Labelert - Gmail LED colors

hotstyle765

Reaction score
So I had the issue of getting tons of emails which most of them being not important with the a few important ones mixed in. I always found myself checking my phone every time an email came in because I was worried it was something important.

So I decided to create an application to solve this problem for me. It is called Labelert. You are able to apply labels in Gmail to incoming emails. Labelert reads these labels and changes your phone's LED color depending on which label gets applied.

There are 5 colors to choose from.

Check it out at Labelert.com

Don't forget you can try it out for free for 24 hours.

Hope this helps some people out.

Last edited:
J

JohnDroid

Wow that's pretty neat. Can you modify the program to change LED colors based on WHICH email account it comes in on as well? ie, I have a work gmail and a personal gmail and obviously they are different priorities.

OP
hotstyle765

hotstyle765

Reaction score
Wow that's pretty neat. Can you modify the program to change LED colors based on WHICH email account it comes in on as well? ie, I have a work gmail and a personal gmail and obviously they are different priorities.

Actually to tell you the truth I have never tried it on multiple Gmail accounts. I will add it to the version 3 changes to handle multiple accounts. You could try it out and maybe use one color for Work and one color for personal.... You do have 5 to choose from.

But if I had to guess with version 2 it will only work with 1 account. Ill get version 3 out next week hopefully with this update.

Thanks for your interest!

redstorm64

Reaction score
Sounds like a useful app. I'm wondering though, does is only work if you use labels named "red android", "blue android", etc. or could I use it for a label I already use in Gmail such as "School", or "Work"?

OP
hotstyle765

hotstyle765

Reaction score
Sounds like a useful app. I'm wondering though, does is only work if you use labels named "red android", "blue android", etc. or could I use it for a label I already use in Gmail such as "School", or "Work"?

Only works with those labels... but remember you can apply more than one label to a message. So just apply another label with those that you already use.

M1dnite

Reaction score
So I had the issue of getting tons of emails which most of them being not important with the a few important ones mixed in. I always found myself checking my phone every time an email came in because I was worried it was something important.

So I decided to create an application to solve this problem for me. It is called Labelert. You are able to apply labels in Gmail to incoming emails. Labelert reads these labels and changes your phone's LED color depending on which label gets applied.

It only costs $.99 and don't forget you can try it out for free for 24 hours.

I love it.. Big picture though: can you have it apply different notfications to different labels. For example, my Bank labels I would like it not to make a sound but for an email coming to me personally, I want to hear it ring.

OP
hotstyle765

hotstyle765

Reaction score

It only costs $.99 and don't forget you can try it out for free for 24 hours.

I love it.. Big picture though: can you have it apply different notfications to different labels. For example, my Bank labels I would like it not to make a sound but for an email coming to me personally, I want to hear it ring.

Yes it does this already! Choose the Alert sound, vibration, and LED flash duration(blinking or stay on) for each label.

jefbystereo

Reaction score
I have been looking for an app like this for a long time, glad to see someone stepped up and made one.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

Very clever use of gmail's labeling feature. I've used gmail for about 5 years now and one of its best features is the fact that email messages can tagged with multiple "labels" rather than simply putting a message in one folder or another. Kudos for taking advantage of that feature.

Lock-N-Load

Reaction score
OMG.. it just choked my phone. I bought it, opened it and my phone went crazy.. in an endless loop it keep saying the "droid" ring tone over and over and over and at the same time, it vibrated endlessly AND flashed the green LED with the "Green message" in the menu bar AND NOTHING ELSE was in the menu bar anymore!!! it took over the entire phone AND then caused it to reboot.. I then rebooted and it all happened again!! it took me a few minutes to be able to get past it and get to the market to uninstall and get a refund.. Then, it still took over the menu bar and endlessly flashed the green LED and showed the “Green message: notice over and over so I had to reboot again to totally clear it... man, what happened here???

UPDATE: okay, the dev was super responsive and we tried to work it out, but we could not totally confirm the issue. It seems though, the app recognizes anything in the inbox, not just unread emails, so when it started up, it tried to alert me on every single email in my inbox.. 50+ emails, even though none were "unread". So, it seems a small design glitch as it should only alert you to unread emails, not just emails, as I am undoubtedly not going to be the only one with lots of read emails in their inbox. Like I said, responsive dev, so he will likely get it squared away, but I moved on.

Last edited:
OP
hotstyle765

hotstyle765

Reaction score
OMG.. it just screwed my phone. I bought it, opened it and my phone went crazy.. in an endless loop it keep saying the "droid" ring tone over and over and over and at the same time, it vibrated endlessly AND flashed the green LED with the "Green message" in the menu bar AND NOTHING ELSE was in the menu bar anymore!!! it took over the entire phone AND then caused it to reboot.. I then rebooted and it all happened again!! it took me a few minutes to be able to get past it and get to the market to uninstall and get a refund.. Then, it still took over the menu bar and endlessly flashed the green LED and showed the “Green message: notice over and over so I had to reboot again to totally clear it... man, WTF happened here???

Looked into the issue and I could not reproduce it. I am currently having my testers look into it also. The application starts and only notifies you if something new has come into your inbox. If I am able to reproduce your issue I will let you know and send you the app for free. Thanks for your response!

Lock-N-Load

Reaction score
Looked into the issue and I could not reproduce it. I am currently having my testers look into it also. The application starts and only notifies you if something new has come into your inbox. If I am able to reproduce your issue I will let you know and send you the app for free. Thanks for your response!

no worries, if you get it squared away, let me know. I know you tried/are trying.

No doubt it seems to react to anything in the inbox, not just unread emails, and I just can't believe that I will be the only one with a ton of read emails in his inbox to have this happen. But it is a new app, maybe others have not tried it so you didn't know... until now.

OP
hotstyle765

hotstyle765

Reaction score

no worries, if you get it squared away, let me know. I know you tried/are trying.

No doubt it seems to react to anything in the inbox, not just unread emails, and I just can't believe that I will be the only one with a ton of read emails in his inbox to have this happen. But it is a new app, maybe others have not tried it so you didn't know... until now.

Think you misunderstood me... It only reacts to emails that are new to the inbox. When you first start the app it sees what is in your inbox. Then if anything new gets added to your inbox you are alerted. So meaning if you have a ton of unread emails in your inbox that is fine it knows they were already there. It wont alert you for them. But if something gets added to your inbox once the app has started (read or unread) it will alert you about it. The only way I can make the alert go off a ton of times is if I move a ton of email from say my archived messages back to my inbox. But then it just gives me one alert for each message. (no reboots or errors) But if I do figure out what happened in your situation I will let you know. Thanks again for the info.

Last edited:

Lock-N-Load

Reaction score
but that is what I am saying and have said.

The very moment it started it went nuts. All I had to go was install the app and POW.
All email in inbox were read, marked as read.
No new emails came in during this.
Nothing got added to the inbox "once it got started"

So, it seems it did NOT recognize all my inbox emails as read and tried to alert me to them and did consider them as all unread as you would expect and say. Point is, it worked contrary to what you say as how else to you explain the craziness other than to say it was because it assumed everything in my inbox was unread.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
but that is what I am saying and have said.

The very moment it started it went nuts. All I had to go was install the app and POW.
All email in inbox were read, marked as read.
No new emails came in during this.
Nothing got added to the inbox "once it got started"

So, it seems it did NOT recognize all my inbox emails as read and tried to alert me to them and did consider them as all unread as you would expect and say. Point is, it worked contrary to what you say as how else to you explain the craziness other than to say it was because it assumed everything in my inbox was unread.

Mine didn't quite do THIS, but it DID alert me of ONE email that I know I already read...and for the life of me, can't find it...lol. It seems to have gone away though, so no worries.

The one thing I'm wondering, if I want for all of my emails that AREN'T setup for a specific color (ie, I have Google Buzz emails set to be blue), do I need to set them all up to go into the green label in order to receive notification on them, or can I simply leave it as is?

Basically, I only want to use this app for a very small percentage of my daily emails, but would like to make sure that I'll still get notifications on the rest of my emails. Having turned off notifications in the gmail app per your directions, I just want to be sure that was the right thing to do, or if I need to label ALL emails. Seems like I don't need to.

Also, I know you're still working hard on this app, as is apparent by your response to the issue stated by Lock, but I noticed that my status bar simply states "Green message" when a new e-mail (I believe an unlabeled one) come in. Is that the only way it'll work, or can I get the standard-looking notification? I also noticed that your app seems to not group emails. I wouldn't mind if it grouped each color. For example, the notification tray could say "3 green messages," "4 blue messages," etc.

Hope all of that makes sense!

Thanks for the great app! I'm definitely keeping it. Just want to make sure I understand completely how to set it all up to work best for me!!!