ICS on the Thunderbolt?

Discussion in 'HTC ThunderBolt' started by ctdroid1, Jan 19, 2012.

1. pc747

pc747 Regular Member
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +7,409
    HTC Thunderbolt Rescue Squad

If you need any help with rooting your tbolt you can get one on one help there ^ . Drew thanks for helping the guy out with info about rooting.

2. bilbobaggins

bilbobaggins Member

Ratings:
    +0
  3. sonicanatidae

sonicanatidae Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No one minds scrolling thru 2 pages of off-topic chatter so you don't have to bookmark a different link..
    We're here to serve you..

4. sonicanatidae

sonicanatidae Member

Ratings:
    +0
  5. 4shlr

4shlr Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Did not know about this, thanks!!

Thanks again Drew

6. Losman

Losman Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Is there a book about rooting. I'm only getting fragmentary information with no step by step process I certainly don't want to brick my TB.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

7. drew

drew Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Not that I'm aware of. There was a great guide on ADB which would give you some background, but the bookmark I have is dated.

Here's the problem: In older phones, there was a software only update that used an exploit (loophole) to obtain root access. There were a lot of cool one-click rooting apps that didn't wipe your phone. Fast forward to more recent phones where the "bootloaders" are locked. In our case, we had to flash a new bootloader (Revolutionary) to obtain S-OFF, and then the recovery, and then the rooted ROM image. It got complicated / geeky in a big hurry. It also made returning to stock more complicated as well. I don't know if anyone bricked their phone using Revolutionary. I know many people used it successfully. A lot more information can be found at thunderboltforums.com (a sister site), and xda developers. I understand the fragmentation, but I think if you find the ADB guide it might help fill in some of the blanks.

There was a YouTube video I followed to root my phone (I rooted two TB's using this method):

8. Atook

Atook Member

Ratings:
    +0
    There's an ICS build out for the bolt now, but video camera and more importantly, mobile data aren't working.

If HTC actually does release ICS for the bolt I'm sure we'll see CM9 ported over, it's the drivers for the LTE radio that are proving a problem.

9. 4shlr

4shlr Member

Ratings:
    +1
    This is the video I used to root my Bolt, not too complicated once you get the downgrade software to 2.11.605.5. Really pretty easy after that, just follow the video.

10. Rhino94

Rhino94 Member

Ratings:
    +13
    So that probably means if there is a build for it and it is just missing some components. At least it sounds like they are getting close to an update for the thunderbolt. Possibly in May or June more likely in June. HTC's philosophy is don't rush it, make it perfect. Not saying any of our latest updates have been bug free but HTC does usually do a pretty good job with the updates.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

11. drew

drew Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It seems to me with the Thunderbolt, their philosophy was much MUCH different than their execution. This is my first HTC phone, and I'm going to think long and hard before I pick up another HTC phone. I'm hoping it is just a matter of the 4G radios that need to be updated, and then we'll be in business.

12. Atook

Atook Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I disagree, ICS was barely a twinkle in Google's eye when the bolt was released. The bolt has had a few upgrades in GB, and is easy to root. My rooted TB is running Sense 3.5, and it's possible HTC will release an ICS ROM further down the road. HTC is providing root for their latest phones (Rezound), has fantastic cameras, and great services that tie into their phones. Verizon removes the software, but since I'm rooted, I can locate or lock my phone from my computer at HTCsense.com

The only thing I can see wrong with the current crop of HTC phones right now is a lack of kickstand. :happy3:

HTC is on my shortlist when my next upgrade comes around.

Search tags for this page

cyanogenmod thunderbolt ics