January OTA Update qestions.

jcortes

Reaction score
Not sure if there is any official word yet but I have a couple questions.

1. Will the update be android 2.1 or just another patch 2.0.x?
2. If 2.1 is not released in this update what are the chances of getting it on the Droid period?

mjs31

Reaction score

2. If 2.1 is not released in this update what are the chances of getting it on the Droid period?

It is believed to be 2.1 but could be 2.0.2.

You can actually get 2.1 on the droid now if you root it. Updates on the Droid will not be an issue so it will be coming to the Droid....

Reaction score

Google has investments in both the nexus one and the droid. It would make little sense business wise to make one better than the other on a software front, especially since both are on separate carriers. Also, to have a device in it's infancy to only receive minimal updates forever would also show poor business sense and lack of customer satisfaction.

The droid is their current cash cow on the market, it would surprise me if the update wasn't 2.1 (especially since the rooted 2.1 rom seems to function very well given the circumstances).

pmas

Reaction score

Google has investments in both the nexus one and the droid. It would make little sense business wise to make one better than the other on a software front, especially since both are on separate carriers. Also, to have a device in it's infancy to only receive minimal updates forever would also show poor business sense and lack of customer satisfaction.

The droid is their current cash cow on the market, it would surprise me if the update wasn't 2.1 (especially since the rooted 2.1 rom seems to function very well given the circumstances).
Totally agree. Just look at the disaster the Storm 1 was for BB. Perfect example.

Redls1bird

Reaction score
Considering most people bought their phones on a 2 year contract with VZW, I would expect software to stay current for at LEAST two years. Since android is open source, im sure we will always be able to stay up to date, provided the phones hardware doesnt become obsolete.