"100-Core" Processor Optimized for Android 4.0, Coming from Ziilabs

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
ziilabs-zms-40.jpg

Before you have "brain-splode syndrome" from seeing a 100-core processor for Android 4.0 devices, keep in mind that those 100 cores are actually 96 Stem-Cell Programmable Media Processing Cores that are designed to work in tandem with the 4 primary cores of this new ZiiLabs ZMS-40 CPU. Technically it is really just a quad-core 1.5GHz ARM Cortex-A9; however, it can utilize all those "mini-cores" to offload multiple tasks from the primary cores, and is specifically optimized for Ice Cream Sandwich devices. The primary result/advantage of this design is that it will be twice as powerful, but utilize half the power of their current designs.

Supposedly we will see tablets at CES next week powered by this new tech. If their product lives up to their claims, then we could have a serious contender for the CPU market in Android devices for the future. You can read their full press release at the source link below for more details.

Source: Ziilabs Press Release for ZMS-40 "100-Core" Chip for Android 4.0 Devices

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
wowza....

I'm interested to see how this runs in some nice hardware.

mackiv

Reaction score
so is this gunna be the big twist in the google nexus tablet?

DaWolf85

Reaction score
I can just see the marketing now...

"The iPad 2 has 2 cores.
Our tablet has 100.
How do you like them apples?"

And next up: a processor with over 9000 cores! ;)

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
very cool interested to see what this baby is capable of ..

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
stem cell processor?

will it be able to replicate its own shakey's pizza?

Yeah... I wondered about that too, but that name is how it was originally reported. Makes you wonder if the next Android will be a biotech device, but it sounds like they are just borrowing the name for marketing purposes. Strange...

Reaction score
I think the processors available to android powered handsets are already good enough. How about we get some better GPUs to match?

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Or batteries that last longer. There isn't a task my phone can't complete right now. Only problem is how long it can last on single charge doing those task. We need a power source that will let the phones last at least 24 hours in their max power drain state.

lfylove

Reaction score
Yeah... I wondered about that too, but that name is how it was originally reported. Makes you wonder if the next Android will be a biotech device, but it sounds like they are just borrowing the name for marketing purposes. Strange...

Biotech........ anyone else thinking human centipad???

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums