Library E-books

mgbklyn

Reaction score
I recently bought a Droid Incredible. I like to borrow ebooks from the New York Public Library (nypl) and thought I could easily transfer these to my new Droid. I've been doing a good deal of googling and trial and error without any success. Does anyone know how to do this? It seems that they are DRM protected, which is part of the problem. Thank you!

Redwinger2001

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat. Would love an answer to this question.i have a droid X. Posted this on the droid x forum as well. Will post any helpful answers here.

OP
M

mgbklyn

Reaction score
Solution of Sorts

Hi,
After doing a lot of searching, I found something that works. You can open DRM protected content (which is what my library has) with the iReader app for Android. You install the MobiPocket app on your desktop or laptop computer, get the PID from it, and then enter the PID at the library website when it asks you for it. The iReader app has a place for you to enter the PID, too, so you enter the same code in it. Download your books to MobiReader on your computer, then copy the ebook files from your library over to your Android device, by using your Droid as a disk drive and copying the books into the ebooks folder.

Check out the iReader website for more detail.

I hope that helps! It's not as attractive a presentation as Kindle or Aldiko, but it does the trick.

Redwinger2001

Reaction score
Thanks for your help. Ive downloaded the ireader and mobipocket. I have the PID and have entered it at mobi.com. My library website never asked me for the PID and when I tried to open a book with mobi reader it said it was a format that wasn't supported. I also don't see anywhere to put the PID on the ireader. Any thoughs? I'm almost ready to give up!!

OP
M

mgbklyn

Reaction score
I am not sure where to go from there. Perhaps verify with a librarian that they are using mobipocket as the format. I needed to enter the PID to the library website initially, but I've not had to do it since. Good luck!

csi

Reaction score
could it have something to do with the fact that Online Public Libraries are only set up to work with the Sony Reader?