Incredible 2 Stuck on /!\ screen

Reaction score
Yesterday, my girlfriends Droid Incredible 2 asked to install an update, I declined. It is rooted with CWR installed but on the stock ROM.

So now she's at home and she sent me a picture of her phone at the /!\ screen. Which I thought meant she was in recovery, and that recovery shouldn't even be there since the phone had CWR installed.

So what happened? Did the phone automatically update over night?

Thanks

Raven6906

Reaction score
Is there a little blue Droid with the /!\ on the screen? Mine just randomly went to that screen while at work. Had to do a factory reset through car

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums

Raven6906

Reaction score
I never saw the OTA update screen pop up at all. It just vibrated in my pocket and when I looked at it it was on this screen. Kinda strange that I never was allowed to say no to this and it just tried to push it.

OP
skatingrocker17
Reaction score
I guess she managed to get to into clockwork and restore the backup that I made yesterday. And it was the /!\ with the green android guy, the stock recovery I think.

I'm actually pretty shocked she figured it out but also pretty happy that I don't have to fix it.

Thanks guys.

Raven6906

Reaction score
If its rooted you can block the updating by changing otacerts.zip to otacerts.bak that prevents it from updating at all

OP
skatingrocker17
Reaction score
If its rooted you can block the updating by changing otacerts.zip to otacerts.bak that prevents it from updating at all

Thanks, I'd tell her to search for the file in Root Explorer and do that but I'll just do it when I see her or just put Cyanogenmod on there or something.

acrididae

Reaction score

Raven6906, where may I find that file? I've searched using File Explorer and with my Macbook's Finder without success.

Raven6906

Reaction score
That file will be located in /system/etc/security

acrididae

Reaction score
OTA Update Showed Up Again Last Night

I renamed the file to otacerts.bak, and for a couple of weeks hadn't had a nudge from Verizon. Last evening however, an OTA firmware update showed up. I scheduled it out as far as I could, but it will install on 10/12 unless I figure out how to prevent it. Any ideas? I wish that cyanogenmod was ready for prime time on the Dinc2.

acrididae

Reaction score
you also have to freeze com.smithmicro.dm using any root app that can freeze apps. (Titanium Backup, Bloatfreezer, etc.)

Great. Will do.

Will freezing com.smithmicro.dm prevent the update scheduled to install on Wednesday? Should I restore from Clockwork, freeze com.smithmicro.dm, and rename otacerts, or will freezing com.smithmicro.dm prevent the scheduled update?

Thanks!

Raven6906

Reaction score
I got the same thing qnd when it went to updqte it told me it failed and would not update. Havent had any problems yet

acrididae

Reaction score
Thanks to you both. I'll just see what happens on Wednesday then.

Klabit87, what mod are you running on your Dinc2?

Raven6906

Reaction score
I have also removed bloatware so that could be why it didnt update too. If you remove the verizon apps be sure to make backups just in case you decide to update or something happens and you send it back to verizon