.IPD File Format to Droid

UNOME

Reaction score
I'm a recent convert from Blackberry to 'The Awesomeness' AKA Droid. However, I have a Password DB (in .ipd format) and I'm having an impossible time finding a conversion program to make the .ipd a .csv (or equivalent)...any help would make me very close to the most powerful Droider on the planet (with my Passwords in-tow!)..Thanks

Schlem

Reaction score
BlackBerry IPD format to Droid

I see this is an old question, but I couldn't find an answer....

My BB's screen cracked (BB's only issue was destroyed screen, data intact) yesterday,and I've been itchin' to get a Droid. Long story -> short: I never backed up/sync'ed my contact info, and the Verizon people no longer just transfer flash data. So, how to get my contacts from my BB?

I was given some information on using Desktop Manager (BB's data mgt program) to save contacts by a VERY helpful young woman, who was very knowledgable. However, it called for using VZ.com's contact function to export a CSV that GoogleMail could import. No go. Never could get VZ to generate my contacts, after multiple syncs (I admit I may have been doing this incorrectly).

What I did:
-I used Desktop Manager to backup my Address book (creating an IPD file, which I saved in a strategic location) from BB plugged into computer.
-I downloaded "MagicBerry" IPD file mgr and exported the IPD to a CSV file. You have to open a record and select something before you get the "Manipulate" function; Select "Export all addresses / Export to CSV file". MagicBerry Blackberry IPD Editor and Converter - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com
-THEN I tried opening the CSV file in BOTH GMail and Outlook Import functions - could not recognize file. The Outlook import function is MUCH more intelligent - you can map data fields across the databases - and this is what I did.

-Looking at the IPD file in MagicBerry, I simply assigned a sequential field number to each field:
Title #1
First #2
Last #3
Company #4
Birthday #5
Email #6
-Then I mapped the field numbers in the IPD field to the appropriate field numbers in the Outlook Import dialog. Yes, slightly tedious. Yes, there are lot's of unused fields. Additionally, there were 31 fields identified in the output IPD->CSV file, but 34 possiblities visible in Magicberry. I truncated the last three (Facebook id, Yahoo id, and Notes - certainly never used any of them).
-This time the Outlook Import function worked as expected (imported into "Contacts")
-Then I Exported to a < DOS > CSV file format, the information in "Contacts" (< Windows > CSV caused Gmail to gag and choke).
-THEN, I went into Gmail and Imported the newest Outlook CSV (DOS format) file and I got contacts! I had a couple dozen duplicate names (dunno where they came from, I certainly didn't have duplicates on my BB), but deleting them was trivial in the GMail contacts view.
-Opened GMail on my DroidX - Voila! :icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana:Contacts!

I hope this helps somebody.
Todd