Jelly bean update is failing

rap2jr4

Reaction score
I've tried twice to upgrade my Bionic to JEllybean and both times it downloaded fine. The phone rebooted, I got the Droid man and the installation starts and about halfway through if fails. Anybody else having this problem?

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
I've tried twice to upgrade my Bionic to JEllybean and both times it downloaded fine. The phone rebooted, I got the Droid man and the installation starts and about halfway through if fails. Anybody else having this problem?
need more info about your phone set up. Is it completely stock? Nothing changed, deleted etc.

drca001

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem. The atomic-android man is cheerfully spinning away, then he tips over and a yellow triangle with an exclamation point appears. The phone reboots into ICS with the notification that the update failed. I am stock, never rooted.

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Sounds like you have some file missing on your phone that it is looking for when updating.
If everything is not perfect as far as files & system apps including bloatware that was on the phone it will fail the update.
Your only option at this time would be to do an FXZ to the latest ICS update. This will make sure everything is as it is supposed to be and than you should be able to complete the update to JB after that.

The link to the guide to FXZ your phone & all the files needed is below in my signature.

Make sure you back up anything you want to keep from your internal storage as it will wipe everything clean except the external storage card.

By FXZ your phone, it will make sure you have your phone back the way it would have come form Verizon out of the box.

drca001

Reaction score
Update successful

Worked like a charm, thanks! So far it's been buttery smooth sailing on the lumpy jelly bean seas. Or something like that...

sactownjoey

Reaction score
Sounds like you have some file missing on your phone that it is looking for when updating.
If everything is not perfect as far as files & system apps including bloatware that was on the phone it will fail the update.
Your only option at this time would be to do an FXZ to the latest ICS update. This will make sure everything is as it is supposed to be and than you should be able to complete the update to JB after that.

The link to the guide to FXZ your phone & all the files needed is below in my signature.

Make sure you back up anything you want to keep from your internal storage as it will wipe everything clean except the external storage card.

By FXZ your phone, it will make sure you have your phone back the way it would have come form Verizon out of the box.

Will performing a factory reset on the phone accomplish the same thing? My JB update is failing as well. Except I get a red triangle with the exclamation point with the dead-looking android flat on his back. I did a factory reset and the same thing happened.

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Will performing a factory reset on the phone accomplish the same thing? My JB update is failing as well. Except I get a red triangle with the exclamation point with the dead-looking android flat on his back. I did a factory reset and the same thing happened.

I don't believe so. A factory data reset is just as it says.
Resets all the data & settings to as they were out of the box.
It does not put back files that are missing.
You have to flash the phone to put back the missing files.
Incorrect setting does not stop the phone from updating.

lgalcarte

Reaction score
I had the same problem. I had to re-flash .246 and then the OTA update worked. And I'm rooted using the method posted on this site. It's all good so far!!