Is there an app to customize the call screen?

liguy257

Reaction score
Just wondering if there's an app that lets you customize the call screen, either outgoing or incoming, or when you're on a call, etc

Anyone? Bueller?

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
What are you looking to do? If you're just looking to change the color many of the theme packs will do this.

If you're wanting to do more I haven't come across this but I bet it would be pretty popular. Would be a cool feature:icon_ banana:

lmg95

Reaction score
I read this thread title and thought, "Yeah, that's a good question!"

I would be interested to know as well.

adbnist

Reaction score
I think the answer you're gonna find is that there is no specific app to install to do it. There are themes that might do it. The other thing to do is to pull the Phone.apk and edit the picture files yourself. I did that to get rid of the default green droid dude.

disassemble

Reaction score
How do you "pull the phone.apk"?

just guessing... i would plug the phone into the computer via USB. mount it. then look through the few directories for the phone.apk file and then maybe open it in photo shop ? lol... i duno
:greendroid:

adbnist

Reaction score
If you're rooted and have adb working, here's the gist of it. If any of this looks uncomfortable though, don't mess around with it.

Code:
adb pull /system/app/Phone.apk .
This will pull Phone.apk to your android-sdk/Tools dir.

Then unzip it (you may need to manually rename to Phone.apk.zip)

Then browse through and edit which ever graphic files you want. Zip it back up. Make sure it's named Phone.apk, then push it back onto your phone.

Code:
adb shell
su
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
exit
Code:
adb push ./Phone.apk /app/Phone.apk
I'd save a backup of the original Phone.apk in case something gets messed up.

OP
L

liguy257

Reaction score
If you're rooted and have adb working...

You've already gone beyond my capabilities here. Is it only possible to do on a rooted phone, or am I able to edit the file regardless? I wouldn't mind replacing the droid guy with a standard pic of my choosing.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you're rooted and have adb working...

You've already gone beyond my capabilities here. Is it only possible to do on a rooted phone, or am I able to edit the file regardless? I wouldn't mind replacing the droid guy with a standard pic of my choosing.

You have to be rooted to access these files. Even if you could get a read on them and pull them down, you'd need root access to push them back on the phone.

Cutter3

Reaction score
A slightly related question - is there a way to have the call screen shift orientation when the Droid is docked? I always keep my phone in the car dock while driving, and it seems odd that the software developers would miss this one. Everything else in the phone seems to recognize that the phone is in landscape mode, but the call screen/dialpad remain in portrait mode...