Is it the RAZR MAXX's video recording or is it my computer?

altjx

Reaction score
I just recorded a video with my RAZR MAXX for the first time, and I've run into a problem.. I find it a little annoying because I'm not sure where the problem is coming from..

When I record the video, it does it just fine on the phone itself. However, when I go and transfer it to the computer, it's displayed sideways and I find myself having to download third party programs in order to rotate this (very very annoying).

What do you all use to rotate videos?

OP
A

altjx

Reaction score
Any suggestions? Thread title is irrelevant to my question, but that's beyond my control using the DROID forum app.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I just recorded a video with my RAZR MAXX for the first time, and I've run into a problem.. I find it a little annoying because I'm not sure where the problem is coming from..

When I record the video, it does it just fine on the phone itself. However, when I go and transfer it to the computer, it's displayed sideways and I find myself having to download third party programs in order to rotate this (very very annoying).

What do you all use to rotate videos?

How are you holding the phone when you record video? In portrait or landscape? The stock camera app is designed to take video in landscape mode, so video taken in portrait mode will be turned sideways when viewing on another device or with a different app. I'm not aware of a way to change that in the stock app.

OP
A

altjx

Reaction score
bsweetness said:
How are you holding the phone when you record video? In portrait or landscape? The stock camera app is designed to take video in landscape mode, so video taken in portrait mode will be turned sideways when viewing on another device or with a different app. I'm not aware of a way to change that in the stock app.

I'm holding it straight upwards as if I'm looking at everything normally. So I need to hold it sideways for it to display correctly?

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
altjx said:
I'm holding it straight upwards as if I'm looking at everything normally. So I need to hold it sideways for it to display correctly?

Yes.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL

Yep. The stock camera app is designed to be used in landscape mode, which is holding it sideways (have you noticed how the on-screen controls remain sideways on the screen when holding the phone normally?). I'm sure there are third-party camera apps on the market that will allow you to record video in portrait mode ("straight upwards") and will keep the video in the proper alignment.

OP
A

altjx

Reaction score
bsweetness said:
Yep. The stock camera app is designed to be used in landscape mode, which is holding it sideways (have you noticed how the on-screen controls remain sideways on the screen when holding the phone normally?). I'm sure there are third-party camera apps on the market that will allow you to record video in portrait mode ("straight upwards") and will keep the video in the proper alignment.

Oh ok. Yeah this is fine, I just didn't know it was supposed to be held sideways lol.

kool371

Reaction score
I know this is a little over a year old but I just realized that I had the same issue and had not been holding the phone in landscape. I found out that with Windows Movie Maker which is free and comes with windows you can rotate the movie so it displays correct on the computer. All I did was add the file in Widows movie maker clicked rotate right then clicked the drop down menu to the left of Home and clicked Save Movie. Select the setting you want for the movie I did for High Definition Display and typed in the name I wanted to save it as and it saved it as a Windows Media Video File and now it no longer displays sideways.