I need some help before installing a ROM...

cadre.9

Reaction score
Hi. I was able to root my DX using Petes Motorola Root Tools. I want to install a ROM but I've read that it's important to back everything up first. Therein lies my problem. I've downloaded Titanium Backup. I understand I also need Droid 2 bootstrap and RSDLite installed in order to do a Nandroid backup. I've read so many instructions and tutorials my brain is beginning to bleed. Each thing I read says something slightly different from what I read before or uses terms and phrases that I have to stop and google before I can continue. Surprisingly there seems to be no single source that clearly explains this process.

Anyway, I downloaded the Droid 2 Bootstrap (bootstrap-1.0.0.5-droid2.apk) from Motorola Droid X: Full Update Guide - CyanogenMod Wiki.

The instructions are:

"Copy the Droid 2 Recovery Bootstrap to the same folder as adb (the /platform-tools folder within the Android SDK folder).
Connect the Motorola Droid X to the computer via USB.
On the computer, open terminal and run the following command: adb push bootstrap-1.0.0.5-droid2.apk /system/app/

The Droid 2 Recovery Bootstrap with the ClockworkMod Recovery should now be installed on the Motorola Droid X."

Those instructions assume the reader has an Android SDK folder, which I couldn't find, so I googled that. At this location (Howto: Install the Android SDK - CyanogenMod Wiki) I found a 27-step process for installing the SDK.

Am I correct in assuming that once I install and run this SDK, then I can load the RSDLite and the Droid 2 Recovery Bootstrap, then I can back up my phone, then I can load a ROM? (Whew!!)

I appreciate any guidance.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
You don't actually need rsd lite to do a back up. It is something you need to recover your phone if something goes wrong. So it is important to have set up ans make sure it recognizes your phone.

And the bootstrap you can download off the market as you wouldn't need sdk to flash it at that point.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
To make a nandroid, all you need is the D2 Bootstrap app. Hit bootstrap recovery and it will say "Success!" Then hit reboot recovery. When you get to the Clockwork Recovery screen, use the volume buttons to highlight backup and restore and the camera button to select it. Then select backup.

Your phone will make a nandroid backup aand save it to your SD.

To flash a ROM, make sure you have the ROM downloaded and on your SD Card. Use bootstrap to boot into Clockwork Recovery and select wipe data. Then go to advanced and wipe dalvik cache. Now, select install zip from SD Card. Then select choose zip. Find the ROM file and select it. It will install the ROM and then just reboot.

X

OP
cadre.9

cadre.9

Reaction score
Thank you both for replying.

I purchased the Droid 2 Bootstrap app from the Market. There was a warning not to use it unless I'm comfortable doing an SBF, which I've never done. So off I went to read various tutorials on how to SBF the Droid X (how do you guys remember all this stuff??).

I haven't downloaded an SBF for Gingerbread yet. Would you recommend I learn how to do that before trying to run the Bootstrap app?

Forgive me if I'm being overly cautious, I'd just hate to mess up my phone.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
You are not being overly cautious at all. It is a great idea to know how to SBF before you dive into heavy Modding. Having to learn how to do it when there is an issue is much harder to do and considerably more stressful.

I always recommend people get rsd set up and make sure it sees the phone before going too far.

Sent From the Land Before Time...

OP
cadre.9

cadre.9

Reaction score
JSM9872, I can't tell you how much I appreciate you taking the time to help. I'm still muddling through but I'm confident I'll get there.

I've downloaded the latest version of RSD Lite (4.9) but I'm having trouble with the SBF download. All the links I've tried take me to the same Multiupload.com site where I get all kinds of warnings popping up. Is there some place else I can get the file?

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
First of all I am very happy to help out whenever I can :D

And the multi upload thing may be a challenge. When I get to my computer I will try and see if I can dig up a good link for you.

Nemo Aeternamn

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
JI've downloaded the latest version of RSD Lite (4.9) but I'm having trouble with the SBF download. All the links I've tried take me to the same Multiupload.com site where I get all kinds of warnings popping up. Is there some place else I can get the file?

1KDS had a site hosting the sbf files... I don't have a link on me right now...

Post script: here it ishttp://sites.google.com/site/1kdsdroidx/

We have nothing to fear but running out of beer

Last edited:

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Yeah that's the one I was going to try and get. Thanks nemo.

OP
cadre.9

cadre.9

Reaction score
That's not working for me. Each time it tries to download a small (2 or 6 kb) file called "x". I returned to original site, ignored the warnings and clicked download. It downloaded an .exe file called "ilividsetupv1". I'm a little apprehensive about running an executable without being certain what it is. Is this the correct file?

Nemo Aeternamn

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
That's not working for me. Each time it tries to download a small (2 or 6 kb) file called "x". I returned to original site, ignored the warnings and clicked download. It downloaded an .exe file called "ilividsetupv1". I'm a little apprehensive about running an executable without being certain what it is. Is this the correct file?

No... That's not something you should install... The file will be a .sbf file

Post script: sorry about that... Sends there was a little but of junk in the link... It's fixed.... Should work for ya now...

Last edited:

lowvolt

Reaction score
Why if you have a DROIDX did you download the DROID 2 bootstrap? You should have downloaded the DROIDX bootstrap.

From my rooted, bricked, sbf'd, rooted again and flashed DROIDX

Savagerun

Reaction score
Because he's on gingerbread and droid2 bootstrap works better on GB. Droid 2 bootstrap is just an updated version of DX bootstrap.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Nemo Aeternamn

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Why if you have a DROIDX did you download the DROID 2 bootstrap? You should have downloaded the DROIDX bootstrap.

From my rooted, bricked, sbf'd, rooted again and flashed DROIDX

The Droid 2 bootstrap is just an updated version of the Droid x bootstrap...
So the Droid 2 bootstrap works better with gingerbread....
If you use Droid x bootstrap you have to disable USB debugging...

post script: and ninja'd

LoFi

Reaction score

You don't need RSD to be able to make a Nandroid... just Bootstrap, or Rom Manager. ROM Manager allows you to flash InIt and 2nd InIt and boot into recovery. Also allows for easy management of Nandroid and app backups.

ROM Manager:
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.koushikdutta.rommanager&hl=en

Try this for SBF'ing:
http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/d...-solution-your-windows-rsd-lite-problems.html

Sent from my DROIDX

Last edited: