Intel Teases 48-Core Mobile Processors Coming in 5 to 10 Years

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Intel_395.jpeg

The biggest and beefiest mobile processors on phones right now are of the quad-core variety. They came up so fast, that it makes you wonder what the future holds. Could we see six-core or eight-core chips? How about a 48-core chip? Don't scoff. Apparently "Chipzilla" themselves, Intel is working on this right now and anticipate them coming to market sometime within the next five to ten years. Here's a quote with some additional info:

Intel is already visualizing that and it sees 48-core processors powering both smartphones and tablets. That's twelve times as many as there are in a high-end chip available today! Needless to say, having so many cores on a single piece of silicon would allow smartphones and tablets to handle CPU-intensive tasks with ease by splitting the workload. For example, if someone is watching a high-resolution video, each frame could be decoded by an individual core. Advanced tasks that currently require processing to be offloaded to a computer in the cloud will be performed offline. All the while, Intel promises that such chips will be energy efficient.

It's amazing to witness the near exponential growth of technology. Perhaps in 50-100 years we won't be able to tell the difference between a carbon-based brain and a silicon-based one.

Source: PhoneArena

drew96dawg

Reaction score
That's amazing! I have a basic laptop I use for browsing and other non intensive tasks and it has a 2.2ghz dualcore and 3gigs of ram. This is insane how fast phones are catching up to pcs

Sent from my DROID2 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I knew Intel would change the game...

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
drew96dawg said:
That's amazing! I have a basic laptop I use for browsing and other non intensive tasks and it has a 2.2ghz dualcore and 3gigs of ram. This is insane how fast phones are catching up to pcs

I believe PC's development monies are redistributed to the tablet and phone segment. PC's growth is slow at best now.

stillwaiting

Reaction score
I think phone manufacturers should work on bigger, better batteries before upgrading the processors much further.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
stillwaiting said:
I think phone manufacturers should work on bigger, better batteries before upgrading the processors much further.

I'll second that.

dfcfu342

Reaction score
I don't believe that these 48 core processors will be 48 times more powerful than a single core processor clock for clock. Each core will probably have the raw power that's only about 1/6 of what current cores have, but they make up for it with numbers. Think of graphics cards, they have 100's of cores but a cpu will beat it clock for clock on raw power. Intel is banking on mobile OS's to become multicore friendly and attack with several more low power cores. This could provide huge battery improvements while maintaining powerful processing. Imagine a hotplug governor that has 48 cores to activate and shutdown to provide precisely the muscle needed.

Smooth move Intel.

n0yxl

Reaction score
5-10 years is a long way out, especially for this industry. I should hope that these devices would offer stellar performance -in contrast to today's offerings.

tfly212

Reaction score
But think of how fast you could swipe between screens with a 48 core processor!!! That would be sooo worth the battery only lasting 3 hours...

52brandon

Reaction score
they're going to have to. By the time this chip is out, I would imagine LTE would be much further along and become a lot more battery intensive. But Intel doesn't do batteries, they can only progress with their products

Reaction score
4g lte will be a thing of the past 5g or some other mobile broadband will be the new thing to power these new devices

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums

52brandon

Reaction score
4g lte will be a thing of the past 5g or some other mobile broadband will be the new thing to power these new devices

maybe. But if I remember correctly, REAL 4G is 100Mb/s to 1Gb/s. So there's quite a ways until we surpass 4G

drew96dawg

Reaction score

Possibly, it takes about 10 years for a particular generation of data to run its course before something new(5g) comes out.

Reaction score
drew96dawg said:
Possibly, it takes about 10 years for a particular generation of data to run its course before something new(5g) comes out.

Yea that is true but who knows if Verizon will take on 4gVolt like sprint and metro pcs "T-Mobile " have

dfcfu342

Reaction score
52brandon said:
they're going to have to. By the time this chip is out, I would imagine LTE would be much further along and become a lot more battery intensive. But Intel doesn't do batteries, they can only progress with their products

You would think if LTE was much further along then it would be less battery intensive. They already have GPS receivers for phones coming to market next year that use half the power and lock on twice as fast. That's four times more power efficient than current generations in our phones.