I want to restart, reformat SD card

Mecham56

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

My phone has been going really slow lately. Icons take forever to show up when exiting a phone call or app, things just lag. I decided to erase all the apps that I don't use frequently, and got rid of (at least I thought I did) a lot of space on the SD card. That is, I deleted large files, music, videos etc. But the SD card storage amount didn't change.

Basically, what I want to do is wipe everything off the phone and SD card and start over, fresh.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a nice and easy way to do that so I can get started back up again and root that sucker one more time and get the speed I once had at the initial root?

Thanks!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

My phone has been going really slow lately. Icons take forever to show up when exiting a phone call or app, things just lag. I decided to erase all the apps that I don't use frequently, and got rid of (at least I thought I did) a lot of space on the SD card. That is, I deleted large files, music, videos etc. But the SD card storage amount didn't change.

Basically, what I want to do is wipe everything off the phone and SD card and start over, fresh.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a nice and easy way to do that so I can get started back up again and root that sucker one more time and get the speed I once had at the initial root?

Thanks!

Do a factory data reset (settings/privacy/factory data reset). That won't clean up your SD card but I don't believe it's necessary for you to format your SD card.

If you insist on formatting your SD card then just select SD Card out of the settings. I believe you will have to unmount it to get the format sd card to light up. When you've done that you can format the SD card.

I wouldn't do that though if I were you.

OP
M

Mecham56

Reaction score
So, will just a factory reset speed up the phone? I guess that's all I'm really looking for. I thought having a lot of crap on the SD card would do somethings to slow it down too.

I am running launcher pro, and I have my processor over clocked to 1.1ghz and I'm using Cyanogen 6

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
So, will just a factory reset speed up the phone? I guess that's all I'm really looking for. I thought having a lot of crap on the SD card would do somethings to slow it down too.

I am running launcher pro, and I have my processor over clocked to 1.1ghz and I'm using Cyanogen 6

Factory data reset will clear everything. out, including your launcher. But yes, if you're running slow that should help it. If it doesn't do a wipe/clean cache and maybe try another ROM. Or don't use a custom ROM at all.

_jroid

Reaction score
I was wondering close to the same thing. I have a lot of crap on my SD, and I know i dont need all of it. How do I clean it out? What shouldnt I delete, or whatever.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
So, will just a factory reset speed up the phone?
Depends on what's slowing it down but odds are that it will -- much like formatting your PC and performing a clean load.

I thought having a lot of crap on the SD card would do somethings to slow it down too.
Only if something (or several somethings) are constantly accessing the SD card. It's not like a PC hard drive which slows down as it fills up.