ICS on the Thunderbolt?

drew

Reaction score
Not that I'm aware of. There was a great guide on ADB which would give you some background, but the bookmark I have is dated.

Here's the problem: In older phones, there was a software only update that used an exploit (loophole) to obtain root access. There were a lot of cool one-click rooting apps that didn't wipe your phone. Fast forward to more recent phones where the "bootloaders" are locked. In our case, we had to flash a new bootloader (Revolutionary) to obtain S-OFF, and then the recovery, and then the rooted ROM image. It got complicated / geeky in a big hurry. It also made returning to stock more complicated as well. I don't know if anyone bricked their phone using Revolutionary. I know many people used it successfully. A lot more information can be found at thunderboltforums.com (a sister site), and xda developers. I understand the fragmentation, but I think if you find the ADB guide it might help fill in some of the blanks.

There was a YouTube video I followed to root my phone (I rooted two TB's using this method): [video=youtube;-UK_CiB2SYk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UK_CiB2SYk[/video]

Is there a book about rooting. I'm only getting fragmentary information with no step by step process I certainly don't want to brick my TB.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Atook

Reaction score
There's an ICS build out for the bolt now, but video camera and more importantly, mobile data aren't working.

If HTC actually does release ICS for the bolt I'm sure we'll see CM9 ported over, it's the drivers for the LTE radio that are proving a problem.

4shlr

Reaction score
This is the video I used to root my Bolt, not too complicated once you get the downgrade software to 2.11.605.5. Really pretty easy after that, just follow the video.

Not that I'm aware of. There was a great guide on ADB which would give you some background, but the bookmark I have is dated.

Here's the problem: In older phones, there was a software only update that used an exploit (loophole) to obtain root access. There were a lot of cool one-click rooting apps that didn't wipe your phone. Fast forward to more recent phones where the "bootloaders" are locked. In our case, we had to flash a new bootloader (Revolutionary) to obtain S-OFF, and then the recovery, and then the rooted ROM image. It got complicated / geeky in a big hurry. It also made returning to stock more complicated as well. I don't know if anyone bricked their phone using Revolutionary. I know many people used it successfully. A lot more information can be found at thunderboltforums.com (a sister site), and xda developers. I understand the fragmentation, but I think if you find the ADB guide it might help fill in some of the blanks.

There was a YouTube video I followed to root my phone (I rooted two TB's using this method): [video=youtube;-UK_CiB2SYk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UK_CiB2SYk[/video]

Rhino94

Reaction score
So that probably means if there is a build for it and it is just missing some components. At least it sounds like they are getting close to an update for the thunderbolt. Possibly in May or June more likely in June. HTC's philosophy is don't rush it, make it perfect. Not saying any of our latest updates have been bug free but HTC does usually do a pretty good job with the updates.

drew

Reaction score
It seems to me with the Thunderbolt, their philosophy was much MUCH different than their execution. This is my first HTC phone, and I'm going to think long and hard before I pick up another HTC phone. I'm hoping it is just a matter of the 4G radios that need to be updated, and then we'll be in business.

So that probably means if there is a build for it and it is just missing some components. At least it sounds like they are getting close to an update for the thunderbolt. Possibly in May or June more likely in June. HTC's philosophy is don't rush it, make it perfect. Not saying any of our latest updates have been bug free but HTC does usually do a pretty good job with the updates.

Atook

Reaction score
It seems to me with the Thunderbolt, their philosophy was much MUCH different than their execution. ...

I disagree, ICS was barely a twinkle in Google's eye when the bolt was released. The bolt has had a few upgrades in GB, and is easy to root. My rooted TB is running Sense 3.5, and it's possible HTC will release an ICS ROM further down the road. HTC is providing root for their latest phones (Rezound), has fantastic cameras, and great services that tie into their phones. Verizon removes the software, but since I'm rooted, I can locate or lock my phone from my computer at HTCsense.com

The only thing I can see wrong with the current crop of HTC phones right now is a lack of kickstand. :happy3:

HTC is on my shortlist when my next upgrade comes around.

2001400ex

Reaction score

Just to verify, does this downgrade the version of android? Or keep everything exactly the same like the one click methods?

I want to root to OC and run wireless tether, but not install roms and such.

drew

Reaction score
My point of view didn't take ICS into account at all. In fact, I'm very curious as to how the ICS upgrades are going to go for HTC. From my perspective, HTC didn't handle updates all that well for Gingerbread. There were updates that were provided for our phones that caused bootloops. It was a big mess there for awhile until they got it straightened out. The battery design was shortsighted. The USB port is in the dumbest place ever (in relation to the kickstand). The phone feels rushed.

Don't get me wrong, I love my TB, and I'm rooted as well.

HTC is providing root for the ReZound? Or just a way to unlock the bootloader? I thought it was the latter.

I'm not saying HTC doesn't provide great features, but when the time comes to upgrade, I'll be looking very closely at Samsung, or going back to Motorola after I see what influence the Google purchase has.

That's the beauty of Android. If you don't like one manufacturer, there are 6 others to choose from. If you don't like Apple hardware, you are SOL.

I disagree, ICS was barely a twinkle in Google's eye when the bolt was released. The bolt has had a few upgrades in GB, and is easy to root. My rooted TB is running Sense 3.5, and it's possible HTC will release an ICS ROM further down the road. HTC is providing root for their latest phones (Rezound), has fantastic cameras, and great services that tie into their phones. Verizon removes the software, but since I'm rooted, I can locate or lock my phone from my computer at HTCsense.com

The only thing I can see wrong with the current crop of HTC phones right now is a lack of kickstand. :happy3:

HTC is on my shortlist when my next upgrade comes around.

sonicanatidae

Reaction score
Is there a book about rooting. I'm only getting fragmentary information with no step by step process I certainly don't want to brick my TB.

If you are simply interested in rooting, I suggest: http://revolutionary.io/

Most of the manual roots are outdated at this time from what I'm seeing.
The posts generally point towards one of the 1-clicks.
If you're interested in pursuing them, I'd suggest XDAForums.
Thunderbolt Android Development - xda-developers

4shlr

Reaction score
No, it only downgrades a few features, ie the radio... But it is still GB, it's worth it

Just to verify, does this downgrade the version of android? Or keep everything exactly the same like the one click methods?

I want to root to OC and run wireless tether, but not install roms and such.

ANDR0lD

Reaction score
Htc has plans after all to give the TB ICS, will be awhile though. Some devs have gotten alphas working but cannot get mobile data or calling/sms/mms which is the problem. I'm sure we will see AOSP ROMs with 4.0.2 from leaked sources before we ever see an HTC Sense ICS ROM.

sent from my Zeus 'Bolt

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Agreed! The developers will have ICS (AOSP and Sense) working and available long before HTC rolls out the OTAs...just like they did with GB. And they will likely be more stable than the OTA versions too. Again, just like with GB.

Sent from my Untouchable TB using Xparent Red Tapatalk

sonicanatidae

Reaction score
If anyone is twitching for an ICS ROM, I suggest Liquid Smooth 3.2 for T-Bolt.
While its built on the GB platform, it has the look/feel of ICS. Lots of work
by the Liquid Devs in skinning/themeing/tweaking the ROM to look and feel
a great deal like ICS.

I want ICS too, but Liquid 3.2 has kept the monkey off my back so far.. :p

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'll put in a vote for Thundershed.

sent from my bolt