Lack of screenshot support

Mr.Hoff

Reaction score
I've spent lots of time looking for a screenshot app for the DX and came to the conclusion that you pretty much need to root your phone to do so. Is there a good reason behind this from Verizon's/android's viewpoint? Security, or...? It seems like such a basic thing to implement. They only valid argument I can come up with is to do with security. Since such functionality would be a global feature, a malicious app could potentially take screenshots without the user's knowledge and steal personal information. Although I can think of many ways to prevent such a thing, such as a global API that would make a popup an announcement saying that the screen has been captured.

Anyone else a bit frustrated that this isn't a default feature?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

the5barrons

Reaction score
Rooting is so easy, as is unrooting...so not an issue. But for those that really don't want any hassles, I suppose its an inconvenience but for some reason vzw/motorola believe screen shots are a bad thing. Root and be happy with the added apps or don't. Maybe someday they'll have a phone with that as a stock app.

Swyped while being lazy in the DXForumApp

OP
M

Mr.Hoff

Reaction score
Well I'm very wary of rooting my DX. It is my first smartphone and I absolutely love it. I've never been able to make it to the 2 year contract agreement milestone on my past 2 phones (blown out speakers, hinges going broke, etc ) so I'm being super careful with this one. I'm a bit skeptical of rooting it in the sense of voiding my warranty, and I remember hearing about some eFuse on the DX so I'm a little worried about ruining my phone because I'm a broke engineering student. Is rooting worth it in the end? I'm sure this has been answered a million times before, but is the added customizability and the screenshot worth it in the end? Thanks for taking your time to reply.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

the5barrons

Reaction score
Yes, rooting is worth it. You should be able to enjoy all the fruits that your investment is capable of. Getting it back to stock, provided you don't take it too far, should be just as easy. Do some searching, rooting is almost a once click gig nowadays.

BodyBagz

Reaction score
Just go to the market and download ShootMe...should not even have to root if memory serves me...app works quite well.

*Scratch that...Shoot Me does require root access...sorry!*

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

dyrelogan

Reaction score
Rooting is so easy, as is unrooting...so not an issue. But for those that really don't want any hassles, I suppose its an inconvenience but for some reason vzw/motorola believe screen shots are a bad thing. Root and be happy with the added apps or don't. Maybe someday they'll have a phone with that as a stock app.

They do. It's called Blackberry Storm. I took screenshots on my BB Storm when I had it, but I think it was part of an app I bought. Guess Blackberry didn't care about screenshots with their equipment. No rooting, modding, or messing around with it at all. Just a simple, cheap app. I still would like to root my phone, but with all my posts on here, no one is giving me a direct answer or even a website where I can accomplish this.

the5barrons

Reaction score
Dude, there is like fifteen different threads on rooting....what do you need to know?

dyrelogan

Reaction score
Well I've been asking one question. I am looking for a one-click root because I do not want to download a bunch of programs to root one phone. I found one, but someone said it was not for 2.2 so now I am lost.

Reaction score
I was hesitant to root my X for the same reasons u r. I rooted today after a week and 2 days of bringing home my X!

Very easy to do. Able to eliminate the bloatware and start to make this phone mine.

It is worth rooting! You wont be disappointed ...

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

the5barrons

Reaction score

They do. It's called Blackberry Storm. I took screenshots on my BB Storm when I had it, but I think it was part of an app I bought. Guess Blackberry didn't care about screenshots with their equipment. No rooting, modding, or messing around with it at all. Just a simple, cheap app. I still would like to root my phone, but with all my posts on here, no one is giving me a direct answer or even a website where I can accomplish this.

I had a Storm I for a long time (2 years) and never used the screenshot app. Oh well...I guess I learned something new today....apparently about a phone I haven't had in a good long while....lol.