Lesser of Two Evils? While Apple Assaults Android in Court Microsoft Profits $500M

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
microsoft-chrome-front-office-logo.png

It's easy to get caught up bashing Apple for their deplorable legal assaults on Android, but it's also easy to forget that they aren't the only ones making things difficult for the little green robot. Microsoft keeps forcing licensing deals down the throats of practically every Android maker on the planet. According to a new press statement, Microsoft has reached licensing agreements with two more Android tablet OEMs, Colby and Aluratek. This adds to a growing list of companies that Microsoft now profits from for every Android device made, including some of the big ones, like HTC, Samsung, LG, Viewsonic, Acer, and more. Microsoft now makes massive profits from these licensing deals. Here is a quote with some final details,

Horacio Gutierrez, corporate vice president and deputy general counsel of the Intellectual Property Group at Microsoft had this to say about the new licensing deals:

"We are pleased to have reached this agreement with Aluratek [and Colby]. We are proud of the continued success of our licensing program in resolving IP issues surrounding Android and Chrome."

It looks like Microsoft will continue to be making money off the success of Android. According to Goldman Sachs, Microsoft is set to earn close to $500 million from Android-related patent licensing deals during 2012.

That's pretty clever. Buy up some patents and license them to your competitor, so that you profit regardless of the level of success of your own products. Then, you can just sit there and rake in half a Billion dollars for doing nothing. It looks like Microsoft is probably the lesser of two evils, and perhaps craftier as well. At least this type of behavior doesn't stifle innovation nearly as much as Apple's solution. What do you think?

Source: DroidMatters

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
At least Microsoft is offering licensing deals. It seems like Apple is saying "Hey this is our idea, you cannot use it at all or we will sue you, and get your product taken off the market". Seems like a huge difference to me.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I agree that while this is crafty, its not bad for innovation. Let's face it, this was just smart business by Microsoft...

heck, I would've done the same thing in that situation...:shrugs:

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
It sounds like MS had patents that were obvious and all the Android companies saw this and had no issue with license deals. MS Also sounds like they gave reasonable terms so a license deal was easily done.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Cant say anymore than what was already said by others. Smart on the part of MS, especially given the hit their tablet has taken, and good for innovation. Atleast ms allowing ideas to continue where as apple is looking to stifle innovation.

jayman350

Reaction score
can't fault microsoft for this at all. like others have said, at least they aren't just trying to get rid of the competition, they are allowing android to flourish and are taking their cut. if apple had approached things this way I doubt very much that there would be such hatred towards them.

money is money, i don't care who gets a cut of what after i purchase my new toy...but if you tell me that I can't buy that new toy i've been eyeing for a while b/c it looks similar to apple's toy, then I'm going to start getting pissed. :icon_ devil:

Josefius

Reaction score
I agree with the above posts, I used to hate Microsoft more than Apple back in the day. These days Apple is far far worse than Microsoft ever was. Also, Gates is doing a lot for the under privileged. Microsoft isn't acting like a spoiled hipster.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
smart business . IMO

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Apple rather spend it on lawyers than take care of their employees. Steve Jobs was an ass and treated people like ****, it was no secret, of course after he died he became a saint and all was forgiven "cough cough".

Sal R.

Reaction score
I wouldn't necessarily call it an "evil" per se. At least MS offers up reasonable license deals, doesn't stiffle innovation, and clogs up the court system with garbage like "their product looks like my product! Lets sue!" -type lawsuits.

Hell, I'd do the same thing if I were in their shoes.