If my eris gets any more laggy...

Bigwidge

Reaction score
I love the eris, its a great phone, and even though i bought it for the apps, i still expected it to handle text messaging just as good as my old phone (boulder). But it seems like if im texting multiple people the phone cant handle it and starts freezing up and lagging uncontrollably. When this happens i can literally press the letter "h", wait 5 seconds, and watch it finally appear on the screen. This lag is getting under my skin and just makes me want to throw my phone against the wall sometimes. Anybody have any ideas on what could be causing this and/or how to fix it? I wonder in 2.x will make this lagginess go away.....maybe by using some of the eris's functions in a better way, causing it to work faster?

divalibra

Reaction score
I have never experienced lagging while texting only when trying to use the phone dialer, which is annoying as well. Are you using any specific apps for texting?

mhotovec

Reaction score
Regularly (which for me is once a week or so, others I know do it daily) clearing the cache on your applications may help reduce the lag.

OP
B

Bigwidge

Reaction score
How do I clear cache of my apps? And i used to use handcent but it lagged so must now I use the stock app but it force closes so much its rediculous

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
How do I clear cache of my apps? And i used to use handcent but it lagged so must now I use the stock app but it force closes so much its rediculous

Have you tried simply resetting your phone? I don't have an eris, but when my moto droid lags this clears everything up. I also clean my internet cache and cookies from time to time.

mhotovec

Reaction score

menu > settings > applications > manage applications
That screne will take several seconds to completely load. Once you see numbers where it originally says 'computing' press menu then sort by size. That will put the apps that are taking the most space at the top. Enter each app individually and press the Clear Cache button. Note that there is also a Clear Data button, leave that one alone - it holds settings and such that you probably don't want to loose.

Personally I only clear the cache of programs that show over 1mb in size. Below that point I figure it doesn't really make a difference.

Since you don't know how to clear the cache, that would indicate that you've never done this. I suspect that you'll find a BIG difference in how your phone responds after you've done this. Let me know pls.

OP
B

Bigwidge

Reaction score
okay thanks alot for that, i just cleared the cache on the top apps, there was a few with about 5-9 mb of cache, so i just that was good to clear. but the stock sms seems to still be lagging severely...... as im typing this im watching the screen say "please wait" as i am trying to send a text.... this has been on for about 45 seconds now..... and it just freezes up so much its disturbing.. maybe i should consider going to verizon about this?

OP
B

Bigwidge

Reaction score
ive tried pulling the battery and resetting the phone multiple times, and the messenger seems to still get caught up.... the phone itself isnt that laggy but my main issue is with the messaging. especially when i text multiple people at once, but sometimes its so bad even texting a single person doesnt work right. that message is still trying to send... going on 6 minutes now

OP
B

Bigwidge

Reaction score
so i did some research and relized the problem wasnt really with the apps, but more the issue of me having too many messages, thanks all who tried to help me, google is your friend lol. Im working on deleting my messages now, ill let you guys know if it helps

WRXtra

Reaction score
so i did some research and relized the problem wasnt really with the apps, but more the issue of me having too many messages, thanks all who tried to help me, google is your friend lol. Im working on deleting my messages now, ill let you guys know if it helps

Yes please post up what deleting the messages does weather or not it helps cause I have the exact same problem as you. It's very laggy and registers long touches all the time so instead of letters its numbers and symbols, and also FC's all the time. I'm a heavy texter, about 6-7 thousand a month and I only delete threads of people I don't text very often so if this helps id like to know.

But I have this problem everytime I use the keyboard on anything so Im wondering if its something with the keyboard system

Also I'm useing the stock messaging

oopslolz

Reaction score

Yes please post up what deleting the messages does weather or not it helps cause I have the exact same problem as you. It's very laggy and registers long touches all the time so instead of letters its numbers and symbols, and also FC's all the time. I'm a heavy texter, about 6-7 thousand a month and I only delete threads of people I don't text very often so if this helps id like to know.

But I have this problem everytime I use the keyboard on anything so Im wondering if its something with the keyboard system

That is an exuberant amount of texts a month. Frankly rather retarded, but none the less, just get into the habit of clearing your texts once a day its really not a big deal to start a new thread and could probably be done in the time it takes to load all of your messages for indexing which is whats causing the lag in the first place.

Cheers

WRXtra

Reaction score

That is an exuberant amount of texts a month. Frankly rather retarded, but none the less, just get into the habit of clearing your texts once a day its really not a big deal to start a new thread and could probably be done in the time it takes to load all of your messages for indexing which is whats causing the lag in the first place.

Cheers

If its a retarded amount or not is a matter of personal opinion. My messages load just fine even on a thread that's pushing 4k and they send just fine. I really don't think the problem is with the amount of texts I have because like I said it dosent matter where I use the keyboard the result is the same if its in a text or google search or posting on a internet forums board, its not like it loads my text messages every time I use the keyboard, but then again I don't know hence why I'm also asking for help, so thanks and I look forward to more input

OP
B

Bigwidge

Reaction score
yeah dude i text alot too and it fixed EVERY issue i had.... my phone is so much faster now, no more force closing, and its not taking 10 years to type "hey", i did realize the phone with that many messages wont let you delete them, i guess its too much for the phone to handle, so your going to have to download an app for it. I used an app called "delete old messages", and it did just that. I had to let my phone sit overnight while it deleted, but 8 hours later it finally erased all of them and my phone was flying once again. hope this helps :reddroid:

WRXtra

Reaction score
Awesome thanks for the update looks like im gonna have to do the same thing tonight cause I have several threads that are around 4k so I'm sure it will take awhile to delete them all.

Is there anything out there that will auto delete texts after they get so old, my old phone had it as an option and just wondering if I could get it for this phone.

Thanks again