How to update pre-installed apps?

dankish

Reaction score
For example, my Droid 2 came with Swype pre-installed and I'd like to know how I can update it? Since it came with the phone and the Market doesn't detect it (I don't even see Swype on there... I thought you could buy it?), how do you get updates? Just like Gmail, Facebook, etc. was installed, if you go to the Market it doesn't detect that you have it installed, so you install it again and then receive the updates. When you install it from the Market, does it just overwrite the app and act like it wasn't pre-installed? I've looked for an answer to this with no luck. I hope some of you guys can answer this! I really want new features/fixes to the apps that came with my Droid 2!
Thanks!

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
Swype isn't in the market, it's only being OEM'd at this point...presumably updates will come w/the Android OS updates, and/or at some point Swype will be available in the Market.

Gmail is available as an update in the market right now, to 2.3.

The Facebook we have by default is integrated into the OS, so will likely also be updated via OS updates.

There is a separate Facebook app in the market as well...

If you update an app like Gmail the update is layered over the original version...works fine.