I have an idea for a little game, what now?

SKsix

Reaction score
Hello!

I have what I think is a good idea for a game on android.

Its pretty easy, nothing super graphical or anything.

Where do I go now? I have few or less than few programming skills.

I guess there are two ways of dealing with this.

Nr 1. Give the idea away.

Nr 2. Learn how to.

So where do I go to learn this stuff? Can I find it on the interwebs? Do you have any sites, tutorials that will learn me this?

Thanks for answers :)

SKsix

peter_kosmas

Reaction score
I would suggest starting by reading a book !!!
I you do not have any Programming skills enough then the best thing would be to start reading Java and Object Oriented Programming .
then you will need 2 Books .
1 for Java Programming
and 1 for android.

UntitledKingdom

Reaction score
Website
untitledkingdom.co
Giving ide idea away means usually someone you can pay to make you the product and then place it in the app store - well this costs money, so if theree's only small budget to it, it'd be better to learn how to write code yourself. Apart from the fact that you'll learn to wrote code which is kind of useful.
As NYT wrote last year:
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/29/technology/code-academy-as-career-game-changer.html
that's a good enough incentive for me...

markkessler

Reaction score
I would like to suggest you to read programming books

Last edited by a moderator:

stoony

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
You can give a try to a game framework like LIBGDX ( libgdx ). There are some "starter friendly" tutorials but as suggested by others, you will also have to learn a bit about the JAVA language itself, maybe one of these tutorial sites can help you :
Hello World
Java Tutorial

The other point is game design itself... Usually "an idea" is not enough to start something even in a "code and see" approach, you have to clarify at least what would be the perimeter of your minimal prototype build... I mean answer questions as which asset I gonna use, how GUI will be designed and fit to various resolution, define an entire game cycle. I don't exactly know what is behind your "idea" but there are also some steps between idea itself and making some line of codes. I'd advice to have a look to gamasutra or some game design sites related to your game genre :
Creating A Great Design Document