LG G5 Confirmed to Have 'always on display'

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
lg-g5-always-on-display-screen-cap.jpg

Just yesterday we heard a rumor that the Samsung Galaxy S7 would have an "always on display" likely designed to facilitate active notifications and gesture based controls. This would be similar to what we have seen Motorola and a few other manufacturers do in the past. In fact, LG recently did this with the LG V10. It looks like they are revisiting the idea with their latest flagship the G5.

According to a press pic directly from LG, their new LG G5 will be coming with an "Always On Display" feature set. Along with the animated gif (which you can see in the thread below), LG also shared the following press statements:

“Never go asleep while others do,” and “LG G5, Always ON,”

We aren't yet sure what LG plans to do with the feature, but we are intrigued to find out later this month when they official unveil it before Mobile World Congress.

Here's our dedicated LG G5 section for further discussion: LG G5

Source: Facebook - LG

Last edited:

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Looks very similar to Moto Active Display. Now that I am used to Active Display I can't stand blinking LED light notifications. Good job LG!

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yup, Moto Active Display had me hooked. So glad that Lollipop had something similar, or I would still be stuck on my Moto X 1st Gen.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Yup, Moto Active Display had me hooked. So glad that Lollipop had something similar, or I would still be stuck on my Moto X 1st Gen.
Lollipop or Marshmallow? Ambient display is MM isn't as good as Moto's Active Display.

Hope just the screen is active and it allows Doze. If not that battery life will suck.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Lollipop or Marshmallow? Ambient display is MM isn't as good as Moto's Active Display.
You're right, not as good, but better than nothing. I tried others, like Dynamic Notifications and A Display, but it sucked compared to Moto Active Display. Might as well just stick with the Android default :)