looking for a new phone thats out currently

abullock22

Reaction score
I currently have an OG Driod which broke on me a few weeks back, i originally wanted to hold out for the SG2 but thats been pushed back, i then decided to wait for the bionic - seems thats now about to be pushed back, ive not had a phone now for 3-4 weeks and i really cant wait any longer to be without - so what would you suggest i should look into regarding decent phones that are out now, Im a big (or was) internet user on the phone as well as email/keeping up with the social networks, not so much into rooting, but would like to have that option down the line when it starts to get slow. I am in a 4g area so that would be of use. so which phone should i look into, would like to get something by this weekend!!!

JRParsons

Reaction score
Pretty simple, thunderbolt or charge. Go try them both out and get the one that feels right for you. If you ask 100 people in these forums which one is better, you'll get 50 saying tbolt and 50 saying charge. Your gonna love the 4G, but hate the effect it has on your battery. I like my tbolt but have never even picked up a charge. So I can't give you an unbiased opinion. I'm assuming your on Verizon, if not, I can't help, I'm not familiar with other carrier's phones.

When your trying them out see if there is any lag on the Charge. And remember the tbolt's battery life is horrible (as little as 5 hours under heavy use with 4G enabled. But tweaked just right and 4G on only when needed, you should get about 12 hours) Otherwise I think you'll be happy with either.
Sent from my Illudium PU-36 Explosive Space Modulator

comk4ver

Reaction score
What about getting a dummy phone? While waiting for the phone you want? Or use an old phone that you might have handy?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
I currently have an OG Driod which broke on me a few weeks back, i originally wanted to hold out for the SG2 but thats been pushed back, i then decided to wait for the bionic - seems thats now about to be pushed back, ive not had a phone now for 3-4 weeks and i really cant wait any longer to be without - so what would you suggest i should look into regarding decent phones that are out now, Im a big (or was) internet user on the phone as well as email/keeping up with the social networks, not so much into rooting, but would like to have that option down the line when it starts to get slow. I am in a 4g area so that would be of use. so which phone should i look into, would like to get something by this weekend!!!

IMO try them out in the stores, get hands on feel for it. good luck...

ALOHA from Hawaii

Last edited:
OP
A

abullock22

Reaction score
thanks guys, yes im on verizon so tbolt or charge sounds like a good starting point - thanks.
regarding battery life can you disable the 4g if you need to?
As for the dummy phone, or an old phone, i dont have one, and to be honest id rather just get a decent phone the first round and be done especially now with all the waiting around ive already been doing, it would of been nice to get a phone just as it came out but for my situation its not worth hanging on any longer...if only my droid had lasted that little bit longer

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
If you don't need 4G then I would go with the droid 3. If I had to get a phone tomorrow that would be what I would get.

JRParsons

Reaction score
You can disable the 4G on the thunderbolt, not sure about the charge. The D3 is supposed to be a really good phone, but now that I've had 4G I wouldn't get anything else.

mamawm

Reaction score
You can disable the 4G on the thunderbolt, not sure about the charge. The D3 is supposed to be a really good phone, but now that I've had 4G I wouldn't get anything else.

you can on the charge too. we live in a 3g area and my husband set his to cdma only. bye the way, he loves his charge.

The_Rick_14

Reaction score
If you don't need 4G then I would go with the droid 3. If I had to get a phone tomorrow that would be what I would get.

This.

To me the dual-core means more than 4G. I have the luxury of waiting to see if I can get both in the Bionic, but I've really liked the Droid3 in the time I've played with it at the Verizon store.

bendystrawboy

Reaction score
if you don't plan on rooting i'd go for the charge.
if you plan on rooting go for the tbolt.

its odd how much better a tbolt is after rooting and putting a rom on it, i have no idea why verizon hasn't updated it yet.

kookk

Reaction score
I tried a dx2 after my d1 and hated it. I got a tb today and I am nothing but impressed. Sure the dual core was nice but sense, 4g, unlocked boot, non pixelated screen and ffc more than make up for it.

Also I feel the complaints about the tb battery are exaggerated. It definitely isn't the best, but it isn't worse than my og.

googlelover

Reaction score
Or you can get a phone, then use the 15 day return window to get the bionic if it comes out on Aug. 4.

OP
A

abullock22

Reaction score
well it would be nice if the bionic comes out within my 15 day time frame, i went to the verizon store and checked out the tbolt and charge last night - the charge is ugly as sin but from the reviews i quickly scanned through it seems it has less battery issues and gps issues so i might pick up the charge today - that 4g connection is lightning fast though!
thanks for the input everyone!