Informant app

Diordna

Reaction score
"Informant" turns your phone into a hidden eavesdropping device or "bug." Spy on anyone; start recording now, or schedule for later (never get busted "playing with your phone" at a meeting to start recording) with no visible indication while recording. Listen to and send (email) recordings.

$2.49 in market

Looks interesting, I want know peoples take on this. Just buy it now and it you don't want it refund it.

Darkseider

Reaction score
Looks like I will be spending $2.49 soon! This app would come in VERY handy for certain situations.

cruzincat

Reaction score
Don't use it in Maryland. Remember Linda Tripp? They just busted some kid who had a camera strapped to the top of his motorcycle helmet for recording the voice of the state tropper who pulled him over.

I was recording sound using Daily Roads, but after hearing the above, I turned it off.

DJTURNz

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but a PUBLIC OFFICIAL in the performance of his duty on the side of a PUBLIC STREET has no expectation of Privacy. Unless of course the Peoples Republik of Maryland has a state law that differs.

OP
Diordna

Diordna

Reaction score
Anyone try this out? I might and refund if it isn't all that, but want other people to try first lol :)

cruzincat

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but a PUBLIC OFFICIAL in the performance of his duty on the side of a PUBLIC STREET has no expectation of Privacy. Unless of course the Peoples Republik of Maryland has a state law that differs.

They actually do have a law that the other person has to know they are being recorded. The cop said the motorcyclist told him it wasn't recording sound.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is this what Jack Bauer used last night to get the confession from the Russian President who was talking to former President Logan?? :)

Darkseider

Reaction score

They actually do have a law that the other person has to know they are being recorded. The cop said the motorcyclist told him it wasn't recording sound.

It depends on the state as to what the law is. If it is a "one party" or single consent state, like NJ for instance, as long as you consent to recording yourself along with whomever it is legal. If it is a "two party" or dual consent state then the other party has to be notified of the recording.

DJTURNz

Reaction score

It depends on the state as to what the law is. If it is a "one party" or single consent state, like NJ for instance, as long as you consent to recording yourself along with whomever it is legal. If it is a "two party" or dual consent state then the other party has to be notified of the recording.
The way I see it, if the cop is recording the traffic stop from his dash cam, he has already given consent to be recorded.
Still it is in plain view on a public street, he has no expectation of privacy.
When the news cameras are on scene filming the police or firefighters for the 6 o'clock news, do you think they ask all of the officers to sign a release? No way.

Five-0

Reaction score

The way I see it, if the cop is recording the traffic stop from his dash cam, he has already given consent to be recorded.
Still it is in plain view on a public street, he has no expectation of privacy.
When the news cameras are on scene filming the police or firefighters for the 6 o'clock news, do you think they ask all of the officers to sign a release? No way.

Coming from a LEO point of view I completely agree. Everything I do in an official capacity is already recorded, and if you or I are in public we are allowed to be documented, period. Recordings of me have gotten me out of much bravo sierra. A recoding has yet to get me into any trouble. Film or record me all you want just do not interfere. If asked to back up, do so for your safety and mine is all I ask.

DJTURNz

Reaction score
Five-0, thanks for the insight. The topic of taping police has been discussed and argued at nauseum on other forums. Mainly gun forums and usually undert he topic of video taping a police encounter with a person legally open carrying a handgun.

I do not know the cercumstances of the motorcycle guy, but I still think that if they were in public, he can record the traffic stop and shouldn't really get in trouble for that. Of course I don;t know the state, ot that state's laws, but in PA, I don;t see how it would be a citable offense.

As a LEO, I try to do my job as if I am always on camera.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm tired of the topic as well, let's face it gang, IMO:

LEO's have to deal with lousy people most of the time, everyone thinks they are out to get them, treat them mean, etc.

I think some of them out there recording then try to begin an altercation with the expectation that they'll become famous. To those I think a special picture should be taken for use on the news, a mug shot at the jail if they indeed did so just for that reason.