Kindle app

hopeqing

Reaction score
I'm new here. I used to use itouch to read. I loved iBook. It has a dictionary, which is quite useful for me. After migrating to DX, I found that the kindle doesn't come with a dictionary. Anyone here know if there is an attempt to do so?

Thanks!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Technoman

Reaction score
I'm new here. I used to use itouch to read. I loved iBook. It has a dictionary, which is quite useful for me. After migrating to DX, I found that the kindle doesn't come with a dictionary. Anyone here know if there is an attempt to do so?

Thanks!

Get the Dictionary.com APP from the market.

OP
H

hopeqing

Reaction score
Just got it. I still miss the convenience in iBook. All I need to do is to double click on the word and the dictionary will give a line of explanation right on the spot.

TwerpPoet

Reaction score
It would be nice if the ebook sellers would get some dictionary support for their Android apps, even if it only works online. The ability to search words and phrases in Wikipedia would also be nice. I'm reading some historical based science fiction right now and it would be nice to do quick bits of research on some of the terms and people.

It will probably happen sooner rather than later. I see this kind of search ability as being pretty much standard on all ereaders eventually.

TwerpPoet

Reaction score
Been a while since I opened the Kindle app, so I was surprised to see that they have added online dictionary and Wikipedia search. So I guess it was sooner than I thought. :)

Just press and hold a word. When it is highlighted let go and choose more from the popup menu.

Guess I should do my research before I reply instead of after.

OP
H

hopeqing

Reaction score
Thanks! I realized I don't have the most updated version. Do the apps automatically look for updates or the user has to do it??

TwerpPoet

Reaction score
Go to the Market, hit the menu button, and choose Downloads. All your apps that have updates available will be listed at the top. You can install all of them by hitting the button at the bottom or individuals by choosing them.

You can choose to auto updated individual apps. Just open them in the market and check the auto updated box.

Or:

I prefer to use the AppBrain app to check and update my apps. It works similarly, but has a better interface. Appbrain.com also offers you a way to brows and install apps from a web interface.

Just be sure to to make you app list private if you don't want othes to see what you have loaded on your phone. The selection shows up on the right, midway down on the MyApps screen (web interface).

msheppard

Reaction score
I do not like the android kindle dictionary functionality. I was using eReader before kindle and it had linking to a non-online version of a dictionary. It was very easy to click on a word and it automatically went to the dictionary definition of that word.

Here's what I dislike about the kindle method of defining a word:
  • It assumes your trying to select more than one word, I'd much rather have it try to figure out which single word my fat finger was trying to select
  • It looks it up ONLINE, which is slow and will fail in airplane mode
  • The definition is the dictionary.com web page with advertising

Personally, it feels like someone added "Dictionary lookup" as a requirement to the kindle specs and a very lazy developer checked it off with the current functionality. In my mind, it's a big fat FAIL

M@