LG Ally

AngusW

Reaction score
hello all, I just bought an LG Ally as a Christmas gift. I was wondering if anyone has any first hand experience with it and can tell me what the battery life is like.

vzwtek

Reaction score
You will get what you pay for.

The battery life isnt the best, but with what android phone will it be good. (Not due to lack of hardware, once you touch it you cant put it down, lol.)

It's a good kid or wifes phone. Just make sure to read some of the posts on other dev forums to get tips on maximizing battery life, dont think you will get much snuggle friendlies here, lol.

i dont think its horrible, if it got 2.2, (now its a maybe) it may not be that bad like the vortex.

Overall for the cash its not terrible, its at least android 2.1!!!

OP
A

AngusW

Reaction score
Thanks. I bought it for my mother, she likes my Droid 2 (most of it). Saw that all the stuff she likes is available on the Ally and got that one. So probably buying the extended battery might be a good idea.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
2.1 only. The Ally has been out for several months and is reaching the end of its shelf life. Of course, a ghost update COULD happen as with the Eris but I wouldn't hold my breath on the Ally ever seeing 2.2.
The best thing about it is its physical keyboard is one of the best I've seen. However, it will by no means hold a candle to the D2 or most of the other Android lineup. The smaller screen, way slower processor, and reception are its biggest weakness. Still, for an entry level Android device, its a decent phone.

The battery life isnt the best, but with what android phone will it be good. (Not due to lack of hardware, once you touch it you cant put it down, lol.)

It's a good kid or wifes phone. Just make sure to read some of the posts on other dev forums to get tips on maximizing battery life, dont think you will get much snuggle friendlies here, lol.

i dont think its horrible, if it got 2.2, (now its a maybe) it may not be that bad like the vortex.

DroidForums junkie!!

vzwtek

Reaction score
2.1 only. The Ally has been out for several months and is reaching the end of its shelf life. Of course, a ghost update COULD happen as with the Eris but I wouldn't hold my breath on the Ally ever seeing 2.2.
The best thing about it is its physical keyboard is one of the best I've seen. However, it will by no means hold a candle to the D2 or most of the other Android lineup. The smaller screen, way slower processor, and reception are its biggest weakness. Still, for an entry level Android device, its a decent phone.

DroidForums junkie!!

There are 2 test builds currently available to Verizon with the lg ally having 2.2, all I have to say is just look at the Vortex. Its going to be like that, (still not anything like the flagship stuff, but its nice to have a few low ends with 2l.2) The major reason why they are so hot to trot about it is due to a number of issues with memory management on the device, call audio issues, bluetooth issues, still resets and has random screen scrolling. All known issues through product issue forms put out by LG. (No you wont be able to google it.) 2.2 is the "answer" from their mouths. Its just a pretty big change to shoehorn on a device like that without making it worse.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I see...interesting. I have a Vortex as my BEST Device and I gotta say that its a pretty solid device! I was expecting MUCH less from it! Swype was even a shocker! Haha!

DroidForums junkie!!

vzwtek

Reaction score
I see...interesting. I have a Vortex as my BEST Device and I gotta say that its a pretty solid device! I was expecting MUCH less from it! Swype was even a shocker! Haha!

DroidForums junkie!!

It isn't actually that bad, some issues with vcast videos, wifi flakes sometimes. (was a test device, could have been hardware)

Its actually a really good phone for someone who will die without 2.2, and doesnt want to spend the cash for other droid devices. Lol.

HarvesterX™

Reaction score
My girlfriend surprised me this summer by finally trading in her LG EnV for an Ally after she started becoming jealous of my Droid. It's not a bad phone...

The Ally is missing 3D hardware acceleration due to the fact that there is no dedicated GPU. Ok, Mom may not care if she doesn't play games but some other market apps rely on this (such as Google Earth) and won't be accessible.

The hardware keyboard is very nice...but the virtual keyboard makes me want to throw the phone at the wall. The sdcard that ships with it is also rather paltry so an upgrade there wouldn't be a bad decision.

If future Android updates is a selling point, then just return the phone now. I'm willing to bet that it will never see anything other than 2.1. This may not be a bad thing though considering that newer builds are also more CPU intensive and may slow the phone down even more...

The camera is what I would expect. Nothing special, nothing horrible either. That's the theme here. I'm willing to bet your mom will enjoy it. My girlfriend bought the Ally even after I explained some of the cons, and she hasn't complained once. Once in a while when I'm getting pissy over my phone acting up (due to my own tinkering), I find myself feeling envious of her phone. Well envous until I start trying to type on it or play games lol (she doesn't want to install any other keyboards..for the love of God I don't know why)

vzwtek

Reaction score
My girlfriend surprised me this summer by finally trading in her LG EnV for an Ally after she started becoming jealous of my Droid. It's not a bad phone...

The Ally is missing 3D hardware acceleration due to the fact that there is no dedicated GPU. Ok, Mom may not care if she doesn't play games but some other market apps rely on this (such as Google Earth) and won't be accessible.

The hardware keyboard is very nice...but the virtual keyboard makes me want to throw the phone at the wall. The sdcard that ships with it is also rather paltry so an upgrade there wouldn't be a bad decision.

If future Android updates is a selling point, then just return the phone now. I'm willing to bet that it will never see anything other than 2.1. This may not be a bad thing though considering that newer builds are also more CPU intensive and may slow the phone down even more...

The camera is what I would expect. Nothing special, nothing horrible either. That's the theme here. I'm willing to bet your mom will enjoy it. My girlfriend bought the Ally even after I explained some of the cons, and she hasn't complained once. Once in a while when I'm getting pissy over my phone acting up (due to my own tinkering), I find myself feeling envious of her phone. Well envous until I start trying to type on it or play games lol (she doesn't want to install any other keyboards..for the love of God I don't know why)

How much are you going to put down on that wager?

Beka27

Reaction score
It's a good kid or wifes phone.

:icon_eek:

Oh please. Some "wifes" are more technologically savvy than their respective "husbands". I'm guessing you didn't mean to knock down ALL women?

(BTW, I'm just messing with you... lol. No hard feelings... :icon_ banana: )

Bilgediver

Reaction score
Lg ally is getting froyo within a month.

However the comment earlier wasn't a slander against women in general, its just frequently seen on here that the "dude" had a droid or droidx or droid 2, and the chick has the ally or the droid incredible.

When I had the og droid, my gf got an lg ally within two weeks.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

vzwtek

Reaction score
I LOVE ALL TECHY WOMENS!!!

My old battle ax has a droid X, and then her mother in law complained so I got her a DX. Then my kid constantly takes both of our phones and he is 2 and a half, so I got him a galaxy tab, lol. Interesting chain of events.