iTunes onto Droid?

[email protected]

Reaction score
Not sure if this is possible. Has anyone been successful with moving or copying their iTunes music (or even playlists) to Droid? I am hoping that there is a solution that is just a few clicks, rather than one-on-one transfers. I have a Droid Incredible. Thanks - Len

drtnsnw

Reaction score
Plug your phone in as a hard drive. Find your music folder for itunes (I have a shortcut). Drag your music from your itunes folder to your phone. Easy as that!
Chris

techinv

Reaction score
I use the Missing Sync, because I thought that was the only way to get iTunes playlists copied over. I know that you can drag and drop music files easily.

sidsixseven

Reaction score
doubleTwist has the best functionality (synchs both Windows Media/Zune and iTunes playlists) but the desktop app is pretty intrusive. I would happily pay $5 to not have my privacy violated that badly but it's not an option.

smilsdo

Reaction score
why don't you give Audiogalaxy a try. This app allows you to stream your itunes to your phone rather than store an exorbitant amount of data on your sd card. It works quite well as long as you leave your computer on. :)

zero7404

Reaction score
doubleTwist has the best functionality (synchs both Windows Media/Zune and iTunes playlists) but the desktop app is pretty intrusive. I would happily pay $5 to not have my privacy violated that badly but it's not an option.

what do you mean by intrusive ? it looks like the desktop app just reads your playlist info, then imports it for you to select what you want to put on the phone ....

i've tried different players and methods of getting my music on the phone (including manual drags-drops) ... so far doubletwist seems to be the most straightforward and best solution for my needs. i was looking for a player that can play my itunes tracks in the correct order. since doubletwist transfers playlists, i just made playlists according to how i want to hear my albums, then synced.

android's stock player cannot read or parse the ID3 tag info of itunes audio properly, since most of my music is in m4a format, it was impossible to get the player to playback my albums (multi-disc) in the correct track order. whether this was due to file name, ID3 info, etc. i'm not sure, but i tried different things and many players, that still could not arrange the music the way it needed to be (example: disc 1 trakcs 1-11, then disc 2, tracks 1-10, etc.). i have one album that is 6 discs, the stock player would pretty much turn that album into a party shuffle.

i want to buy airsync, but want to be sure the latest version is good, won't cause me headaches. so far i haven't had an issue using the USB method, however if i buy airsync and run into an issue after the [whopping] 15 minute trial, then i don't want to deal with going to doubletwist and asking for a refund.

Last edited:

smtom

Reaction score
Why not replace them and be free of cr-apple nonsense? Download music junk from market, replace music with mp3 that isn't tied to cr-apple format?
The mp3's are free. Simple!
Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

DroidBurgundy

Reaction score
As I see it, if your intention is to continue using iTunes you have two major options...

(1) you can stream your music :

Theres many ways to do this, Audiogalaxy, Subsonic, Gmote, etc.

(2) Keep music stored on the sd card

I have used iTunes Agent to xfer music to my Droid 2, either directly to the phone or via SDcard slot on my computer. iTunes agent has worked great for me, had started using it because before having an android phone I had used an ipod.

iTunes Agent

zero7404

Reaction score
As I see it, if your intention is to continue using iTunes you have two major options...

(1) you can stream your music :

Theres many ways to do this, Audiogalaxy, Subsonic, Gmote, etc.

(2) Keep music stored on the sd card

I have used iTunes Agent to xfer music to my Droid 2, either directly to the phone or via SDcard slot on my computer. iTunes agent has worked great for me, had started using it because before having an android phone I had used an ipod.

iTunes Agent

itunes agent renames tracks by itself. in itunes a 2 disc album, the first disc, track 1 starts with 1_01. second disc, track 1 would be 2_01, etc ....

itunes agent removes the first characters, i.e. disc 1 track 1 becomes 01, disc 2 track 1 also becomes 01.

personally, i'm not an apple fan, don't buy their stuff since a few 5th gen ipods. but itunes is a good music repository and i like the SQ of AAC over MP3, so i won't really consider porting my entire library of music (33GB) over to another program since i'm comfortable with it and it does the job ....
only thing i don't like is the incompatibility with ID3 tagging between itunes and android, it's not seamless.

but doubletwist overcomes that. same functionality as the standard music player + it reads the itunes playlists as i organized them. one thing i think is good is the ability to reorg the playlist order on the device if i wanted to. something u can't do on an ipod.

Last edited:

techinv

Reaction score
If you can get yourself an invite to Google's cloud/music streaming service (http://music.google.com), that seems to swing over all iTunes music and playlists quite nicely. Of course, streaming music all the time is probably not a workable scenario with the DInc. But it is a decent option if you're stationary and/or have a decent wifi signal.

zero7404

Reaction score
personally, with the volume and type of activity going on over the internet today, i would refrain from 'sharing' any of my data with the cloud on the premise of convenience ... too many out there are using all sorts of services to store all kinds of things with google, dropbox, amazon, etc. these sources are targets for hackers and put ur info at risk.

so be it this is just music files, but some may contain personal data such as a name or a machine id.

sent via android