LG to unveil it's Medfield powered handset at CES

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
medfieldchip.jpeg

According to an unnamed “top-ranking executive” at LG they will be introducing an Android smartphone at CES powered by Intel’s Medfield chipset. Further details revel that the device may be on shelves as early as March.

Intel’s Korean chief Lee Hee-sung confirmed the CES announcement and indicated that Intel CEO Paul Otellini would personally introduce the device. It's not surprising that Intel and LG would want this info to "leak" at this stage of the game. Intel has high hopes for this chip and have invested a lot in making it competitive in the mobile market.

Tegra's , OMAP's, Exynos, Snapdragon's and now the Medfield. Another combatant has entered the battlefield. The processor wars are in full swing......

Source: Korea Times

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
I like OMAPs.

DamirD1984

Reaction score
Intel is a pretty big name. I don't think the Tegra line will last much longer.

Tegra is here to stay from the looks of it... they pretty much dominate the tablet market, and their GPU performance is nothing to be laughed at... take outdated benchmarks like quadrant out of the equation, tegra2 powered devices provide solid performance for today and the upcoming year as well, even though its an aging SoC.

What I am worried about is, the sheer amount of different GPU's that are entering the market. Is intel going to feature their own version the GPU like Samsung did with their Mali GPU in the Exynos line? If so, there is going to be some support issues regarding some games like the Mali GPU is experiencing today, even after a 6 month release :-(

nickb34

Reaction score
In the beginning, I'm pretty sure Intel will use off the shelf GPU's... Then some time down the road they may try to put it all on one chip. Medfield is supposed to be competitive at this point, but when the next generation stuff comes out is when we may see them be a big player.