I love my GNex. But...

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
My only issue with this phone is that the battery life is awful for me. Ive tried every app and cant get through my day on moderate use. Android OS eats it up!!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Only way to fix Android OS eating up your battery life is a update from Google or flashing a custom rom/kernel. Stock 4.0.2 has notoriously high Android OS usage. Either deal with it until Google pushes an updated for 4.0.3 or flash a custom rom. I'm running GummyNex 3.8 and my Android OS % went down by 50% and completely fixed my battery issues. I added the extended battery and I'm now a happy camper :)

Josefius

Reaction score
Anyone have an ETA when 4.0.3 is coming out? I seem to recall something about mid January?

jcardona1

Reaction score
When I had my Nexus, I also had the extremely high Android OS usage. Went through two Nexuses and they both had the same issue. I could only get 6-7hrs with medium use, a couple more hours if I hardly touch the phone. Android OS would stay awake for the entire day! Tried flashing some custom ROMs and kernels, and they turned my phone into a hot buggy mess, and then I decided I had enough. I wish I could have ended up with a bug-free phone. It's insane to see some people getting 20+hrs while others can barely squeeze out 6.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
When I had my Nexus, I also had the extremely high Android OS usage. Went through two Nexuses and they both had the same issue. I could only get 6-7hrs with medium use, a couple more hours if I hardly touch the phone. Android OS would stay awake for the entire day! Tried flashing some custom ROMs and kernels, and they turned my phone into a hot buggy mess, and then I decided I had enough. I wish I could have ended up with a bug-free phone. It's insane to see some people getting 20+hrs while others can barely squeeze out 6.

It's all in the kernel. It wasn't until just recently that devs started figuring out deep sleep.

kmo

Reaction score
My only issue with this phone is that the battery life is awful for me. Ive tried every app and cant get through my day on moderate use. Android OS eats it up!!

You can buy an extra battery for $19.99 at VZW or with a dual charger at VZW or Amazon $39.99>>>http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Battery-Charger-Adapter-SCH-I515/dp/B006G2A46Q/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1325699043&sr=8-7
that will do the trick....decent price and you will always have back-up power. The one I bought from VZW is a 1850mAh. My wife bought the extra battery (cell) pack that holds a charge. Android 4G phones still have a way to go with battery life, but 4G, big screens, people running apps, wifi, bluetooth, movies. etc all day isn't going to have power all day long. Even a good computer only gets 3-5 hours of continuous use....since I bought my GN haven't used my spare battery yet, getting pretty decent up time on my battery so far.

Last edited:
OP
M

MN_Vikes93

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys! I'll probably buy the extended battery when I go and get my ottetbox on Friday :)

chadh1

Reaction score
WHere is this setting?? I seemed to have missed this. Thanks.

Its in developers options in settings. Can't remember the wording exactly, but something along the lines of killing the task after you leave it. I assume this works for apps? Maybe I am wrong.

Edit: Developer Options, Apps, then check off don't keep activities.

Last edited:

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Thanks for the help guys! I'll probably buy the extended battery when I go and get my ottetbox on Friday :)

You still went with the Vikes user name after this last season?! ;)

kk4df

Reaction score
Those using a ROM, like me, are getting 20 to 30 hours under moderate use. I'm running AOKP ROM build 13 with the lean kernel 1.3.1. This is one path to much improved battery life now. I suspect stock users will eventually get some OTA updates that will extend battery life.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Beamin

Reaction score
I know this sounds crazy but leave your Wi-Fi on whether you use it or not. It is the opposite of what you would think will help you. Search around in android central. There may be some info here as well. There seems to be some kind of bug or something. Toggle 4G and get yourself an external battery as well.