best battery life

miltk

Reaction score
my wife doesn't need anything fancy...so any help regarding the best battery life amongst the droid phones at verizon would be greatly appreciated. i was looking at the lg ally, as it seems to be the most basic, other than the original droid. i would also prefer input from users who have experience with smart phones :)

thx all.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
how is she with the learning curve of technology today?

as much as I hate to say it, if she isn't into technology i think the iPhone would be the best option for her.

However, if you do opt to get her an android device, I would look into the Incredible 2. Has a great and userfriendly UI and from what I heard has a significantly better battery life than my original Droid. IF you're going to opt for a 4g device, I would give the Bionic a good look, but remember the battery life of 4g devices are terrible compared to 3g only devices.

OP
M

miltk

Reaction score
how is she with the learning curve of technology today?

as much as I hate to say it, if she isn't into technology i think the iPhone would be the best option for her.

However, if you do opt to get her an android device, I would look into the Incredible 2. Has a great and userfriendly UI and from what I heard has a significantly better battery life than my original Droid. IF you're going to opt for a 4g device, I would give the Bionic a good look, but remember the battery life of 4g devices are terrible compared to 3g only devices.

she can deal with it. she used to be a programer, so she can figure things out,,,but when it comes to everyday things she's sometimes clumsy.

so the iphone has a good battery life?? i'm not an i-anything but then this is not for me. i'll looks at the 2 also. i have the original droid and i think it has a better battery than what people are complaining about with their newer phones.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
she can deal with it. she used to be a programer, so she can figure things out,,,but when it comes to everyday things she's sometimes clumsy.

so the iphone has a good battery life?? i'm not an i-anything but then this is not for me. i'll looks at the 2 also. i have the original droid and i think it has a better battery than what people are complaining about with their newer phones.

to be honest i still think the original droid had the best battery life out of all the current phones, but one could argue due to the lack of power in that phone it makes sense. Android phones are great, but one thing that needs to be worked on is battery life. All my friends have Android devices, something I like to think I started:p, and between all our devices it's hard to rate which has the best battery life. I'm definitely at the bottom with my Inc, but between the X, X2, D2, D3, and a few other devices it's hard to say which one gets the best battery life.

If your wife used to be a programmer I think she'll enjoy Android more. The OS gives her some options to customize to her liking instead of having the same looking screen as every other users like iOS does. There are many widgets and ROMs to customize your device with and when you get bored of the same old thing you can switch it up. Each OS has it's strengths and weaknesses, but so far everything a few of my iPhone friends can do, my device can do and sometimes even better.:p

as much as I hate Apple, their iPhone is a quality product. Good build, easy to use OS, and arguably the best battery life for a smartphone on the market. However, as great a battery life as it has, down the road you won't be able to put a new battery in yourself, huge downside for me at least. As for Android phones, you can always have a backup ready like I do.

googlelover

Reaction score
^^ Think its kind of impossible to rate who has the best battery life on their phone because there are so many factors, even if you compare the battery life advertised by Verizon and Motorola they would be different from real world use unless your going to leave your phone stock, and there are ways to make a phone battery last longer.

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
I'd give her the OG, and then get the Bionic for yourself :p. I've had the OG foe 2 years. Great on the bat. I have had the Bionic for just a few days, but it's been great so far. My daughter has the LG Ally. She loves it. Great phone if you gotta have a key board and don't want to spend much money. The bats runs all day for her, and I don't think she goes more than a minute with out texting or posting on FB all day.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
^^ Think its kind of impossible to rate who has the best battery life on their phone because there are so many factors, even if you compare the battery life advertised by Verizon and Motorola they would be different from real world use unless your going to leave your phone stock, and there are ways to make a phone battery last longer.

indeed there is no sure fire way to accurately rate a battery's charge and my example isn't the best, but the topic of this thread is subjective. There are ways to extend one's charge, which is what I believe the TP is trying to find out, but they wanted to know which had the best charge without any use of apps such as Tasker or Screebl.

Out of my friends I could say I use my phone the most outside of actually using it to talk. I text alot, browse alot, and tend to watch more youtube clips or videos than most, and in comparison my OG Droid had the most stamina compared to any other device I've used or compared to, and I overclocked it to 800mhz. My Inc battery is horrible compared to the OG Droid that was overclocked and compared to the other devices among my group. So from the real world use of these phones from what I've seen, the OG Droid still trumps them. Of course there are many other factors that relate to battery life, but coming from what I would call myself as a heavy user, no phone since the OG Droid has had as good a battery life.

As for rating a phone's battery charge for yourself, take whatever number Verizon/maker is giving and try to find the average of the estimates. Outside of real world applications of the phone that's the best way to rate how much use you'll get out of your phone before it dies, depending on use as well.

My best advice is no matter what phone the TS or anyone is looking for, look up ways to extend the charge a little longer. Turn off anything automatic such as brightness, facebook updates, weather updates, etc. All you gotta do is click one more button to get the latest update on whatever app and it won't take long, plus you save alot of your charge by doing things manually. Look into apps such as Screebl or Tasker that also help with battery life.