Looking for a good tutorial/guide for my new razr maxx

DethDroid

Reaction score
Hi All...I have been searching for a good tutorial/guide for my new razr maxx can anyone suggest anything? Honestly I am going through a lot of stress in RL at the moment and I just cannot seem to wrap my brain around my new phone at all. I was hoping it would give me some escape but its just making me more confused :blink: I guess I need a bit of hand holding right now...thanks :)

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Yeah, more details on exactly what kind of information you're looking for would be helpful. You can browse and search throughout the RAZR forum and the RAZR MAXX forum for a variety of topics. As MysticalDreams said, other users on the site are always willing to answer questions and/or point you to existing threads about the questions you might have. If you're just looking for a basic how to guide that addresses the ins and outs of the phone, the Motorola user's guide that was included in the box with the MAXX covers most of the basics. It can also be found online here - Droid RAZR MAXX User's Guide.

OP
D

DethDroid

Reaction score
Well for starters how do I stop notifications like from facebook? What I mean is when I turn on my phone I see the symbol on the left, then I have to open notifications and clear it...I want FB but I don't want all notifications all day like that...When I want to see what my friends are doing I will open the app! I can't seem to find any settings to change how I receive notifications...when I click on my settings icon, then notifications it takes me to the pull down only...what am I missing? Also is there anyway to remove junk apps that I don't use without rooting my phone?

Also when using the built in task manager I see apps that I have not opened using resources. I close them only to go back and find them listed again. I have moved several over to close when the display sleeps but I was wondering how you can stop them from turning on like that....thanks again :)

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Well for starters how do I stop notifications like from facebook? What I mean is when I turn on my phone I see the symbol on the left, then I have to open notifications and clear it...I want FB but I don't want all notifications all day like that...When I want to see what my friends are doing I will open the app! I can't seem to find any settings to change how I receive notifications...when I click on my settings icon, then notifications it takes me to the pull down only...what am I missing? Also is there anyway to remove junk apps that I don't use without rooting my phone?

To turn off Facebook notifications, open up the Facebook app, tap the menu button at the far left below the screen, select settings, and then uncheck the box next to Notifications. This will turn them off. Any app that sends notifications like that can almost always have them turned off from the settings menu within the app itself.

Some of the pre-installed apps (such as the games) can be removed in the normal way that you'd uninstall any app (Settings-> Applications -> Manage applications -> All -> and then scroll to the app, select it, and then tap Uninstall at the top right), but most of them cannot be removed without root. But even if you were to root, you would not want to remove any of them from your device. This will cause any future updates for your phone to fail. You'd want to freeze the apps by using something like Titanium Backup. But no, you can't do anything about most of the pre-installed apps without rooting.

SallyC

Reaction score
I can't help you with Facebook, but here's a few links to general info that should be helpful as you get started learning about your phone:
  1. Razr Maxx Manual in pdf form. If you want a printed copy, you can request one here.
  2. Android 2.3.4 user guide in pdf form. The most recent version I can find. A lot of the things you think are your "phone" are really it's OS (as in Dell laptop running Win7). This will help you understand much of the software and how to master it.
  3. Alternatively, the Complete Android Guide in html form.
  4. It's for the Droid Razr (non-Maxx) but since they're the same except for the battery, you might learn something from the Droid Razr Simulator.
And, of course, Droidforums.net where you can post any question at all....and often even get a good answer!;)

mattman5000

Reaction score
For facebook, go to settings from within the facebook app. It has its own settings, one of which is for notifications.

MysticalDreams

Reaction score
IL for now... waiting for the day we can move back
Current Phone Model
Note 8!!
Also when using the built in task manager I see apps that I have not opened using resources. I close them only to go back and find them listed again. I have moved several over to close when the display sleeps but I was wondering how you can stop them from turning on like that....thanks again :)

I am not one for Task Managers... in my opinion they use more battery than they save on the battery. They work overtime to kill the apps that you set it to kill which uses (for an example only) 10% of the battery where if you would just let the app run it would only use 1-2%. Also people would kill apps and then wonder why something wasn't working right.

As mentioned you can't remove the bloatware without rooting but you can hide the icon without rooting. Out of sight out of mind and most the dumb bloat doesn't eat too much battery.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I can't help you with Facebook, but here's a few links to general info that should be helpful as you get started learning about your phone:
  1. Razr Maxx Manual in pdf form. If you want a printed copy, you can request one here.
  2. Android 2.3.4 user guide in pdf form. The most recent version I can find. A lot of the things you think are your "phone" are really it's OS (as in Dell laptop running Win7). This will help you understand much of the software and how to master it.
  3. Alternatively, the Complete Android Guide in html form.
  4. It's for the Droid Razr (non-Maxx) but since they're the same except for the battery, you might learn something from the Droid Razr Simulator.
And, of course, Droidforums.net where you can post any question at all....and often even get a good answer!;)

You never let me down. Excellent post and taught me a couple new resources...the Complete Android Guide is really nice and convenient. The PDF of the manual is just too big to carry around on the phone and takes too long to get through. I'd rather have the printed version. As for the that Droid RAZR Simulator...the bomb!

SallyC

Reaction score
I can't help you with Facebook, but here's a few links to general info that should be helpful as you get started learning about your phone:<br />
1. http://www.motorola.com/staticfiles/Support/US-EN/Mobile%20Phones/DROID-RAZR-Maxx/Documents/Staticfiles/RAZR_Maxx_UG_68016532002A.pdf&quot;]Razr Maxx Manual in pdf form[/URL]. If you want a printed copy, you can https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/sandbox/manualrequest&quot;]request one here[/URL].<br />
2. http://static.googleusercontent.com/external_content/untrusted_dlcp/www.google.com/en/us/help/hc/pdfs/mobile/AndroidUsersGuide-2.3.4.pdf&quot;]Android 2.3.4 user guide in pdf form.[/URL] The most recent version I can find. A lot of the things you think are your &quot;phone&quot; are really it's OS (as in Dell laptop running Win7). This will help you understand much of the software and how to master it.<br />
3. Alternatively, the http://www.completeguides.net/01_The_Complete_Android_Guide&quot;]Complete Android Guide[/URL] in html form.<br />
4. It's for the Droid Razr (non-Maxx) but since they're the same except for the battery, you might learn something from the http://support.verizonwireless.com/simulator/Motorola/droid_razr/index.html&quot;]Droid Razr Simulator[/URL].<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
You never let me down. Excellent post and taught me a couple new resources...the Complete Android Guide is really nice and convenient. The PDF of the manual is just too big to carry around on the phone and takes too long to get through. I'd rather have the printed version. As for the that Droid RAZR Simulator...the bomb!

Thanks FoxKat! Well I'm fairly new to all this - the RAZR is my first Android - so I'm always hunting around for tips and tricks.

So much to learn which is one reason I love your posts! ;)

OP
D

DethDroid

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for all your input, suggestions and help. You would think I never had an Android phone before lol. @MysticalDreams you say you don't use task managers and I know not to download a third party one but what about the built in one? That is the one I am using. @SallyC thanks I will check out that guide you listed. Peace all :)