Problem with 802.11n/5GHz band

Discussion in 'Thunderbolt Tech Support' started by apa9999, Jun 11, 2011.

1. apa9999

apa9999 New Member

I have a dual band router, one with G at 2.4 and one with N and 5. The thunderbolt sees the G network but not the N. One of the reasons I bought the thunderbolt is the specs said that it was wireless-N compatible. I'm very disappointed that the wireless-N does not work. Has anyone gotten it to work on 5GHz?
  2. Greg Elmassian

Greg Elmassian New Member

Where is it written that it works with 802.11n? By the way, you can have 802.11n on just the 2.4 band. I don't think there is a dual band radio in the phone.

Greg
  3. bendystrawboy

bendystrawboy New Member

and why do you need N speeds on your phone? you doing a lot of file transferring?

you do know that unless you have a fiber connection you can't possibly need a N connection or see a difference in speeds unless transferring files locally.
  4. sharkura

sharkura New Member

I know that this thread is over a month old, with no contact, but I have a similar problem and would like to provide some insight as to why it doesn't matter whether I need N speeds on my phone.

I don't.

However, with the proliferation of wireless routers in my neighborhood, there is significant contention for the non-overlapping channels available on the 2.4 Ghz band (1, 6, 11). Not including my phone, all wireless devices in my house (all N) max out at 144 Mbit/sec on the 2.4 GHz band, and all channels show signal degradation, even though the router is not very far from the devices. There is not a single other user in my neighborhood who has set his/her router to 5 Ghz. There is no channel contention, and I am able to get 244 Mbit/sec on wireless devices.

And, I do transfer large files, both between computers and network storage. So, if I can use the 5 GHz band, my network performance for the entire network improves. I don't need it for my phone, but I'd like to use it if I can.

For the most part, as a 4G LTE user, I don't often feel I need to connect my phone to the network. But, it would be nice to do so, if a need arose. So, I have the same question ... do cell phones that are supposedly N devices support dual band operation. Verizon is having some trouble answering that question, but, I suspect not, since a wifi analyzer app on the phone doesn't see my network if it is set to the 5 GHz band.

¦{Þ

(and, yes, I know I don't have a droid ... but this is the first thread I came across that addressed this issue).
  5. Snow02

Snow02 New Member

The thunderbolt does not have 5 ghz. I believe the atrix does, but that's the only one I can think of off the top of my head.
  6. sharkura

sharkura New Member

PS. After some experimentation, I have come to the conclusion that the phone only supports 2.4 GHz operation. Too bad. :dry: I'll leave my network on the 5 Ghz band, and switch it if I have an pressing need to connect my phone.

¦{Þ
  7. sharkura

sharkura New Member

Whoops, missed your post when I put up my PS.

Thanks.

¦{Þ
  8. WildcatRudy

WildcatRudy New Member

One reason to have 802.11n on a phone is that a wireless network will not operate at N speeds if there are B and/or G devices on the network, as they will knock the speed down to 54Mbps. It looks like the Thunderbolt, my Asus laptop and the Sony SMP-N100 all support N speeds, but I know the older network card in the kids' computer is G, as is the computer upstairs. Also have a Droid 1, Wii, three Nintendo DS, etc., so those could all keep a network from using the N speeds if they don't support them.

I'm considering an 802.11n-capable WAP (wireless access point) for the newer devices, but running the others on a separate router/WAP so they can still use the G networking.
Search tags for this page
802.11n htc sensation
802.11n and droid razr m
droid bionic 802.11n
droid bionic 802.11n 5ghz
droid incredible 2 5ghz

droid x 5ghz wifi

droid x 802.11

droid x 802.11n

htc sensation 802.11n

htc sensation 802.11n 5ghz
htc sensation wifi 5ghz