I am so glad sites like these exist... need some help with install problem

dukester544600

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S3
Good afternoon, my name is Michael and this is my first post regarding my galaxy s3. I have used forums for problems in the past for other things so I'm hoping I can have some luck with this one. Currently I am having an issue with reinstalling facebook messenger. I used to have Facebook messenger on my galaxy s3. One day it wouldn't work so I uninstalled in and attempted to to reinstall the app through the app store. Every time I try and install it I get the error message I wrote below. Can anyone provide me some insight as to how to fix this. When the error appears It give you six options when you click on "get help troubleshooting". None of the option fixed the issue.

The error is worded in the following way:

Can't install app

"messenger" can't be installed. Try again, and if the problem continues, get help troubleshooting. (error code -24).

Thank you, for any insight you can offer.

OP
D

dukester544600

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S3
Ok thank you for the link. My phone is not rooted that I know of, nor do I really even know what that is. I clicked the part of the link where is said click here if its not rooted and that might as well be Latin to me lol. Can anyone tell me what I am supposed to do with that info in a dumbed down version.

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
What version of Android do you have? You can find that in settings/About phone, it'll be under Android version.

Either way, you might be able to go to Settings/apps, select the messenger app & clear data, clear cache. If those options are not visible, then select Storage & the options should be there. Once cleared, I would delete/uninstall the app & try to re-download it. Either from the Play Store or from that link.

Tapped from a Nexus 6

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.
Try going to phone settings, Applications, scroll over to All, scroll down to Google Play Store, tap it, tap clear data. At first it might be grayed out when you get to it but it that's just you're phone calculating the data being used and will turn to normal shortly and at that point you can tap the Clear Data. You'll have to sign back in to your account afterwards but it should help. You should be able to download and install the app normally after that.
Chime back in if that doesn't work.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

OP
D

dukester544600

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S3
Welcome to the forum.
Try going to phone settings, Applications, scroll over to All, scroll down to Google Play Store, tap it, tap clear data. At first it might be grayed out when you get to it but it that's just you're phone calculating the data being used and will turn to normal shortly and at that point you can tap the Clear Data. You'll have to sign back in to your account afterwards but it should help. You should be able to download and install the app normally after that.
Chime back in if that doesn't work.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><
I tried it but it didn't help. I can upload my photos to my computer and do a factory reset. Would that be easier at this point? I have tried so many things with no luck. I have AVG on my phone could some how be blocking the app from installing?

OP
D

dukester544600

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S3
I tried it but it didn't help. I can upload my photos to my computer and do a factory reset. Would that be easier at this point? I have tried so many things with no luck. I have AVG on my phone could some how be blocking the app from installing?

I apologize it just worked for some reason. Thank you very kindly for the assistance.

OP
D

dukester544600

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S3
Which one worked so we can mark it solved?

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><
I used your recommendation and it worked. I was able to reinstall messenger however I now have another problem. Every time I go into the app it says "unfortunately messenger has stopped working" and kicks me out of the app and I have to go back into it. It also shows I have a message on my Facebook page but I don't see any new messages when I go into the app.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I used your recommendation and it worked. I was able to reinstall messenger however I now have another problem. Every time I go into the app it says "unfortunately messenger has stopped working" and kicks me out of the app and I have to go back into it. It also shows I have a message on my Facebook page but I don't see any new messages when I go into the app.
In that case you might find clearing data in the Facebook app itself vs Play Store data fixes it. Again, you'll lose anything saved and have to log back in.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

Reactions: CJM
OP
D

dukester544600

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S3
In that case you might find clearing data in the Facebook app itself vs Play Store data fixes it. Again, you'll lose anything saved and have to log back in.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

So I have tried to clear the data in both the play store and the messenger app itself and no change. When I go into the app it closes itself in about 5 seconds. Then I have to go back into the app. It will work fine until I exit the app. If I go back into the app when I need it again it will close itself again. It also doesn't indicate if I have a new message.