Insurance Policy for VZW & Asurion

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
been debating if i want to keep the asurion. with the $89 deductible, it seems high. after having it for a yr anyways, you can buy the phone at non full price. probably the $199. so basically for $100 more, you get a brand new one. i dunno..i need to break down the math.

89 is excessive. Last year when I replaced my Omnia, it was 50.

$89 is cheap for this type of device. AT&T charged me $100 for my old (outdated) Tilt and I've heard that for newer Smartphones it's up to $125.

You gotta see that Asurion was making bank back when it was 50 for the deductible. Phones haven't really become more expensive over time. I recall even back when phones were still analog, they cost quite a bit. They aren't suddenly more costly now. If anything, they are less costly due to improved manufacturing technology.

So for them to raise the deductible to 89 is kind of harsh, but as nerdbox mentioned above, better than paying retail. Still irks me, but what can ya do? I'm one of those sorry saps that ends up using insurance because he breaks his phones :(

OP
nerdbox08

nerdbox08

Reaction score

$89 is cheap for this type of device. AT&T charged me $100 for my old (outdated) Tilt and I've heard that for newer Smartphones it's up to $125.

You gotta see that Asurion was making bank back when it was 50 for the deductible. Phones haven't really become more expensive over time. I recall even back when phones were still analog, they cost quite a bit. They aren't suddenly more costly now. If anything, they are less costly due to improved manufacturing technology.

So for them to raise the deductible to 89 is kind of harsh, but as nerdbox mentioned above, better than paying retail. Still irks me, but what can ya do? I'm one of those sorry saps that ends up using insurance because he breaks his phones :(

I'm right there with you. :icon_eek:

No matter how hard I try to keep it safe: cases, screen covers, locked vaults... I still manage to do damage.

dwagner88

Reaction score
I have had insurance on my line since 2005. When I went to upgrade my Droid, the Verizon rep said that I was grandfathered in to the cheaper insurance, even though I now have an advanced device. So I get replacements for $50.00 and only pay $4.99 a month!

OP
nerdbox08

nerdbox08

Reaction score
I have had insurance on my line since 2005. When I went to upgrade my Droid, the Verizon rep said that I was grandfathered in to the cheaper insurance, even though I now have an advanced device. So I get replacements for $50.00 and only pay $4.99 a month!

Okay, I think we have a lynching on our hands....

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Hmmmm, guess I better check my bill ;)

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score

They are making bank as well they should, they're a business (just like Gieco, State Farm, BCBS (should I go on?)...

As for the price, it is what it is. If you can't afford to pay it or think it's to high than this probably isn't the phone for you... People REALLY needs to learn between want and need.... it's fine to want this I did, that's why I got one. But there is realistically no-one that NEEDS this phone so it is a luxury item (and not really a good smartphone for business like a WM or BB). I knew the costs associated going in and accepted them and, more importantly can afford them. Had I not been able to afford it or not wanted to pay the $89 (realizing that I ALWAYS get a phone replaced via insurance at LEAST once before 2-yrs is up) than I wouldn't have gotten it. (Flaming to commence in 3, 2, 1....)

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Sounds like this is going to be one of those grey areas. I am paying what I have been paying for the last several years (so my monthly cost did not go up), but I called Verizon and the rep told me there is no grandfathering for the deductible.

That said, I did replace my Omnia after the price hike, and only paid 50 dollars.

I haven't called Asurion yet, and don't really want to start the process on a fake claim to see what they will charge me online ;)

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score

They are making bank as well they should, they're a business (just like Gieco, State Farm, BCBS (should I go on?)...

As for the price, it is what it is. If you can't afford to pay it or think it's to high than this probably isn't the phone for you... People REALLY needs to learn between want and need.... it's fine to want this I did, that's why I got one. But there is realistically no-one that NEEDS this phone so it is a luxury item (and not really a good smartphone for business like a WM or BB). I knew the costs associated going in and accepted them and, more importantly can afford them. Had I not been able to afford it or not wanted to pay the $89 (realizing that I ALWAYS get a phone replaced via insurance at LEAST once before 2-yrs is up) than I wouldn't have gotten it. (Flaming to commence in 3, 2, 1....)

So, because you can afford it, people should just bend over for price hikes and say, so be it?

Sorry, I am not that big of a pushover. I may accept it as it is, but I do NOT have to like it.

As for this phone not being as good for business as WM....I can't believe you actually lumped it in the same sentence with that pos OS.

orthocoder

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
My bill say 5.99 for 2 PDA phones and 7.99 for a dumb phone that was a NE2 purchased in October...wow, $89 to replace it...yeah, steep.

OP
nerdbox08

nerdbox08

Reaction score
My bill say 5.99 for 2 PDA phones and 7.99 for a dumb phone that was a NE2 purchased in October...wow, $89 to replace it...yeah, steep.

What is the 'dumb' phone?

By chance is it one of the 'smartphones' that required the $9.99 data package?

orthocoder

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

What is the 'dumb' phone?

By chance is it one of the 'smartphones' that required the $9.99 data package?
LG Versa-the bill states it's an "advanced device"-what a joke. I had the "browser" blocked, so I don't pay for a data plan for it. Basically, my son uses it to text like it's going out of style and he doesn't care about the crappy browser. He has an iTouch for that. (I hate Apple, but I caved in to progeny pressure).

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
They are classifying that as an advanced device?

Thats ludicrious. Have you tried fighting it?

orthocoder

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

I know-it's highway robbery...they claim that because it's browser capable, that makes it "advanced". I was happy enough to get everything blocked (VZNav and VCast). I only pay the 9.99 for the line and 7.99 for the insurance.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
So, because you can afford it, people should just bend over for price hikes and say, so be it?

Sorry, I am not that big of a pushover. I may accept it as it is, but I do NOT have to like it.

As for this phone not being as good for business as WM....I can't believe you actually lumped it in the same sentence with that pos OS.

If people don't like it they can not use the product. If enough people don't use it GUESS WHAT the policy/price will change. It's called market elasticity... the companies look at their numbers and find the balance of price and number of consumers willing to pay that price. Granted it's a bit skewed because of lack of competitive choice but the premise still holds. If enough people started to NOT get insurance than VZW and Asurion will adjust their price(s).

As for the WM and BB comment you sound as bad as iPhone/Apple fanboys. Just because you have not used one lately (or more likely not used one to their full potential) YES they are, for business purposes FAR superior to the Droid. The Android OS in it's current state is missing several components that is keeping it from be used as a business device for MANY people. And it's comments like yours that made Apple (and the iPhone) users so hated because of their 'holier than thou' attitude.

I know-it's highway robbery...they claim that because it's browser capable, that makes it "advanced". I was happy enough to get everything blocked (VZNav and VCast). I only pay the 9.99 for the line and 7.99 for the insurance.

COOL, I've been meaning to go by my local store and see about getting those blocked on my fiance's phone (she doesn't want/use them and on her phone it's FAR to easy to accidentally hit those buttons and launch the services).

Last edited:

orthocoder

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

If people don't like it they can not use the product. If enough people don't use it GUESS WHAT the policy/price will change. It's called market elasticity... the companies look at their numbers and find the balance of price and number of consumers willing to pay that price. Granted it's a bit skewed because of lack of competitive choice but the premise still holds. If enough people started to NOT get insurance than VZW and Asurion will adjust their price(s).

As for the WM and BB comment you sound as bad as iPhone/Apple fanboys. Just because you have not used one lately (or more likely not used one to their full potential) YES they are, for business purposes FAR superior to the Droid. The Android OS in it's current state is missing several components that is keeping it from be used as a business device for MANY people. And it's comments like yours that made Apple (and the iPhone) users so hated because of their 'holier than thou' attitude.

COOL, I've been meaning to go by my local store and see about getting those blocked on my fiance's phone (she doesn't want/use them and on her phone it's FAR to easy to accidentally hit those buttons and launch the services).
KZIWarrior-The store will tell you that they can't block it, but I spoke to a rep on the phone and she said that it was no problem. I asked why the store couldn't have just taken care of it and she said that she didn't know. SO, if you get the run around at the store, give customer service a call.