Lenovo ThinkPad On Sale Now Starting AT $499; Shipping August 29th

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Aug 23, 2011.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,230
    [​IMG]

You can now pre-purchase the Lenovo ThinkPad Android Tablet directly on Lenovo's website. It has an estimated ship date of August 29th, and has several models and prices to choose from. There is a 16GB model for $499, as well as a 32GB for $569, and a 64GB for $669. They both come with WiFi and 3G support. Here is a refresher on their other specs:
    • Honeycomb
    • 1 GHz Tegra 2 processor
    • 1 GB RAM
    • Front and rear cameras
    • HDMI-out
    • 3-in-1 SD card reader
    • Gorilla Glass
    • Business-friendly security enhancements
    To get more info and to purchase one hit the Lenovo source link below. This seems like a pretty impressive version of the Android Tablet for business users. What do you guys think?

Source: AndroidTablets.net via AndroidCentral and Lenovo

2. xsylus

xsylus Active Member

Ratings:
    +39
    Current Phone Model:
    Sony Xperia Z3
    I love my Lenovo Thinkpad laptop; ThinkPads are typically known for their build quality, however, I think Lenovo's current price point on their new Android tablets is a bit high.

I'd love to get one of these but it's not within the constraints of my budget right now :(

3. johnomaz

johnomaz Silver Member

Ratings:
    +425
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6
    If it had the ability to talk to an LCD projector wirelessly (via an included VGA dongle or something) and have features for a pen similar to a Promethian board or Mobi tablet, the price point is pretty damn good. But as a usual Android Tablet, there are more than a few out there that are lower in price and very good tablets.

4. johnomaz

johnomaz Silver Member

Ratings:
    +425
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6
    In the video here LenovoVision's Channel - YouTube It does show it connected to a TV via the mini HDMI port, but a projector is easily the device you woudl find more in classrooms or conference rooms, not a TV.

5. xsylus

xsylus Active Member

Ratings:
    +39
    Current Phone Model:
    Sony Xperia Z3
    I'm surprised it doesn't have the trademark soft-rubber coating that most ThinkPad laptops seem to have. I'm not sure why, but the soft-rubber coating, to me, makes the device feel higher quality.

6. Immolate

Immolate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Too expensive. Are there a bunch of potential $500 tablet buyers sitting on the sidelines that somehow didn't go all-in when the Samsung Galaxy 10.1 released, or didn't long ago buy an iPad? I think Lenova is pouring water on saturated ground. Pay attention to Amazon and learn where the real under-served tabled market is.

7. BlacknTan

BlacknTan Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree that for the specs and the OS, it is too much to pay for a tablet whose sole purpose is media consumption and surfing the net. But that's not what this tablet is about. This tablet is marketed for business, and as a small business owner, I'm more than happy to pay $500+ for a tablet that has an active digitizer stylus with handwriting recognition.

In fact right now i'm typing on an $1100 Asus ep121 windows tablet. I'm not particularly fond of windows, but it was the only machine available, at the time, that did what I needed it to do. I'm in the medical field and I needed a tablet that would let me take handwritten notes and convert them into text for my electronic medical records.

There are a number of business applications for a stylus, and from what I've seen and read of Lenovo's implementation, this is going to be the first real Android tablet to offer a decent stylus. I've already pre-ordered one for my wife to use at her work.

Lots of businesses own convertible tablet-PC's, and most of those cost $1200+. I think if this tablet can duplicate most of the functionality of tablet-PC's, and for half the price, it's going to sell very well to an underserved market.

But I don't think it's going to be limited just to business either. I wish I had my Asus tablet when I was in college for taking notes. it would have saved me having to carry around a bunch of different notebooks, at least, and made studying a lot easier.

8. Immolate

Immolate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I can see the business utility, although I expect the attraction is more for small business than larger field forces. Those folks use more rugged, typically specialized pads.

I think as a student attending classroom courses (they still have those right?), I'd be more fired up about one of those new Asus sliders.