Invalid Credentials signing into Gmail on my Droid RAZR

GreggA

Reaction score
Razr Validation Error for synching e-mail

The problem is with the Email app, which is found in the "All Apps". The last synch using this app was 6/21/2012. When I try to access my Gmail account using this app I get a connection error (invalid username or password. Visit settings to correct). When I got to settings and enter the correct password I get the invalid credentials error. When I try to remove the account, I'm asked if I really want to remove the account and answer "Ok", I get the same "invalid credentials" error. Yet when I use the GMail, with the same username & password the Gmail app immediately opens my Gmail account without any problem.

The default email app on the razr max is buggy and this bug needs to be addressed. It wouldn't be a hard fix - when you want to remove the email account, the removal should be unconditional after you click on the "Ok" button.

Something was changed in this app on or about 6/21/2012. Unfortunately going into the email settings while in the email app reading email, etc you can't change email delivery options. "Data push is turned on" and you can't change it. This is what starts the "invalid credentials" error". Deleting the app and reinstalling would correct this if you could only delete the app.

dcordash

Reaction score
agreed

Paul,
Great information and thank you. I am nto sure I follow all you said about the various Gmail accounts but that is not what is happening with me. In my case, my Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail accounts (All push on the RAZR MAXX) get this "invalid certificate" error and are no longer able to access the acount through the phone. Also, I only have one Gmail account.
In my opinion, this issue is a software issue and should be resolved by software. The Factory Reset is nothing more than a cop-out by whoever developed and maintains this code (Verizon or Motorola) and IS NOT A REASONABLE SOLUTION. I also agree with you in that if the root cause that caused this in the first place is not resolved, it can happen again.
I have spent over 30 hours reloading and reconfiguring apps/software on my new MAXX and I am not excited at all about having to do it again. Hopefully, more folks in this Forum can express their disgust with how this has been handled so far and encourage the suppliers to do a better job.

Thanks again - your information is really good.

Eric

I agree this whole Factory Reset solution is not a sound one, is a support line blow-off, and one I for sure am not going to pursue. I posted earlier this same problem with my Xoom tablet. It is not a device problem...it is a software problem. One that I'm sure will be straightened out soon and, quite possibly, may go away with the upgrade to ICS (and maybe I'm just being optimistic with that one). Factory resets are pretty extreme and can take hours of recovery to get back to square again. I would encourage everyone to be patient and an answer will come.

tamim

Reaction score
No more 6250 texts, but also no more emails

Just to add one more item of information here, I was having the problem reported in other threads (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-support/203768-text-6250-a.htm for example) with text messages from 6250 saying only "VZWNMN:1" or "VZWNMN:2". These stopped at about the same time as I started to see the "invalid credential" problem reported in this thread. I don't know what that signifies, except that it looks to me like an upgrade to fix the texting problem was pushed out and broke the messaging app entirely!

I've configured two Gmail accounts, one Yahoo account, and corporate sync to my work account on my Razr Maxx. My "core" Google account (the "g" account) wasn't duplicated, but the second Google account was -- I had two "g" accounts (core and secondary) and one "M" account which duplicated my secondary Gmail account. I deleted the secondary "g" account, so now my core account is a "g" account and my secondary Gmail is a "M" account -- but I can only read email from my core account in the Gmail app! I guess that's one better than no email through the messaging app, though.

BTW, corporate sync never stopped working through all this. Thank goodness, since email went kafloomy while I was out of town at a business conference and need my work email (timing, right?)

LKNmako74

Reaction score
spent a couple hours on a conference call with Verizon teir 2 tech and motorola advanced tech in an attempt to resolve the issue. I have a solution that works. it is not the most ideal for me, but it does allow you to have multiple accts with no "invalid credentials" notifications. (this may be a repeat of some of what Paul posted above).

Here's how to do it:

1) you have to do the "factory default reset" to remove all the accounts currently associated with the phone
2) when the phone reboots - set up your primary "google" acct. as prompted by the instructions (this is the google acct associated with the phone; provides contacts, calendar, email, etc.) (do not add any additional accounts at this time)
3) make sure sync is turned on for e-mail in this account - under the "my accts" settings. you will now have access to your "primary gmail" by use of the "gmail app" (this is the email app that actually says gmail underneath it).
4) go into apps
5) select "my accounts"
6) at the bottom of the screen select "add account"
7) select "email accounts" as the type of account to set up - when you do this you will get a msg that says that a gmail account has been detected. it will show your "primary google" account name and will prompt you to enter your password. DO NOT ENTER YOUR PASSWORD!!!!!
8) skroll to the bottom of the page and select "delete existing and start new account"
9) you will then be prompted to select the email account type
10) choose whichever acct you are attempting to set up and proceed as prompted by the phone.

This method will allow you to operate multiple accounts without any problems. You will access your "primary gmail" with the "gmail" application and other accounts with the "email" application with the "@" symbol over the envelope.

However the issue you will find is that your primary "gmail" will not be detected in any of the messaging applications or wizards which means you cannot get your gmail acct to appear in your universal mailbox or any other apps.

Best of luck. hope this helps.

PS - the techs i spoke with at motorola felt this issue would be resolved when "ICS" is pushed to your phone. but who knows if that will actually happen or not.

GreggA

Reaction score
Possible Solution to Invalid Credentials

Invalid Credentials Gmail Issue - Droid Razr Maxx from Paul - 06/24/2012

Here’s a couple of ideas that might help you get going again. It worked for me.

I spoke with Verizonwireless and according to them, although the Ice Cream Sandwich software upgrade is starting to roll out for the Razr, they said it does not automatically push to the phone. You have to go to Settings/About Phone/System Upgrades to Check for Upgrades and see if its available on your device.

So this should not be the cause of this issue.

(FYI, I would recommend not downloading the upgrade for a few months until the inevitable “new app shake out” occurs and some “Updates” are done.)

From my testing so far, the problem only seems to appear when using the Motorola “Messages” application and only with the Gmail app within it, not with accounts established under the “@” Email icon. Please let me know if you have found otherwise.

Here is one possible cause of the problem:

Does anyone having this issue have an “M” Gmail account they set up to pull emails that is a duplicate of the “core” email? To see the difference, on your Razr go to: Settings/Accounts and it will display the core email as a Black and White “g”. The non-core Gmail has an “M” icon.

I’m wondering if Motorola’s “Messages” app is conflicted by having two identical gmail accounts in the same area? (“g” and “M” accounts being the same)

My wife and I both have Razr Maxx phones. (I’m completing a review on it this week).

On my Razr Maxx, I have the core account email (the Black and White “g” for google), set to a Gmail address that does not have a duplicate Google “M” gmail account in my phone accounts. (I use this Gmail account as the account in Gmail “on the web” to consolidate multiple email addresses into one place for convenience.)

I used this email address as the core because the “core” email does not actually pull email, (you have to set up an “M” account to do that). It also matches my Google Play/Market email address, which is important.

Google Play/Market looks to your phone’s “core” Gmail account to match up your “My Apps” list in the store for keeping track of the apps you’ve downloaded. So you want them to be the same.

On my Razr I set up only the individual Gmail “M” email accounts and non-Gmail POP accounts (using the “@” Email for them), that I wanted to pull to my phone and none of them duplicate the core Gmail name.

So far anyway, I have not experienced this issue.

However, on my wife’s Razr Maxx, she is experiencing this problem.

The one difference I can find is that her core Gmail (Black and White “g”) account is also duplicated as her default Gmail “M” account on the phone. I set it up using the google “M” icon under the Motorola “Messages” App, as you would expect (vs using the alternate “@” Email POP icon in the same area).

When this problem occurred for her, I set up the same Gmail account using the “@” Email in the same area and it pulled correctly. (just not imap).

But that left her with a Universal Mail box with a broken Gmail account I cannot delete, and a working, identically named, email that does work in the same area.

Because I don’t want her to be confused by this, I simply put the Motorola “Messages” app into the Trash, went to Google Play and downloaded the Gmail “Top Developer” version of the Gmail App. I set it up where the Messages icon used to be on her phone and it works perfectly.

Although it’s not as pretty at the Motorola presentation, the Gmail app does have a big efficiency advantage: The Google app has a fast delete/archive check box located next to every email, allowing multiple emails to be marked and deleted simultaneously. (Nice)

The only other item in her Universal box was Text, and that appears at the bottom of her fixed icon bar visible on every screen on the Razr. So that’s still conveniently located.

If Motorola fixes the problem with their app, I could always put back her Motorola Universal Email box, if she wants it. But for now, we don’t have to do a “Factory Data Reset” the wipes out all the personalization she has and everything appears to be convenient and working fine.

One other option for now, to potentially avoid the deadly “Factory Data Reset” approach, could be this:

If your core Gmail account does match the email account you picked for the Google Play/Market, Leave the core (Black and White “g” Gmail) account in place on your phone. (If not, this might be a reason to do the Factory Data Reset, and make them the same. The Reset is the only way to change the core Gmail address on your phone.)

Next, create a new Gmail account in Gmail on the web. Within Gmail on the web, set it up to pull your other emails to this new Gmail account (Gmail has a feature that allows you to automatically pull up to 5 email addresses into the one Gmail account for you.

(When logged in to Gmail on the web, see “Accounts and Import” under the Settings Gear Icon on the far right upper corner of the Gmail screen.)

Then establish that one email on your phone as the “M” Gmail account the phone reads.

This will give you a unique, single “Universal” email you create via Gmail, rather than having multiple separate accounts set up on your phone. You can then manage the accounts from the web within Gmail, if you need to.

If you need to separate any email address or have an enterprise corporate email on your phone you can add that account to your phone. Just be sure you don’t use an email address that duplicates the core Gmail address, in case this duplicate issue is the issue.

One other thought. If this “Invalid Credentials” problem is occurring due to this duplicate email name issue, the “Factory Data Reset” may not be a permanent fix, unless Motorola fixes their app.

Hopefully some of these options may keep you from having to do a Reset and should work long term for you, especially if a Motorola fix takes time.
All the best, Paul G.

I found this on Droid Forum it seemed to solve one problem

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-bionic-tech-support/207862-invalid-gmail-credentials-try.html

but I now can't still remove the offending email account and I can't get to the settings page.

jseah

Reaction score
Just to let everyone know that this issue is not isolated only to Motorola phones. Yesterday (June 28) my HTC Rezound started acting up the same way. I kept getting a notification (warning triangle with an exclamation point)

"Sign-in error for [email protected]"

When I click on the notification, a window pops up that says:

Google sign-in

You entered the wrong password or your account has been changed. Please re-enter your password.

I go to re-enter my password and it doesn't accept it. It still says that the password is incorrect.

I tried activating the Gmail two-step verification process and that worked for about half an hour, then I started getting the error message again. However, what is different is that I have no issues with using the standard email app to access my Yahoo email accounts. I also do not use the standard email app for my Gmail account. I am using the Gmail app to access my Gmail. I have noticed that on Google's account webpage, it specifically states that smartphones do not support the two-step verification process. Even though I get the warning message about the email password being incorrect, the Play Store still works, although last night I was getting a "password incorrect" error when I tried going into the Play Store. Rebooting my phone made the notification go away, and the Play Store started working again.

Here is another wrinkle in the mystery. I have Google Calendar Sync running on my notebook to sync my calendar in Outlook with my Google calendar, which is accessed on my phone. That stopped working yesterday as well and every time it attempts to sync, I get the error message

Username and password do not match. You provided [email protected]. Please enter your full email address (including @domain.com).

So I am pretty sure that the issue is not with your phone (or mine). The issue lies with Google. If we were just getting the authentication error just on our phones, then we could blame the phone or the carrier or the OS. But this same problem is also affecting a Google app (Calendar sync) running on a Windows notebook as well.

While the error messages says that the username or password is incorrect, I know that they are correct. I can use that same username and password to log into my Google account just fine using a PC browser. I have even changed the password thinking that someone may have had hacked my account.

guyborango

Reaction score
Invalid Credentials trying to open Gmail In Driod Razor: Virus?

Hi all..been reading the threads and it seems a lot of you have posted on or after June 20th, which was the last day that my Gmail worked on my droid. I even went online via my
laptop and changed my password since when i went into my gmail and hit the refresh icon on the top right, next to the green + sign it would say the my something about my user name and/or password was invalid...it doesn't do that anymore...now when I refresh it just does nothing, not even an error message...and the only time it says invalid is when I try to go and type the password. I downloaded the gmail app and get my Gmail that way, but its crazy that there is no fix except a reset of the droid which i will lose all my other stuff, won't I?

dcordash

Reaction score
Just installed ICS

Got the new OS and it still didn't address this issue. However, with ICS, I do have the option of removing the account. But, when I select this option, it doesn't remove the Email/Gmail account. Bottom line...ICS did not fix the issue.

greysun

Reaction score
Same problem here

I noticed this seems to have occured for alot of us on June 20th or near about. Has anyone made any progress? I appreciate the suggestion of pulling from another account but for me this is just not a good option. This thing should work without having to go around our a hole to get to our elbow. So far I have cleared cache, Cleared app data. I tried to delete the account but of course I get the same invalid credentials error. I even uninstalled upgrades thinking that something was pushed on the 20th that caused this. Still no dice. I am in te process of downloading ICS now but since someone above already tried this I am not hopeful. This is not the first problem I have had with gmail unfortunately. On several occasions they have locked me and other family members out of accounts. It took weeks working with support, and I use the term support loosely to fix the problem. I am a die hard google fan, right down the the over priced search appliances but gmail is getting to me to much of a hassle. I have also had a hotmail account for almost 20 years and I have never once had a problem with it. I think I will just be forwarding my gmail to hotmail because that account always works, even on a google powered device.

Has anyone made any progress on this. I really don't want to give up on gmail but I do most of my communicating from my phone and having to open up a browser and log in each time I want to check gmail is just a hassle so until this is fixed I wont be using gmail anymore.

greysun

Reaction score
Partial resolution

So I got a partial fix. I am not sure which one of these steps fixed the issue so I will just tell you everything I did. the problem was that either through the Message widget or through the Gmail widget I was getting an Invalid credentials error. As stated before I uninstalled the gmail widget updates. I then installed ICS, then I reinstalled the gmail widget updates. After the ICS install the Message widget disapeared. I went into the inbox widget and tried to sync gmail. I didnt get an error but I also could not see any emails. I then tried to remove my gmail account from inbox. At this point the dreaded nvalid Credentials error popped up again. The good side of all of this is that when I went into the gmail widget I noticed I had emails after june 20th. I sent myself a test email and this time it was received. So long story short I am still not able to use the unified email "Inbox" but I at least am able to get new emails through the gmail widget.

This i good enough for now. I am hoping there will be an update soon that will fix the Inbox widget.

Hope this helps some one.

ECFoecking

Reaction score
This morning, I had ICS pushed to my phone. It has not fixed the "invalid credentials" error but there is an option in the settings that allows you to view certificates. Does anyone know if there is a correlation between what is kept in certificates and the credentials posted in the email accounts?

MaximusMax

Reaction score
Thanks for all the posts related to this topic here, this is a great active forum with great advice and follow up. For me, and I guess I am one of the lucky ones here, I am having only a problem with my Yahoo. It is not that big of a deal for me, because I have had that address for 10+ years and it is mostly ruined with spam anyway, so it's not a big deal. My gmail is pushed through, and it is the default account for the phone. It does not show up in the messaging folder, where I have the universal inbox which shows a warning triangle. Text messaging, facebook, hotmail with an @ symbol inside a stamp, then the yahoo account with another warning triangle, then a different hotmail account that we use for the family. This one has an orange envelope with a wavy line around it, and there IS a problem with that one. I'm not exactly sure what I did differently setting these two accounts up, but obviously something is different. I DO know that the working hotmail account was the second one I set up when I got the phone, right after the gmail account. I have found that my Comcast account had problems while using the messenger service, but I installed the Comcast app and linked that to our home account and it works fine. I can access my home cable account and watch movies, retrieve my voice mail and messages.

So I am only out my Yahoo, and the one family hotmail account which is so weird. I *think* I used the add account, then chose the "Hotmail" account and added it that way. I'm not sure how I added the one that still works, but I think it was different.

ECFoecking

Reaction score
I saw a post in another Forum that booting the phone into SAFE MODE will allow you to delete the accounts giving the "invalid credentials" errors.&nbsp; Once they are deleted, they can be re-added and should function correctly.&nbsp; I have not tried this yet so I cannot confirm it or not but wanted to share the information if anyone wants to try.&nbsp; Original comments found at the end of this post:<br>http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr/204065-gmail-invalid-credentials.html<br><br>I also found out SAFE MODE is done by holding the VOLUME UP and VOLUME DOWN buttons down while powering the phone on.

MaximusMax

Reaction score
I saw a post in another Forum that booting the phone into SAFE MODE will allow you to delete the accounts giving the "invalid credentials" errors.* Once they are deleted, they can be re-added and should function correctly.* I have not tried this yet so I cannot confirm it or not but wanted to share the information if anyone wants to try.* Original comments found at the end of this post:<br>http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr/204065-gmail-invalid-credentials.html<br><br>I also found out SAFE MODE is done by holding the VOLUME UP and VOLUME DOWN buttons down while powering the phone on.

So your saying to power down, boot in safe mode then delete offending accounts while in safe mode, then re-boot normally and then re-add the accounts and this will do what? They should then work, or you just got rid of them? Have you done this yet?