Just bricked my phone? I think? How? :( sad face

roadrunnersk

Reaction score
I'm a bit unsure as to how this happened. Heres a breakdown of events:

1. I flashed Codename Android.
2. Everything was running VERY smoothly.
3. I rebooted as I do every night just a bit ago.
4. When it loaded up, it sent me to the "Activation Screen" for some reason?
5. It went to the desktop, but the moment I touch an app it froze.
6. I rebooted multiple times, and each time it gets to the desktop, it doesnt let me touch an app or even get to settings.
7. As in, it literally doesnt let me do ANYTHING.
8. I went to clockworkmod recovery, recovered to a previous save.
9. That did no good, same thing happens.
10. I have tried clearing and going to fresh state from CWM, all to no avail. It give me a "failed to restore /data" error every time.
11. I tried pushing a fresh image of Codename Android to the root of my SD partition, flashed it, but it did no good either.
12. Right now, its just sitting on it's boot animation, cant even boot up. But I can get to CWM.

Notes: I noticed that there is no network connection. And it looks like whenever I try any app that is part of the OS (meaning any app, including settings), the whole shindig freezes...

I dont know what to do! I dont know if USB Debugging is enabled for me to go through ADB... and I'm not that skilled in ADB either. I'm willing to do anything, including go back to stock, anything! to get it working again...

Help? :(

bhfd64

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'd try going back to stock. Have you used Odin before? Here is a file that can be pushed via Odin. Stock unrooted.

OP
R

roadrunnersk

Reaction score
I will try this... Never used ODIN, nor do I know what 7zip is, but those instructions are fairly clear.

OP
R

roadrunnersk

Reaction score
It seems that all of the downloading sites are offline. I can't download the stock image. Anyone have any other suggestions?

bhfd64

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I will try this... Never used ODIN, nor do I know what 7zip is, but those instructions are fairly clear.

Yeah it's not too hateful. Holler if you need help. You probably don't need to do the radio file, just the other one with the PDA button in Odin.

bhfd64

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It seems that all of the downloading sites are offline. I can't download the stock image. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Oh man that sucks. I think one of the other guys downloaded it when it was working. I'll see if he can put it on Dropbox for you. Here is the ADB method for returning to stock in the meantime if you can use that. Also I think Wug's tool will return you to stock if you can get that set up.

OP
R

roadrunnersk

Reaction score
Wug's tool seems easy, but I can't check the USB debugging box... I can't get in to settings... I'm going to try to get Wug's set up anyways and see if it can make some magic happen.

OP
R

roadrunnersk

Reaction score
Well, Wug's isnt going to work. Its not booting anymore. Cant get past the boot animation, but still can get into CWM... I need it to at least boot to install the drivers (I dont have the drivers anymore...)

lazarus2297

Reaction score
Boot into fast boot by holding volume + & - and power then use the fast boot image files in the return to stock thread in the development forum

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

bhfd64

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Do you have any other ROMs on your internal storage? Might try to wipe data/cache/dalvik and install one of them if you do.

OP
R

roadrunnersk

Reaction score
Lazarus: I will try that next, I downloaded the drivers manually, i'm trying Wug's to get back to stock. If that doesnt work, I will do exactly as you said. Bhfd64: I don't have any other images backed up. I pushed a fresh copy of codename android after wiping everything possible this last time... Nomatter what happens, thank you very much to all that have helped!

bhfd64

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Lazarus: I will try that next, I downloaded the drivers manually, i'm trying Wug's to get back to stock. If that doesnt work, I will do exactly as you said. Bhfd64: I don't have any other images backed up. I pushed a fresh copy of codename android after wiping everything possible this last time... Nomatter what happens, thank you very much to all that have helped!

I think laz's instruction is your best bet. Same thing as the link I gave you earlier. You'll skip the first step because you'll be booting into bootloader manually as he described.

pyro6128

Reaction score
Yea this phone is virtually impossible to brick at this point. Just flash stock and you'll be fine

OP
R

roadrunnersk

Reaction score
Well... I flashed stock, got it back up and running! Then, funny thing lol, I decided to see if i can pinpoint the error. So, I flashed the image that crashed on me. And what do ya know? It works just as well as it did before!

Thank you all for your help, I sincerely appreciate it! Jeez I love this phone!