I want to update my droid but I forgotten how!

halkun

Reaction score
Hi there,
Once upon a time a (few?) years ago I rooted my droid to Bugless Beast 0.9, and now I would liek to update it again, but I have compleatly forgotten how to get into the pre-boot menu to run update.zip. I rememeber I had to push the camera button and volume at the same time or something. I don't remember the name of the pre-boot thing. I do rememeber it had a little green android on it. Can someone help out?

WHen I try and reboot and press the camera and volume and all I get is.

Bootloader 2C.6C
Battery OK
OK to Program
Connect USB
Data Cable

nbucko

Reaction score
I think you're trying to get into recovery to flash a new rom. Make sure you have your rom downloaded, named update.zip and on the root of your SD card. Then power down your phone, slide the keyboard open and hold x down while you turn it on until the Motorola logo comes up. That should get You into recovery.

Please, please, please make a backup before you do anything in case something goes wrong.

Sent from my DROID using DroidForums

OP
H

halkun

Reaction score
I think you're trying to get into recovery to flash a new rom. Make sure you have your rom downloaded, named update.zip and on the root of your SD card. Then power down your phone, slide the keyboard open and hold x down while you turn it on until the Motorola logo comes up. That should get You into recovery.

Please, please, please make a backup before you do anything in case something goes wrong.

There's the little bugger SPRecovery by SirPsycoS (0.99.3)

Tas

Reaction score
I'm going through the same process and I hope I did it right. I already flashed a new rom. Gingerbread 2.3.7 / GPA19. Correct me if I'm wrong but I just downloaded rom manager. Moved the rom file to SD card and started rom manager and selected pick file from SD card. It worked like a charm.

Second of all, I noticed how slow it was for original Droid. Much more stable that what is was doing before it, but slow.
I read it doesn't work as well cause original Droid is best on Froyo from what I read. Any suggestions of a good clean stable rom till G-Nex comes out?
Thx.

Tas

nbucko

Reaction score
I'm going through the same process and I hope I did it right. I already flashed a new rom. Gingerbread 2.3.7 / GPA19. Correct me if I'm wrong but I just downloaded rom manager. Moved the rom file to SD card and started rom manager and selected pick file from SD card. It worked like a charm.

Second of all, I noticed how slow it was for original Droid. Much more stable that what is was doing before it, but slow.
I read it doesn't work as well cause original Droid is best on Froyo from what I read. Any suggestions of a good clean stable rom till G-Nex comes out?
Thx.

Tas

I don't have any experience with rom manager so I do it the old school manual way I described above.

second, yes gingerbread is technically a bit much for the og but a lot of roms have been designed to minimize this. If you prefer to stick with froyo I can say that project elite 4.2 ran well for me. If you want gingerbread project elite 6.5 (I think that's the latest) is good. Right now I'm running liquid 3.0 which is gingerbread and its really quick. Liquid 3.1 is out but I haven't tried it.

I wouldn't shy away from gingerbread. Just do some reading and you'll find something you like.

Tas

Reaction score
I don't have any experience with rom manager so I do it the old school manual way I described above.

second, yes gingerbread is technically a bit much for the og but a lot of roms have been designed to minimize this. If you prefer to stick with froyo I can say that project elite 4.2 ran well for me. If you want gingerbread project elite 6.5 (I think that's the latest) is good. Right now I'm running liquid 3.0 which is gingerbread and its really quick. Liquid 3.1 is out but I haven't tried it.

I wouldn't shy away from gingerbread. Just do some reading and you'll find something you like.

Thx for your reply. Will definitely got liquid a try.

Solving the worlds problems one at a time. Currently I am way behind.