LG Demos the G2's OIS and Low-Light Camera with Video in the Stratosphere

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;cn6Jhta861g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=cn6Jhta861g[/video]​

Wow the folks with gorgeous visuals from on high... that seems to be the theme of LG's newest video teaser for their LG G2 flagship smartphone. LG literally went to the trouble of sending a G2 to the edge of space (the Stratosphere to be specific), in order to show off the OIS (Optical Image Stabilization) and low-light capabilities of its new 13MP camera. The strapped the thing to a balloon. It was a difficult undertaking, with 45 days of preparation. This effort yielded 58 hours of video from within the troposphere and stratosphere. This was about 18 miles above the Earth's surface and the temperature drops to -50 degrees C.

The OIS capabilities really shine in this demonstration. Despite the rough conditions in which the balloon travelled, the video remained relatively smooth. It will be exciting to see how well the camera performs in more mundane surroundings!

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
The really amazing thing about that article - 58 hours of video on 1 charge! :)

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
The really amazing thing about that article - 58 hours of video on 1 charge! :)

LOL, yeah. I'm glad it didn't record 58 hours of static when it went through that supposed "wormhole".

But seriously, I am really impressed. This is a technology that the S5 was rumored to have, and the G2 has it NOW.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
LOL, yeah. I'm glad it didn't record 58 hours of static when it went through that supposed "wormhole".

But seriously, I am really impressed. This is a technology that the S5 was rumored to have, and the G2 has it NOW.

HAHAHA, I'm not the only person who thought of the movie Contact! =D

bigdad63

Reaction score
I'm pretty impressed by that demonstration. If I didn't hate on screen buttons so much, the non rear speaker placement, screen and hardware would have made it a potential player on my list of next phone.