LG G5 Slide-Out Battery Cartridge Image Leaked

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
lg-g5-battery-module-leak.jpg

The LG G5 is about to be seen in the light of day at Mobile World Congress on Sunday. We will be covering the event that morning, so be sure to join in. Of course, as is typical, tons of leaks keep hitting the web right up until the final reveal.

One of the rumored "features" of the LG G5 is called the “Magic Slot” (no raunchy comments from the peanut gallery, please). We touched on this feature in previous rumors, but the latest leaked image seems to have confirmed it. The pic above is supposedly the slide-in battery cartridge for the LG G5.

We can assume from this image that LG plans to offer additional Magic Slot accessories in the future, including obviously additional batteries. What do you folks think? Does LG's Magic Slot concept get you excited?

Here's our dedicated LG G5 section for additional discussion: LG G5

Source: Phandroid

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Depends on the size of the battery. 3k mah is barely enough to last 1/2 a day. Needs to be 5k mah+ or newer tech that doesn't drain as fast.

RyanPm40

Reaction score
This is awesome, definitely makes me want to stick with LG. I love being able to swap out my battery for an immediate 100% charge.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, very interesting. If they made it hot swappable (the phone doesn't power down to change it) then they have themselves a winner here.

Amagine

Reaction score
Depends on the size of the battery. 3k mah is barely enough to last 1/2 a day. Needs to be 5k mah+ or newer tech that doesn't drain as fast.
5000 mah? What are you doing streaming with full brightness all day? I rarely have an issue with my 2550 mah device making it all day. Then again I usaully put it into an extended battery case or plug up when I know I am going to be ultra heavy on it.

Amagine

Reaction score
Hmmm, very interesting. If they made it hot swappable (the phone doesn't power down to change it) then they have themselves a winner here.
That will likely mean that it has to have a secondary battery onboard. I don't see it. That being said. The design does lend itself interesting for extended battery applications.

Vepaot

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G5 (LS992)
I'm wondering if the bottom part is also part of the battery? That would sure be handy if you could charge any G5 battery with a current micro USB cord.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
That will likely mean that it has to have a secondary battery onboard. I don't see it. That being said. The design does lend itself interesting for extended battery applications.
The ancient Moto Microtac had that feature built in. You had 30 seconds to hot switch without the phone cutting off, even during a phone call , and phones were MUCH less efficient back then.
This concept reminds me of the old Verizon LG Versa though LG (or maybe Verizon) abandoned it before ever offering more than a detachable qwerty keyboard due to lack of sales. Perhaps the market is ready for this now?

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
5000 mah? What are you doing streaming with full brightness all day? I rarely have an issue with my 2550 mah device making it all day. Then again I usaully put it into an extended battery case or plug up when I know I am going to be ultra heavy on it.
I work in a hospital where signal constantly switches between 3g and 4g. That alone drains my 3200mah battery 6% every hour. That's without me even turning the screen on. Often times my phone with exceptional battery life compared to samsung and lg phones, is dead by 3pm.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I need at least a 5000. I can kill a 3200 in 10 hours. My phone has never gone more then a full day. Not. Once.

I've been up about an hour. 30 minutes checking news. 50% brightness.
3780mah

1132abfa1bd4871389188572dda61147.jpg

Last edited:

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I work in a hospital where signal constantly switches between 3g and 4g. That alone drains my 3200mah battery 6% every hour. That's without me even turning the screen on. Often times my phone with exceptional battery life compared to samsung and lg phones, is dead by 3pm.
You ever try data radio toggles? Lollipop breaks the ability to use aftermarket ones (thanks a ton Google) but the stock ones can still turn the radio off when not using your phone. It's the only way any of my phones lasted all day back when I was on Verizon and had your same problem with very weak signal.
I think I could make it with that smaller battery now that I have great reception with my carrier but no way could I have done so if I were still on Verizon. I live in 0barville, aka -120+dbm city, with its craptacular Verizon reception.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><