LG Friends without benefits

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
hero-banner-1600x800_G5-Friends_v2.jpg

One of the major concerns about buying a modular device like the G5 was the concern that the manufacturer may ditch the idea and the customer would be stuck with a bunch of worthless friends (referring to the LG modules). Here we are a year later and LG may be looking to ditch their friends and looking to ditch module phones altogether.

So now may be a good time to kick your friends (modules) to the curve and try and grab a few bucks before they become completely worthless.

Are you surprised LG dropped module devices this soon?

Source: Report: LG will get rid of its Friends modules for the G6

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I'm not surprised at all ...I didn't see the G5 as a good selling phone and they didn't implement the mods very well ...Motorola is the only one they seems to have a solid option with modules and even then it remains to be seen if it will be a success ...

iPhone Seven Plus

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
*sigh* I've never been an LG fan...

Sent from my Sexy IPhone 7+

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
Trying too hard has never worked for hardware IMO, stick to basics and fit and finish, no different than what Google has done with the Pixel on day 1 and look how popular that is already.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Trying too hard has never worked for hardware IMO, stick to basics and fit and finish, no different than what Google has done with the Pixel on day 1 and look how popular that is already.

Yup I think LG realized that and decided let's stick to the basics with G6 ....plenty of great reports about the LG V20 so if they do it right headed to good direction

iPhone Seven Plus

RyanPm40

Reaction score
So bummed out about how much money I wasted on this thing not even half a year ago.

I've noticed that Verizon will give you $300 trade-in for phones like the Pixel or V20, and my old G4 sitting in a box is eligible, but the newer G5 isn't. Insane. The G4 wasnt even really a success either- that thing was riddled with problems. All of those missed touches drove me up the freakin wall.

boidsonly

Reaction score
It's a good thing all the "friends" were gratis. So much for being an early adopter. lol
While I don't have buyers' remorse with the G5, I probably would pass on it if again given the opportunity. It just looks and feels mid-range for the price. My speaker blew out and I had the unit replaced under warranty. I give LG a 5 star rating for warranty coverage.
I may give the V20 a chance after it comes out and I can play with it in hand.