Is anyone else having trouble adjusting to the new keyboard?

Discussion in 'HTC ThunderBolt' started by Fullstop, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Fullstop

Fullstop Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm coming from a rooted MotoDroid running Liquid GB, and this phone is miles ahead except the keyboard is killing me. I really miss the auto correct for I, I've, and the like, but the worst is I keep hitting the . when I am going for the spacebar. I've calibrated multiple times, but I always read, and type in horizontal and it seems like that woild have some effect on calibration overall due to button size and spacing from one o another.

Are there any suggestions, settings or anything to maybe help with the auto correct, and the spacebar problem? I don't like using the suggestion boxes and such, it really slows me down due to the aggrivation I guess.

Any help would be awesome, and will make you all royalty.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

2. techguru

techguru Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have been using Swype on my DINC and it was one of the first things I installed on my TBolt. I find the standard Android keyboard frustrating. I do like on the standard keyboard how they put the directional navigation buttons at the bottom since it doesn't have a trackball or D-pad. It takes an extra maneuver to bring up a directional pad on Swype.

The problem I am having is that the Tbolt is so large, that it is uncomfortable to Swype with one thumb in Landscape mode, so I wind up tapping instead of swyping, or even changing keyboards. Looking forward to a simple Root for the Tbolt if only so I can install Keyboard manager that automatically switches keyboards based on orientation (root only).

Alan

3. mitchb2

mitchb2 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm having a ton of trouble with Swype. Even when I go slow and I'm very careful, it produces bogus words. I absolutely cannot get it to recognize "still" (for example...there are many) no matter how many times I try. I end up pecking instead, which is very slow.

4. Blackhawk55

Blackhawk55 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've tried forcing myself to like Swype due to its rave reviews by many. However, I just can't like it. I took advantage of the Swiftkey 30 day trial a while ago. After using it for a while, I would switch back to Swype occasionally to retest myself on which I liked better. Swiftkey's prediction ability keeps me coming back to it. I am always shocked at the number of sentences I enter where all I do is accept the next word. It truly thinks faster than I do! My TB is on the FedEx truck as we speak so I can't comment on the stock keyboard just yet.

5. Donsell

Donsell Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I love the keyboard in Liquid's GB too. I think you can get the Gingerbread Keyboard from the Market.

6. Batwaffel

Batwaffel Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm, maybe I'm just enjoying a new phone that actually works (came from a Samsung Omnia) but I find the keyboard quite nice. I've never been a fan of auto-complete because, for some reason, it really really hates me, so not sure that I could like swype.

This keyboard in general has been working amazingly well for me. I might try a new one eventually, but for now, it works.

7. want a droid

want a droid Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My only complaint is when you select a suggested word, the phone doesn't automatically insert a space. I find myself typing sentences with no spaces sometimes.

8. Z06_Mir

Z06_Mir Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a hard time typing minute sometimes. Maybe I will give swype one shot on this one despite the fact I hated it on my d1. We'll see. I miss the physical keyboard on my d1 a little, the thunderbolt is only my second phone that had no qwerty since my Motorola razor (had a bb storm, hated it more than any phone) so it's a slight adjusting process. I do wish it would auto correct so I didn't have to put in the ' for I've and it's.

9. Kack

Kack Member

Ratings:
    +0
    this is the only drawback i find no auto spacing. but i have big hands and big thumbs i was nervous to ditch the phys kb but i am getting used to it and i actually started using speech to text which works amazing. im loving everything so far and cant wait for some roms.............

10. want a droid

want a droid Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Haha I also started using speech to text

11. The Merg

The Merg New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I posted about this earlier, but is anyone else having an issue with the keyboard not taking the button presses?

When I went to try out the TB, I had multiple issues using the keyboard. The biggest was that it didn't seem to accept my keypresses in that if I typed out "test", I would end up with "tst". It was almost as if I hit two keys to quickly back to back, the first keypress would not register. I had to hit the keys quite slowly and methodically for it to work for me.

- Merg

12. subguy812

subguy812 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My only issue as well..this HTC keyboard I thought used to have an option for place a space. Because I had it installed on my Droid for the longest time. I also like the Gingerbread keyboard

Search tags for this page
android keypad does not have yhe microphone
anyone else hate the keyboard on htc one m8
having trouble with spaces between words on keyboard

htc thunderbolt keyboard slow

htc thunderbolt slow keyboard

htc thunderbolt touch sensitive keyboard

i'm having a hard time adjusting to the droid
lg804 phone, anyone having trouble typing on the keyboard? a
on motorola m swype doesnt leave space between
s4 keyboard too sensitive