Lock home in memory

drpaul07

Reaction score
So first off, I'm loving CM 6. The only thing that bugs me a little are the redraws that occur here and there.

Locking home in memory through CM settings doesn't work that well. And checking the 'system persistent' option in the ADW settings does work, but when its checked, the screen stops rotating even when i slide it open to use the keyboard, which is kind of a problem when i try to reply to texts popups using handcent. I changed the VM heap size to 32M and redraws still happen.

Any suggestions?

OP
D

drpaul07

Reaction score
True lol. I always used Launcherpro before i went from stock rooted to CM. Just thought I'd give ADW a try. Its just weird how when ADW doesn't rotate at all when you keep the home in memory. I would lock launcherpro in memory and it still rotates.

superglen99

Reaction score
I have ADW and keep launcher in memory and it rotates. Did you accidently change the settings to keep it from rotating??

OP
D

drpaul07

Reaction score
i've messed with the settings a bunch. Same thing still occurs. I go to ADW settings->System Preferences->then i select 'System persistent'. When selected, the option right below it (Home Orientation) fades so i can't choose it anymore. And then, my homescreen is stuck in portrait mode even when sliding open the keyboard.

If i'm in an app or menu, my screen will rotate. Its just when i'm at the homescreen, it will not. Weird, and kinda bugs me, cuz i like ADW otherwise.

OP
D

drpaul07

Reaction score
I'm using power strip which i have to set as my default launcher which is probably why i still get redraws when checking 'lock home in memory' through CM settings (cuz all it will do is keep power strip in memory instead of ADW). So I have to check 'System Persistent' through ADW settings, but then this won't allow the home to rotate :(

Last edited:

Se7enLC

Reaction score
There are actually TWO settings to keep Home in memory:

Settings -> CyanogenMod settings -> Performance settings -> Lock home in memory

and

Settings -> ADWLauncher -> System Preferences -> System persistent

If you want to enable this, you only need to enable ONE of these options. If you pick the ADW option, it will DISABLE screen rotation. If you pick the CM option, however, I believe this will not disable it.

Be warned, though - forcing home to stay in memory works MUCH better if you don't allow screen rotation on the home screen.

OP
D

drpaul07

Reaction score
True. I've tried both CM settings and ADW settings, and you're right. The thing is the CM settings won't stop the redraws because all it is keeping in memory is Power Strip.

And I'd be fine using the ADW settings to lock home in memory, its just its weird when i get a text, and the popup comes up, and i slide open the keyboard to respond, but the popup box stays in portrait mode, so i have to read what i'm writing sideways. It does get rid of the redraws though. Just strange, cuz Launcherpro has an option to lock in memory but it still rotates when on the homescreen.

I could always get rid of Power Strip and then CM settings will hold ADW in memory but i like Power Strip. Or I could just switch back to Launcher Pro, but there are some things about ADW i like that aren't in Launcher Pro. Haha...oh the choices..

Anyway, I appreciate the help guys. Thanks.

OP
D

drpaul07

Reaction score
Awww i just figured out how to fix my issue. So after messing with a bunch of settings in CM settings and ADW settings, what I SHOULD HAVE been doing was looking at the Handcent settings. There is an 'auto rotate' option in there that i checked and now everything works like it should. Never had it checked before so i didn't think to look there.

Anyway, problem solved. Yay!! Sorry for all the ruckus!

zerosouls

Soulless Droid
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
gplus.to
I tried really hard to appreciate ADW launcher, it lasted a few weeks, now I'm gladly back to launcherpro again :D

SWSovereign

Reaction score
I'm using power strip which i have to set as my default launcher which is probably why i still get redraws when checking 'lock home in memory' through CM settings (cuz all it will do is keep power strip in memory instead of ADW). So I have to check 'System Persistent' through ADW settings, but then this won't allow the home to rotate :(
drpaul07-

I'm using LauncherPro with PowerStrip. I use to have the same redraw problems with PowerStrip as the default home. Now I have LauncherPro set as the default home and used CyanogenMod Settings . . . Input Settings . . . Long-press home settings . . . Select custom application to make the long press launch PowerStrip instead of recent apps. Now LauncherPro stays in memory and I don't have any screen redraw issues. If I want to access recent apps, I can use that functionality within PowerStrip.

I bet the same setup would work for you with ADW.

-Scott

Reaction score
I tried the local.prop hack on my droid stock running LauncherPro. Seems to have solved my redraw problems. Been running this about 24 hours with no redraw. Usually if I ran the camera or had a heavy browser use I was certian to have a long redraw. So far so good.

Smeech

Reaction score

Agreed. And to be specific:

Credit to samsonite801
If you use ADW or LauncherPro and if after using your browser, email or any other apps for awhile, then if you press the 'HOME' button, if it takes forever to redraw your home screen, and you are sick of that HORRIBLE LAG, then try this: In a terminal, type su and enter. Then type echo ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1 >> /data/local.prop and enter. Then reboot. Now evaluate whether or not this fixes your lag. If you want to undo what this command does, simply remove that toggle from: /data/local.prop

IS AWESOME!

Works like an absolute charm! I've used it on LiMod and CM6.