1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Is anyone else having WIFI problems??

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid X' started by wolfeman33, Jul 21, 2010.

1. wolfeman33

wolfeman33 New Member

I signed my Droid x to my home network and to a friends network , I'm not getting only 2 bars. it seems to work slower than the 3G network and I'm less than 2 feet from either router!Oh ya both routers go through n and acording to droid x spec. it should work with g/b/n .I'm hoping the .604 update or the fryo will fix this problem. Has anyone have the same? and is there a update comming soon or can I fix this thru. system resorces( not rooted)scared to try yet.
  2. Sydman

Sydman Rescue Squad Premium Member

3. Philba

Philba New Member

I heard some one say the 604 update resolves some of the wifi problems. I have no idea if it will fix your problem. I upgraded yesterday and have hooked up to 5 different routers just fine, for what it's worth (which isn't much, lol).
  4. wolfeman33

wolfeman33 New Member

Not sure how to find the wifi threads went thru th first 15 or so be fore starting this thread,I agree on the second part of your post.
  5. Sydman

Sydman Rescue Squad Premium Member

Yeah those two seem to have the most info in them, and I concur with Philba some are saying update fixed some issues. Been going back and forth all day on the general and tech forums just reading how the X is coming since I took mine back.
  6. wolfeman33

wolfeman33 New Member

Thanks Philba but for what ever reason my .604 has not been uploaded tome? sounds good to me through. Did you have problems before .604..
  7. erniel29

erniel29 New Member

WiFI problems

The main issues is with 802.11n routers. It seems to work fine with 802.11g. .604 update DOES NOT resolve the issue. Bottom line is that this phone's WIFI does not work with 802.11n period, and Motorola refuses to even acknowledge the problem.
  8. Philba

Philba New Member

no, I didn't have problems before the update and 2 of the routers are N (Airlink101 cheapo routers).

By the way, you might want to get wifi analyzer. It will show you what ssids are on what channels. If yours is in conflict with another, you could move it to clearer channels.

I was at microsoft yesterday and wifi analyzer showed something like 30 different ssids all stepping on each other. what a mess.
  9. KompressorV12

KompressorV12 New Member

All okay here. I have a linksys 802.11n router running mixed mode. I have the just released update but didn't see any problems before. Do you have the just releasedn droid x OTA update? Maybe try resetting to factory settings on your router and definitely reset it.
  10. erniel29

erniel29 New Member

Try running N mode only, and see what happens. I'm not very familiar with your router, and what "Mixed Mode" actually implies. When you say everything is ok, have you done a speed test? What kind of bandwidth are you seeing. You can download a free app called speedtest which will allow you to test your actual bandwidth over WIFI and 3G. Run the speedtest with WIFI turned off, then turn WIFI on, and run it again. Please post your results. With n only g only and mixed mode.

My results have been on average

3G 1.2MB down, and 900k up
    802.11g 8MB down 2-4MB up.

802.11n anywhere between 0MB down (test failed) to 1.2MB up but connection goes up and down about 5 times during test, and 0 up (test failed) to about 400k up. Its very erratic, sometimes the test wont even start. On the occasion where the test actually runs to completion, the needle indicator is very jerky, indicating that the conncetion is dropping, whereas when running tests in G mode, the needle is very smooth in both directions.
  11. KompressorV12

KompressorV12 New Member

I'll let you know when I get home... But I moved from the droid and I work in IT so I notice stuff like this and I can tell you i've seen no difference in wifi connectivity speeds or holding a connection since i've had my X
  12. zoulkyud

zoulkyud New Member

What settings are you using? Is the key set for auto or WPA/WPA2. I tested this on mine and only had the issue when the security was set for auto instead of WPA. Let me know if this helps at all.
  13. wolfeman33

wolfeman33 New Member

Not sure what setting or where I can find them on the droid x?? But I do get a strong Signial and my droid x says I'm connected but I'm unable to serf. or use apps that would use the wifi! it just keeps coming up this page must be down for repairs or upgrades, I refuse to believe the whole web is out. HA HA! So i called a Verizon Rep. and they said they are aware of the problem and was unable to give me a date of an update patch to fix the wifi problem will be pushed OTA. so keep trying and I'll keep checkig back to see if anyone has stumbled on a fix!
  14. Maiqui18

Maiqui18 New Member

I have the same issue...at work I get a strong signal, but the browser and apps seem not to be able to access the connection. Frustrating! At least you are the first person I hear that either Motorola and/or Verizion have acknowledged the problem. That's at least some good news.
  15. kiter86

kiter86 New Member

D-LINK 655 router set to "g only" completely fixed any issues i had with wifi. That is a good enough solution for me until a fix is sent out. still want to transfer at n speeds though, but ok for now.
  16. SMarciano1

SMarciano1 New Member

I have a droid and a droid x. I have a trendnet N router at home which works great with my laptop and desktop systems for over a year. The droid connects perfectly, never waivers and is quick when surfing. The X however struggles to connect. When it does, it'll stay connected for a minute or so and drop out. There are also times it'll show full wi-fi signal in the notification bar but it will not surf (web page not avail). I went to the library yesterday and it connected quickly and did not drop out. They have a Linksys G router there. Right now I show a full wi-fi signal but I get we page not available. The interesting thing is that this is the first time I've noticed that the 3G icon is displayed with the wi-fi icon.
    I noticed some sort of update to my phone. Is anyone aware of an OTA update today Saturday 7/24/10?
    Thanks Sal
  17. Pacidermiz X

Pacidermiz X New Member

Fixed my droid x home wifi connection issue!!!

FIXED MY DROID X HOME WiFI ISSUE!!!
    Hope it works for you- Droid X/ D-Link DIR-615 mixed b/g/n with tkip/aes cypher WPA security. MAC filtering on top of that. That's the mode most people across the forums are useing mixed mode that have the issue. Its also the most secure home settings for the newest/most common 802.11 standard. I was obtaining an IP and properly connecting to my router, which would disable the Droid X's 3G. Good so far, but the Droid X would nottake the leap out into the internet- or any of the network devices I have.

So with those details that will help someone fix this out of the way, here goes:
    I like a secure network at home. Call me paranoid. I disable UPNP (universal network plug 'n play service) on my router. I enabled it, rebooted the router, and used the "wifi on off" by CurveFish widget (just remember widgets are not in the app list, but used by a long tap on the home screen then selected from the android widget list). Poof- the WiFi came right up. I used this widget specifically because another forum post had suggested the issue is caused by the 3G not turning off, but I think the UNPN thing suggests that is not the cause. Hmm.
    So I have UPNP disabled on all my computers (the windows boxes that have it anyway). Ask the guru Steve Gibson at GRC.com why UPNP is so bad for your box and find the solution at the same time... GRC|UnPlug n' Pray - Disable the Dangerous UPnP Internet Server
    I am not afilitaed with GRC.com or Steve in any way besides listening to his podcast. He just does good work and I appreciate that.
  18. avt123

avt123 New Member

I can't connect to N but everything else works great.
  19. Interpol

Interpol New Member

You do realize that URL and program you referenced is almost 10 years old and hasn't been updated since 2001, right? If you're running Win7, it doesn't apply.
  20. kiter86

kiter86 New Member

I thought I fixed mine by going to g only, but problems are back.:icon_evil:
Search tags for this page
droid 4 not getting wifi
droid charge wifi connection failed
droid charge wifi issues
droid charge wifi problems
droid phone having wifi problems
droid wifi problems
droid x connects at 802.11n speeds
droid x wifi problem

droid x wifi problems

droid x wifi slower than 3g
droid x wifi specs