I keep getting a system update failed message after trying to update

bigerman55

Reaction score
I have the original Droid razr from 2011 and i went to download the new system update i waited a few minutes for it to download and it pops up like it should asking if i wanted to install now or later. i click install now, and it shuts down starts installing and goes about 1/4th of the way and then gives me a exclamation point in a triangle, then reboots and starts up and says "System update failed". I really want the new jelly bean OS for my android. Can someone tell me what is wrong? and what i can do to fix it?

Thanks.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
I have the original Droid razr from 2011 and i went to download the new system update i waited a few minutes for it to download and it pops up like it should asking if i wanted to install now or later. i click install now, and it shuts down starts installing and goes about 1/4th of the way and then gives me a exclamation point in a triangle, then reboots and starts up and says "System update failed". I really want the new jelly bean OS for my android. Can someone tell me what is wrong? and what i can do to fix it?

Thanks.
Well there could be a couple of things going on. First, what system version are you running (menu>settings>about phone). Secondly, have you rooted your phone, or has it ever been rooted? And last, if rooted, have you deleted or removed any apps? There are a few apps (commonly referred to as bloatware) that can safely be removed without root and won't cause a problem when trying to get an OTA update. However, if an app is removed that required you to be rooted to remove it, then an OTA update will fail unless that app is replaced.

moset

Reaction score
Wait! Are you getting an OTA update message? Or did you download the Christmas leak. I'm confused. What you describe sounds like an OTA push. That would be news.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
B

bigerman55

Reaction score
Well there could be a couple of things going on. First, what system version are you running (menu>settings>about phone). Secondly, have you rooted your phone, or has it ever been rooted? And last, if rooted, have you deleted or removed any apps? There are a few apps (commonly referred to as bloatware) that can safely be removed without root and won't cause a problem when trying to get an OTA update. However, if an app is removed that required you to be rooted to remove it, then an OTA update will fail unless that app is replaced.

1.Yes i have rooted it. and i unrooted it by removing SuperUser and the other things it had on there.
2.When i go to menu>settings>about phone, the model number is "Droid Razr" instead of the model number.. idk why.
3. the android version is.. 2.3.5
4. i have to replace the app(superuser)?

OP
B

bigerman55

Reaction score
Wait! Are you getting an OTA update message? Or did you download the Christmas leak. I'm confused. What you describe sounds like an OTA push. That would be news.

Its just a system update, by going to the settings and checking for updates. allows me to do download and asks if i want to installs, then fails everytime.

moset

Reaction score
So, you're on Gingerbread. I think you have to unroot, which will require more than just removing SU.
You may be able to find an old thread here with a link to the files you need to get you back to stock GB as well as unroot. Try to Google droid Razr ICS update. The update file name well match the build number that you are on currently. You have to be stock, official GB to update, including all system apps. I'm sure someone here can help.
Maybe post a new topic asking how to update Razr to ICS from rooted GB.
Good luck!

OP
B

bigerman55

Reaction score
So, you're on Gingerbread. I think you have to unroot, which will require more than just removing SU.
You may be able to find an old thread here with a link to the files you need to get you back to stock GB as well as unroot. Try to Google droid Razr ICS update. The update file name well match the build number that you are on currently. You have to be stock, official GB to update, including all system apps. I'm sure someone here can help.
Maybe post a new topic asking how to update Razr to ICS from rooted GB.
Good luck!

Thanks for the help man. I appreciate it.

moset

Reaction score
Updated my phone completely. got the new ICS and everything. on 4.0.4 and theres two problems.
1.Home button wont work.
2. Lock screen doesnt pop up after locking it
how do i fix those?

Have you formatted cache ? System cache?

Maybe FDR?

OP
B

bigerman55

Reaction score
Have you formatted cache ? System cache?

Maybe FDR?

Yeah. I fixed it. All i did was restore it again and clear the cache again. then it started working after i restarted again. Thanks for all the help man. You're a really nice person.

moset

Reaction score
Glad it worked for you. Might as well get the Christmas JB now. Lol