Location Is Way Off ???

naknak95

Reaction score
I tried Google Maps on Motorola Droid 1, Droid X, Droid 2, and HTC Thunderbolt. All of them show me miles away from where I really am. It worked fine until the Thunderbolt was released. Has anyone found a fix to this? (Besides Resetting to Factory Default). Thanks. :)

Droid Firefighter

Reaction score
Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
Current Phone Model
S8
Where you inside or outside? Did you have network location and HOA enabled? Where you out in the open or next to a building? All those are factors in the location quality. A high dollar HOA unit will give bad readings if it doesn't have good signal from 3 satellites. I have the same issues with maps sometimes but a soon as I go into the open it gets down to as close as 3-5 feet. The most accurate app for location I've seen is navigation. So accurate it knows which way you ate facing.

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums

OP
naknak95

naknak95

Reaction score
Where you inside or outside? Did you have network location and HOA enabled? Where you out in the open or next to a building? All those are factors in the location quality. A high dollar HOA unit will give bad readings if it doesn't have good signal from 3 satellites. I have the same issues with maps sometimes but a soon as I go into the open it gets down to as close as 3-5 feet. The most accurate app for location I've seen is navigation. So accurate it knows which way you ate facing.

I was outside the entire time, even went on highways with perfect 3G/4G service, network location was on (all settings), I will try that app you are talking about.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you're not getting GPS accuracy (~3m) then you're not using the GPS receiver. It's probably unable to obtain a fix so it's falling back on less accurate methods of determining your location (tower triangulation, WiFi, etc). Download GPS Status and use it to clear your aGPS data/state and try again.

The most accurate app for location I've seen is navigation.
Accuracy is determined by the GPS receiver, not the app. The receiver determines your location. All it does is provide latitude, longitude, altitude and time. The app does everything else. If the receiver isn't getting a fix then using another app won't help. All GPS enabled apps use the very same GPS receiver on your device.

So accurate it knows which way you ate facing.
It knows your facing from your direction of travel or via the compass (if supported by the app).

I was outside the entire time, even went on highways with perfect 3G/4G service, network location was on (all settings), I will try that app you are talking about.
Coverage doesn't matter for the GPS receiver. All it needs is signal from the GPS satellites.

Last edited:

Droid Firefighter

Reaction score
Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
Current Phone Model
S8
When I was refering to the accuracy of the navigation app its because when I turn it on, it immediately shows my almost exact location. I've opened maps and its had me 3 miles away. Close it and open navigation and it had me exact. There is obviously something in the app that reads that data and correlates it to position better than the Google maps does.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
It takes a while to get a GPS fix. Maps will use less accurate methods if available and those methods are typically immediately available. Nav doesn't work well without GPS but even it sometimes has to wait for a GPS fix. I've certainly opened up nav when my GPS receiver couldn't get a fix and it couldn't accurately locate me. It's not anything inherent to the app itself.

OP
naknak95

naknak95

Reaction score
It takes a while to get a GPS fix. Maps will use less accurate methods if available and those methods are typically immediately available. Nav doesn't work well without GPS but even it sometimes has to wait for a GPS fix. I've certainly opened up nav when my GPS receiver couldn't get a fix and it couldn't accurately locate me. It's not anything inherent to the app itself.

I tried the MapQuest app and it is showing my location almost exactly to me (on the same street but not the same house). Google said there is a glitch on the ThunderBolt with Maps and Navigation. I hope it gets fixed soon.

comk4ver

Reaction score
do you have the gps and wifi setting on? You could try to force goggle maps to locate you then start from there... There should be like starting here... But if you're referring to latitude... Different ball game...
Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums