kitkat

rcblate

Reaction score
Good morning all. Has anyone received the kitkat update yet? If so, how is it? Be well.

llsee

Reaction score
I tried to install the update and my phone is bricked! It started fine, but now it is sitting with the motorola flash screen for the past 4 hours!

OP
R

rcblate

Reaction score
Yikes! Was the update ota? Are u stock or have u rooted the phone?

llsee

Reaction score
Do NOT accept the upgrade to 4.4 if you have a Mini. I just got back from the Verizon store, and the rep said that it is happening "a lot"! He said it happened to their employees. And, when I get my replacement phone, I should decline the upgrade, until Verizon fixes the issue(s)!

I am stock on my Mini. I thought about rooting it, but never did. Especially since the SIM card is unlocked on the Mini, there just wasn't a need.

OP
R

rcblate

Reaction score
Wow! Sounds like they have some work to do!

llsee

Reaction score
Well, I got my replacement phone, but I am not applying the update, until I hear that it is working. Interestingly, though, there are not any other reports of problems on Droid Forums.

OP
R

rcblate

Reaction score
U should tweet vzw support and see what they say. I presented your scenario to them yesterday and got a non-response response.

OP
R

rcblate

Reaction score
Also I have not seen any other news about problems either. Glad to know that folks at your local vzw have issues as well. Where do u live? I am n Atlanta.

OP
R

rcblate

Reaction score
Anyone out receiving kitkat yet? How is it going? Have a nice day.

llsee

Reaction score
@rcblate; I live in Southern New Mexico/far West Texas (about 40 miles north of El Paso, TX). Since I have gotten my replacement phone, and finally got it restored to my preferred state I have not been prompted to apply the KitKat update. It immediately prompted me to apply the November update that had the camera fixes (Verizon Update 12.15.15), but not Android 4.4. VZW/Google did a good job of restoring my contacts, and Google restored all of my apps, but I don't backup my passwords with Google, so I did have to re-authorize my apps that need a password.

OP
R

rcblate

Reaction score
Kitkat arrived this morning. Phone seems a bit smoother. It was smooth before. Not sure what additional features are in this build. Install went perfectly. No issues to speak of at the moment.

FullLock

Reaction score
I just got my 4.4 OTA update today and I'm not impressed. My phone seems abit more laggy but its not horrible and the most annoying thing is when I hit the Home button it shows me all my home screens then I have to hit it again to get back to the screen I was previously on. Also my phone runs very hot now way hotter than with 4.3 JB.
I tried to decline the update but it just had me pick a time later in the day when it would either update on its own or ask me again. Not happy with KK.

OP
R

rcblate

Reaction score
Every device is different I suppose. I do not see an appreciable difference in the performance of the device. The camera seems to work a bit different, but that is about it.

llsee

Reaction score
UPDATE on My Mini Kit-Kat-Mini problems. After having my Mini 'bricked' during the Kit-Kat install shortly before Christmas, I was reluctant to try the upgrade again on my replacement phone. However, this past week, the Kit-Kat update was pushed out to my phone again. I delayed the installation, until I talked to the VZW store where I had taken my old phone and was advised about update issues. The store personnel were of mixed opinion, but the consensus was I should try it. So, I did install the update yesterday. And, I can report this time it did complete normally. So now my Mini and Nexus7 are running the same version of Android. personally, I don't see any difference in performance between the previous version and this one.