I used to love my Droid, BUT

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Welcome, Paul! I'm well over 50 and I would be delighted to help you.

Mike

My Droid (2.2) frequently (once or twice day or more) locks up and I have to force close something. At least once a day it locks up and eventually just reboots. I have had multiple apps just disappear at once.

When you want to switch apps try this press the Home soft key This will open the last eight apps that you accessed. Press the app you want.

I didn't seem to have this much trouble when I was using a manual task manager. I read on a forum similar to this that the Android operating system manages tasks automatically and using a task manager may make things worse. I don't know. That feature of the operating system may have to be properly written into the code by the programmer but it’s frequently not.

The Android OS is designed to manage tasks and it does an excellent job. Therefore, there is no need to use any task killer. Here is a link that may help http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-applications/65483-task-killers-answer-google-developers.html

The apps that I have the most trouble with are the free ones. But a few built in apps (Care Home for one) lock up as well. I may start buying more apps and stay away from the “free” stuff. If someone has the nerve to charge me money then maybe they had the integrity and ability to fully test their application before releasing it to market. The old adage “you get what you pay for” seems appropriate here.

I have close to 70 apps installed. Some free and some paid. I've not experienced any issues. Perhaps I've been lucky.

I have a problem with Verizon and Google selling the Android operating system as a commercial product when it is not. Whether it's the fault of the programmers not being skilled enough to write good code or it's the flaw of the operating system itself is irrelevant. Most apps are too buggy and I waste too much time simply getting my Droid to just plain work.

Sorry for the long-winded complaint, but I'm getting frustrated. I don't have trouble with my home-built PC running Vista. I shouldn't have trouble with a "smart" phone.

Agree!
Paul

I suggest that you try to get your phone stable so I would try:
First remove the task killer.
If you have a launcher remover it
If you have an anti virus app remove it
Remove the apps that you use the least
Keep your email trash and junk folders as lean as possible

Hopefully, this will stabilize your phone. If so, then begin re adding the apps.
Install one and see how the phone reacts.

As already mentioned you can do a reset. Additionally, you can install a cache cleaner.

Hope this is helpful.

Mike

cmsaudio

Reaction score
I used to experience similar problems with my moto droid. At least with the locking up. After going through my apps and uninstalling close to everything, I began reinstalling the ones i actually DID use and my phone's performance improved greatly. Some of the installed apps were questionable and I think that might have had something to do with it.
Th downside of some free apps is that the developers aren't as inclined to fix bugs as timely as paid ones are. This isn't always the case though, I've got some great, extremely useful free apps on my phone.

I think if you follow the steps Mike has given you, you will be much happier with your Droid!