Incredible internal speaker not working after Froyo/radio 2.x upgrade

g3p

Reaction score
I've seen posts about this problem pre-official release, but never a solution other than going back to radio 1.x and Android 2.1.

So here's the sequence of events:
1. Existing 2.1, rooted, stock ROM.
2. Get "official" release v3.21.605.1 (from [ROM] Incredible Sense/Froyo v3.21.605.1 *Official Release* (100% stock, rooted) - xda-developers
3. Upgrade, internal speaker not working
4. Attempt to revert to 2.1 and 1.x radio - no go. 2.1 loads, but can't get 1.x radio.

I do have S-OFF from unrevoked forever.

Has anybody run into this? Everything else works fine, but I am stuck on radio 2.x (see my sig). No method that I can find on the 'net has been successful in allowing a PB31IMG.zip with the old radio to downgrade the radio.

Thanks in advance :)

Oh, important note!!!
Previously, when I was successful at downgrading, I had clockworkmod 2.5.0.1. I had 2.5.0.5 when I did the above. I did try returning to .1, but same result.

Last edited:

Vorpals

Reaction score
I had this exact problem with the official pushed OTA update--once I updated, I couldn't hear anything from the internal speaker.

I updated successfully from S_off, stock recovery. After the update, I reinstalled ClockWorkMod Recovery and su.

After I realized I had the speaker problem, I tried to diagnose the problem. Was it specific to the HTC Froyo build? I downloaded the latest version of CyanogenMod 6.0.2 via ROM manager, did a full wipe, and installed that ROM. The internal speaker still did not work.

I did a full wipe and went back to RUU--Stock Android 2.1, stock HBoot, stock radio, stock recovery--using the instructions and file at How to downgrade back to 1.00 radio and .77 HBOOT for the OTA (S-OFF ONLY!!!) - xda-developers.

At this point, factory stock, my internal speaker DID function again.

I then installed the May 2010 OTA software update from Getting your phone ready for the FroYo update.zip! - xda-developers, in preparation for manually installing the Froyo OTA. After this, I was at software/build number 1.22.605.2 and the internal speaker still functioned.

Then I downloaded the official Froyo OTA update from Google's servers. (link: http://android.clients.google.com/p...on_WWE_3.21.605.1_1.22.605.2_release_sign.zip) and installed it (renamed to update.zip and installed from SD using recovery).

After this, the internal speaker ceased functioning again.

What did I learn?

A) For my device, at least, this is a Froyo problem, and persisted through two installs of the official Froyo update (the first actually received over-the-air) and one install of the Froyo-based CyanogenMod 6.0.2.

B) The problem IS reversible if you go back to Android 2.1.

C) I'm going to the Verizon store tomorrow. Goddamn it.

Last edited:
OP
G

g3p

Reaction score
Finally, this worked! I don't know why, as I am sure I had done this routine before. My guess in the myriad of "howto's" and reformatting and downgrades, it was the combination of doing this AFTER I reformatted the sdcard using a PC. I'm pretty sure I had tried this BEFORE I saw that step. If so, I can tell you now that the format utility on a Mac, though it says FAT, is not the FAT32 required.

Vorpals, I can't thank you enough!!!

Vorpals

Reaction score
Glad I could help! So what's your current situation? Are you back at 2.1 with internal speaker, or did you get your internal speaker working with Froyo? Because I still haven't gotten that to work.

OP
G

g3p

Reaction score
Back at 2.1 and hiding like a whipped dog. Every attempt I've made at Froyo hoses the internal speaker. As it happens, I work at a company that is involved in the stuff and and they are looking into this out of curiosity even though it's actually HTC's problem.

Vorpals

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat. Or rather, right now I'm at 2.2. with hosed internal speaker, S-ON, and Clockworkmod recovery. Just turned S-OFF back on so I can go BACK to factory 2.1, then back to stock 2.2 so I can take it to Verizon and complain.

At this point I don't know if I'd rather have a fully-working Incredible running 2.1, or get it replaced with a working 2.2 incredible that might not have the AMOLED screen.

Vorpals

Reaction score
I've seen it; one of my coworkers has it. It's not as rich. The AMOLEDs are a little redder and color rich, while the LCD screen looks more like every other device's LCD screen: a little brighter, maybe, but that's because the whites and blues are brighter.

OP
G

g3p

Reaction score
I've seen it; one of my coworkers has it. It's not as rich. The AMOLEDs are a little redder and color rich, while the LCD screen looks more like every other device's LCD screen: a little brighter, maybe, but that's because the whites and blues are brighter.

Meh, I'll deal with it. If I have to choose between being stuck on a whack radio version or getting a replacement and being able to do future upgrades, I'll take the latter

howdy

Reaction score
hey there, just to let people that are having this problem know there are others with the same issue. I'm looking for a fix since Verizon won't take the phone back.. I searched all over the internet and there are many others that immediately figured this to be a hardware issue and returned their phones.

I wiped everything and tried different versions of rooting along with radio install many, many times.. manual root, etc. Every time I go to 2.15 radio it loses the internal speaker (speakerphone still works).

Is it possible it is a hardware difference in these particular phones that doesn't work with Froyo? Or something hard coded? It should have worked by now if it was only missing files or from an improper install. I really have nothing else left to try, I started from scratch using every different combination of methods I have found and no luck re-downloaded all files, reformatted my card, etc. 3 days wasted on this, p@sssssd.

2.2 + Root: No audio from internal speaker on phone - Android Forums

howdy

Reaction score
gave up, just put in pre-order for samsung fascinate.. frustrating..

OP
G

g3p

Reaction score
The hardware version(s) in your Incredible are never going to let you upgrade to 2.2 unless HTC decides to go back and fix it. Unlikely, as this seems to be a very limited run of phones (I apparently have this version too). I've got a replacement on it's way and hopefully it won't suffer the maladies.

Hope the fascinate works out for you. :)