Is Motorola releasing a new flagship smartphone in 2014?

Livin PA

Reaction score
I tried to get a new Droid Maxx by Motorola for Black Friday thinking they (Verizon) would drop the price to $99, it didn't happen so I decided to hold off on my purchase until February because I am getting into a lot of bills anyway because of the holidays. Shortly after my friend who is a big Samsung fanboy tells me to get a Galaxy S5 which is coming out next year, it supposed to have a 20 MP camera and tons of power according to him. Since I am now waiting until next year I might just get it if it's that good but I have a soft spot for Motorola and I want to stick with them.

So my question is simple, will Motorola be releasing an S5 competitor come 2014? Thanks. :)

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Its a good possibility, however, or but, .....moto has fulfilled their obligation to vzw for droid devices....but I would think that they will probably (almost certainly) release a new flag shi device for vzw...I just hope that vzw has a little less control over it...but they control EVERYTHING on their network...so....

OP
L

Livin PA

Reaction score
Thanks, I would think even if they no longer have an obligation to Motorola (Which is news to me, I didn't even realize Motorola had a special connection to Verizon.) they would still release future phones on the Verizon network. Talking about the next Motorola flagship I am kinda concerned if it's made we won't see it until late 2014 because I can't find any reference to it on the internet anywhere.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
The x is the "next big thing" for right now...I personally like the droid maxx.. 3500 mah battery...that's gotta last a while...

But the x is customizable..and in ever ones struggle for identity...that's probably a big feature...but yeah...

February usually has a release for moto...but I'm guessing it will be a new color choice for some phones like the ultra and the x, possibly the maxx...there's ways employee device colors that ya hear about and see for sale on swappa or eBay too....

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Also.. the x is supposed to be 350$ today(wait for the website to reflect it and be running before you buy) or hit best buy...a moto x off contract for 350 is a pretty screaming deal...

OP
L

Livin PA

Reaction score
While the X is a nice phone under the hood it's hardly cutting edge. I really like that the X is assembled in the USA and has so many customization options (I heard real wood and gold is now available) but at the end of the day I will take the Droid MAXX's bigger screen and massive battery (Much desired after watching my Bionics battery die in under 3 hours of heavy usage). I chose Motorola because they're tough as nails (I work in HVAC so I need a phone that can take a drop without damage), they have the best radios (Very important when working in the field or living in my part of Pennsylvania) and I give credit to companies who employ Americans in R&D and/or assembly. I wanted bleeding edge performance but to be honest the Droid's MAXX's hardware is well regarded for it's power and lack of lagg, so hard specs isn't everything.

After thinking about it I think I will just listen to my gut and go with the Droid MAXX by Motorola unless they have something better on the table by this Spring which seems unlikely. I just hope to see the price drop to $99 soon.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't understand the 20mp camera in a phone. It's detrimental in my opinion. Since a lot of phone pics are for sharing and storing on phone/sd/cloud, 20mp doesn't give better photos only larger files. I'd rather have 5mp camera and 1mb file then 20mp camera and 5mb file.

OP
L

Livin PA

Reaction score
I don't understand the 20mp camera in a phone. It's detrimental in my opinion. Since a lot of phone pics are for sharing and storing on phone/sd/cloud, 20mp doesn't give better photos only larger files. I'd rather have 5mp camera and 1mb file then 20mp camera and 5mb file.

Well personally the camera aspect of the phone isn't the most important part for me but I would love a camera on my phone that is equal in quality to a small, stand along digital camera. I think the camera on my Bionic is good except it's absolutely terrible in low light conditions and the zoom is digital so I either have to chose to have a zoomed in but grainy photo or a good quality photo that is from too far away to make out. I would love a phone that could fix those shortcomings. That Nokia Windows based phone seems to go a long way in solving that issue with it's 41 MP camera. You can zoom in after taking the photo and have a high quality shot, I don't know about low light performance but I bet it's good.

I want to carry one device that can handle my entertainment, computing/online task and take good photo's/videos while having an amazing battery life. With the MAXX they're nearly there they just need to put some effort into the camera and they will have a pocket sized device that can do it all. I mean what's the point in having a camera in your pocket for spur of the moment photos/videos if the performance of the camera is limited? I have close to 800 photos on my phone so far from nearly 5 years back, half of them are 10 MP shots and I used under 2 GB's. I rather take more storage space up and have high quality shots personally. All the more reason Motorola needs to go back to SD card equipped phones. Plus the whole uploading thing is moot since I get 4G speeds equal to my home Cable connection. JMO.

Stormy Knight

Reaction score
Agreed. For some odd reason many people equate more megapixels to better quality. There is no real reason for a camera phone to have anything larger than 5mp. Now, if you want the pictures to look better, have a better camera or better camera optics. Having a 20mp camera just means you'll have a larger grainier picture.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
Agreed. For some odd reason many people equate more megapixels to better quality. There is no real reason for a camera phone to have anything larger than 5mp. Now, if you want the pictures to look better, have a better camera or better camera optics. Having a 20mp camera just means you'll have a larger grainier picture.

You guys are killing the mega pixels war. Let it rage. ;)

Sent from my DUM phone using Droid Forums

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
This war is wasting our time as it takes longer to upload and share pictures. And I only have so much time on this earth, waiting to upload a 20mp picture is the last thing I want to do.

That's one of the things I don't like about maxx camera, it doesn't let you downgrade from 10mp shots. I have some 4k x 2k pics that are 4mb+ in size. What a waste! 1080p pics are more then enough and are less then 1mb.

OP
L

Livin PA

Reaction score
More pixels, better lenses, or better cameras whatever. All I know is I want a camera in my smartphone that will match a small, stand alone camera. Something that can zoom a bit without losing photo quality and something that can work at night. All the specs behind it are meaningless as I only care about getting quality photos. At one time we all carried around separate devices that only did one function, now we have successfully combined all our portable devices into a smartphone. The camera is the last area they really need to make an effort on. They successfully combined other devices into one and I know they can do it with a camera.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
More pixels, better lenses, or better cameras whatever. All I know is I want a camera in my smartphone that will match a small, stand alone camera. Something that can zoom a bit without losing photo quality and something that can work at night. All the specs behind it are meaningless as I only care about getting quality photos. At one time we all carried around separate devices that only did one function, now we have successfully combined all our portable devices into a smartphone. The camera is the last area they really need to make an effort on. They successfully combined other devices into one and I know they can do it with a camera.

In that case, your only real option is the Lumia 1020. Because of the 41mp, there is no zoom so you can crop without grain

Sent from my Droid Maxx