreciated.