Is there a chance of apk files being harmful?

mynameisevans

Reaction score
Hi all, would like to check if apk files have ability to be harmful to the phone if it is not opened?

Here's what happened. I was reading some tweets and happened to click on one of the links my friend had tweeted. It opened my browser and downloaded a file called adultgallery.apk automatically, without my permission. The file name said it all, and i immediately deleted the file without opening it. Will it cause any harm to my phone since i did not open the suspicious file?

Thanks in advance,

Evans

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
Will it cause any harm to my phone since i did not open the suspicious file?

Thanks in advance,

Evans

I doubt it will cause any harm. If it could, I think you would've known shortly after downloading it.

Tapped from a Galaxy Nexus using Xparent ICS

OP
M

mynameisevans

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I guess its not much of a problem then. :)

handojim

Reaction score
Exactly the same thing happened to me yesterday, I deleted the apk file but it has just downloaded itself again.
How can I stop it from automatically downloading this file without my permission?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Exactly the same thing happened to me yesterday, I deleted the apk file but it has just downloaded itself again.
How can I stop it from automatically downloading this file without my permission?
Try downloading a virus scanning app such as Lookout and run that. Hopefully that helps.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Also uncheck the option to install apps from unknown sources.... You should only check that when you are installing from a backup...... If that is checked it can download but not install anything....